XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

08 XKR on Autotrader

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

The picture in the Autotrader is taken at the Texascarsdirect.com sales location in Dallas. It was likely pulled from their website inventory photos. I've bought a couple cars from them and recognize their pics.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts

OK... here's the reply from the "seller" LOL! I guess I should call them the "SCAMMER".

It is still available for sale!
We are currently signed up for a protection program offered by Amazon and we would like to close the deal through them. If you are not aware of this program you should know that it will allow you to test drive and inspect the vehicle before paying us. You will get a 7-days inspection period starting from the day the vehicle arrives at your door to decide whether you want to keep the vehicle or not before they release the funds to us. You can have a mechanic perform a detailed inspection and also you can have a title company research the title and be sure that there are no liens or other problems with the title. The title and a bill of sale signed by my husband and notarized will arrive together with the vehicle.
If we reach an agreement, we are willing to take care of the shipping because the shipping was already paid by us for the buyer that I told you about. The shipping company will not refund us in full but offered to ship the vehicle anywhere within continental US, so it is at their warehouse and it's ready to be shipped anytime. It will be a big advantage for you if you decide to move the vehicle to your location.
If you have cash just send me your name, address, phone# or your Amazon ID and I'll ask them to fill you in with the transaction details.
It's very simple to create a Amazon ID: when you sign up on ( www.amazon.com ) you will need an email address and a password! After you will finish the registration your Amazon ID will be your e-mail address you just used for creating your account !
Looking forward for your reply if you are interested in the vehicle and I will send you more details about the deal or vehicle as well.
And here's my reply:

I'm sorry, but I'm a little confused. Where is the car located? I need to look at it before buying it. The price seemed very reasonable, but I don't even know if it runs.

Oh, I just reread your email. I understand that I can drive the car before buying it, but if I decide not to buy it, won't you lose your money for the shipping? I'd hate for you to lose money on shipping when I'm not sure if I want to buy it. My wife and I are retired and we have lots of time on our hands. We can make a little road trip to look at the car, then I could drive it back and she could drive the other car. If I decide not to buy it, then you're not out any money. If I remember correctly you are in Florida. My wife and I could be there on Saturday. Please have your husband give me a call so we can discuss: 919-XXX-XXXX

By the way, I went to Amazon to try to get my Amazon ID, but I couldn't find it. I just log in to Amazon using my email address, XXXXXXX@gmail.com. Is that my Amazon ID? Also, I'm obviously not going to send cash through the mail. I can send you a cashier's check if we come to an agreement.

Thank you and God bless,
Sam
So... this is obviously a scam, but it's has a twist I haven't seen before. How is he going to allow me to look at a car that he can't ship to me before I send him any money? Obviously he can't. So somehow he's going to try to get me to send him money first. I'm guessing that he's going to send me a fake cashier's check, and then have me send some of the non-existent money back to him. Of course, the money I send back will be my own real money (not that I'm going to do that. I'm speaking hypothetically).

Old 03-11-2011, 10:39 AM
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

You're a slick one, Rev! Go get 'em.

You the MAN!

Old 03-14-2011, 09:34 PM
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Got a reply also... Ha

Sam, My reply from them is word for word the same, but from Mary...
Lets both have some fun....

>>>
Pictures attached:
We are currently signed up for a protection program offered by Amazon and we would like to close the deal through them. If you are not aware of this program you should know that it will allow you to test drive and inspect the vehicle before paying us. You will get a 7-days inspection period starting from the day the vehicle arrives at your door to decide whether you want to keep the vehicle or not before they release the funds to us. You can have a mechanic perform a detailed inspection and also you can have a title company research the title and be sure that there are no liens or other problems with the title. The title and a bill of sale signed by my husband and notarized will arrive together with the vehicle.
If we reach an agreement, we are willing to take care of the shipping because the shipping was already paid by us for the buyer that I told you about. The shipping company will not refund us in full but offered to ship the vehicle anywhere within continental US, so it is at their warehouse and it's ready to be shipped anytime. It will be a big advantage for you if you decide to move the vehicle to your location.
If you have cash just send me your name, address, phone# or your Amazon ID and I'll ask them to fill you in with the transaction details.
It's very simple to create a Amazon ID: when you sign up on ( www.amazon.com ) you will need an email address and a password! After you will finish the registration your Amazon ID will be your e-mail address you just used for creating your account !
Looking forward for your reply if you are interested in the vehicle and I will send you more details about the deal or vehicle as well.

Best Wishes!
Mary Godinez
<<<

Tom. Now for the fun part...

Last edited by panels; 03-14-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

I can think of no way to win with a criminal, he has no car and no investment to lose, you are losing your time playing around with him. In the end, you have nothing either, so it all puts you in the box with him. Doesn't sound fun to me.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by oldmots
I can think of no way to win with a criminal, he has no car and no investment to lose, you are losing your time playing around with him. In the end, you have nothing either, so it all puts you in the box with him. Doesn't sound fun to me.
I was just curious how he was going to pull off the scam. He says that he'll ship me the car and let me test drive it for 7 days before I ever send him money. I wanted to see how he could pull that off.

