XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

1997 xk8 4.0 , leaks and seepage?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2021, 06:28 AM
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Rosevillesister
Please forgive my ignorance in using this forum, direct me if I need to be posting this query elsewhere.
Dear Jaguar fans, at the age of 70, I have purchased a gorgeous Cabernet red 1997xk8 convertible, 56k miles, plenty of service records. Had a pre- purchase tech check it out, bought CarFax, etc. Was my birthday/divorce gift to myself. Was planning to have serviced, discovered oil leak under front end, but oil dipstick showed clean and full. Took it to local garage with good reviews(not a Jag place), as I am new to Northern Calif, Near Sacramento.
After they had my car for 6 hours, I got nervous and called. Boy oh boy! They had a huge long list of see-pages, leaks, gaskets, rear differential, valve cover, front wheel bearings, ....DIDNT have any kind of estimate, as they were “tracking down parts”, and will call me before noon tomorrow.
The service manager actually asked me if I loved the car and wanted to be able to drive it for FIVE MORE YEARS! What!!???
I may be ignorant about the mechanics of a Jaguar, but I think I’m being insulted.
It seems that cleaning the breather valve is a common solution to “leaks”. Just doing a little research. Did ask that the estimates be prioritized.
By the way, the oil leak? Overfilled. I’m a 70-year old woman and guessed that.
Looking for opinion and advice dear people.
Good morning,

Welcome to the forum. Looks like you have found several very knowledgeable and helpful members. Enjoy your car!

The following users liked this post:
Rosevillesister (07-19-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 02:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 503 Posts

If the oil level is too high you get oil in the air filter ...easiest way to reduce the oil level is to unscrew the oil filter .This will drop the oil about 1/4 inch then put it back. Access is easy.

Old 07-20-2021, 07:24 AM
Received 172 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Oil leak, overfilled

Ahhhh thank you! This has been the most amazing source of info. Everyone is so tuned in and helpful...I never imagined a community like this. I’ve belonged to forums of different types(not car) over the last few years, but this one beats them all.
Taking the car in for an oil change this morning, having only driven it a few miles since BobRoy had a look at it.. Car hates sitting in garage, needs exercise.

Old 07-20-2021, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

This forum will always prove to be by far the best tool in your toolbox. Fantastic members here. I participate in three other automotive forums and they do not even come close to this one in terms of quality of information provided, willingness to assist, and overall friendliness towards each other...

The following 5 users liked this post by Jon89:
BobRoy (07-20-2021), kstevusa (07-20-2021), ozbot (07-21-2021), piper 888 (01-14-2022), Rosevillesister (07-20-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 12:17 PM
Received 203 Likes on 143 Posts

Jon, totally agree. It's a great group of very knowledge people. Great resource when you've done an impulse purchase of an XK that barely runs. Just got back from a top down cruise. Not ready for Seattle yet but I can now start and drive the car daily. Cindy, Brit Car Service is booked 2 months out.

The following 2 users liked this post by CA Jag:
dfbender (07-22-2021), Rosevillesister (07-20-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 12:27 PM
Default XK service

Wow, Brit’s booked 2 months out?? Thank God Bob will be having a thorough look-see for me. Nice guy, fount of knowledge, and not booked out..lol.
i really am regretting my inability to do simple mechanical work, but best advice I’ve gotten so far is to drive the car and learn to pay attention to how it sounds and feels(yes,gauges too).
So far. I’ve almost mastered the art of getting in and out of the car without looking like a total idiot.....and I’ve got a great hat( sorry, made myself laugh).

Old 07-20-2021, 05:46 PM
Received 203 Likes on 143 Posts

Yeah Bob knows more about XK's than either Brit shop in town. On the dash, the temp gauge is 100% useless. It's an idiot light. Suggest either a Real Gauges conversion (so temp gauge shows actual temperature) or connect a cell phone to the OBD port (under the dash near drivers door). OBD port is the same connection to pull error codes. Cell phone can show exact engine temperature and battery voltage. Does the hat make it easier to get in/out? If so, where do I get a couple? If just one doesn't work, I can wear multiples.

Rosevillesister (07-24-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 07:24 PM
Default CAJag

Originally Posted by CA Jag
Yeah Bob knows more about XK's than either Brit shop in town. On the dash, the temp gauge is 100% useless. It's an idiot light. Suggest either a Real Gauges conversion (so temp gauge shows actual temperature) or connect a cell phone to the OBD port (under the dash near drivers door). OBD port is the same connection to pull error codes. Cell phone can show exact engine temperature and battery voltage. Does the hat make it easier to get in/out? If so, where do I get a couple? If just one doesn't work, I can wear multiples.
Pretty darn funny! But, seriously, a cool hat(from the 1950s) DOES make ti easier to get in and out of the Jag.......Okay, that and the fact that I’m 5’ tall...Not an Amazonian giant like my sister, at 5’3”.
I concur, re:Bob, he knows stuff. And he didn’t make me feel stupid. He tried to give me as much useful information as he could, all the while checking the car. His hard-earned insights will likely save me all sorts of anxiety. Having now had the car “inspected by two(yes two) shops, I am more confident than ever that I will eventually relax(unclench). More driving, less kvetching. It is what it is