However, I take pleasure in messing with these scammers. I've had several of them Fedex me fake cashier's checks. I have a UPS store mailbox, so they never get access to my real name or address. It costs them money to send it Fedex, and that reduces the profitability of their scam. Apparently they prefer to send the checks by Fedex. I guess it gives the potential mark less time to figure out they are being scammed.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:31 AM

Me too Sam, I agree with you. I am curious how they will pull this off.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by panels
Me too Sam, I agree with you. I am curious how they will pull this off.
They must have gotten tired of my questions. I was playing dumb. They haven't responded to my last email.

I've been rejected by a scammer. Does that make me a loser?

Old 03-15-2011, 08:43 AM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Rev - I went through the same thing. On my case the person's name is Felicia Hermann and she resides somewhere in New Jersey. Rather than Amazon id, she recommends Google id. It was an '08 cabrio XKR for $28K, and I think they picked a picture from a Pottstown PA independent dealer, forgot the name, but they seem to be as well-known as the Texas Cars Direct in Dallas.

I had some work travel at the time, and just lost track on this. It's amazing the kind of scam that people think about.

What's even more surprising is - when you Google on the web, some people have been actually victimized by this type of scam.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/...9dc5236c&hl=en

It's just as bad as the Kiki Motors Inc/Extreme Motors Inc variety ....

http://forums.ebay.com/db1/topic/Eba...geID=514335106

Old 03-16-2011, 01:49 PM
Default Drum rollllllll Please - here is the hook

Transaction Overview #8514078957

Dear Customer (******@gmail.com) ,

You are receiving this e-mail because the seller Jose Godinez, has selected Amazon Payments to handle a secure online transaction with you.

Vehicle Info:

How to start the transaction:

Year: 2008

Make:

Jaguar
Model: XKR
Price: US $25,000.00
Mileage : 27,309
Exterior color: Blue

In order to start a transaction please reply to this email with the following information:
Full name:
Delivery Address:
Phone Number:
Additional Comments (if any):

Complete your transaction in 5 easy steps:

Situations for which Protection is offered:

Step 1: The Buyer and the Seller agree to terms
Both parties agree to terms of the transaction, which includes a description of the vehicle, sale price, number of days for the Buyer's inspection, and any shipping information.

Step 2: The Buyer pays Amazon Payments
The Buyer submits the payment to Amazon Payments .
When payment is received, it will be verified and secured into a non-interest bearing trust account.

Step 3: The Seller ships vehicle to the Buyer
Upon payment verification, the Seller is authorized to ship vehicle. Amazon Payments verifies that the Buyer receives the shipment. The inspection period will begin when the vehicle is delivered.

Step 4: The Buyer accepts the vehicle
When the Buyer accepts the vehicle or the inspection period expires (at which point, the Buyer automatically accepts), the disbursement of payment will begin. Please note that Amazon Payments may perform additional verification before funds are released.

What happens if the Buyer rejects the vehicle?
When the Buyer rejects the vehicle during the inspection period, Amazon Payments will inform the Seller that the Buyer has rejected the vehicle. The Seller is responsible for paying the return shipping costs, and insurance costs upon rejection. On return, Amazon Payments will reimburse the Buyer the full amount.

Step 5: Amazon Payments pays the Seller
Amazon Payments pays the Seller after all conditions of the transaction are met

Amazon Payments Protection offers protection only for losses associated with eligible transactions for qualifying vehicles in the following situations:

1. You pay for a vehicle and never receive it.
2. You send a refundable deposit for a vehicle and never receive it.
3. You pay for a vehicle and receive it but suffer losses because:

The vehicle has an undisclosed or unknown lien against its title.
The vehicle make, model or year is different than what was described in the Seller's listing at the time you placed your offer.
A title is required for the vehicle by your state and the Seller's state but you did not receive a title from the Seller and it is not possible to obtain a title from the appropriate DMV.
The vehicle has a title with an undisclosed salvage, rebuilt/ rebuildable, unrebuildable, reconstructed, scrapped/ destroyed, junk, lemon, manufacturer buyback, or water damage brand.
The vehicle is less than 20 years old and has more than a 5,000 mile odometer discrepancy from the mileage as stated in the Seller's listing.
The vehicle had undisclosed engine, body, transmission, and/or frame damage at the time of purchase that will cost more than $1,000.00 to repair. The cost of repair to any one of those components must exceed $1,000.00.
You pay for a vehicle that is different than it was described by the seller.

Copyright © 2011 Amazon Payments Inc. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:53 PM
Default Just got this mail also.

Hi Tom,

I have contacted Amazon, did they contacted you?

Best Wishes!
Mary Godinez

Sorry if I offend anyone but how can someone be so stupid to fall for this...
Tom

If I could only think of a way to scam the scammer...

Old 03-16-2011, 06:29 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I haven't read every post in this thread so maybe I'm missing something, but how would the "seller" ever get hold of the money if that amazon payments thing is used, and they don't actually ship the vehicle?

Old 03-16-2011, 08:27 PM
Default Amazon verification does not exist to my knowledge...

Originally Posted by OhioXK
I haven't read every post in this thread so maybe I'm missing something, but how would the "seller" ever get hold of the money if that amazon payments thing is used, and they don't actually ship the vehicle?
Amazon does have a money transfer just like paypal. They do NOT have the system as described in the post. If the money is sent it's gone... No verifications and all the B.S. listed about the verification process. That's how they get trusting people on this...

Tom

Old 03-16-2011, 09:32 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks, I didn't realize that portion was copied from the seller's email. I'd like to say it's hard to believe that people wouldn't double check it with amazon before sending money, however... that is obviously not the case.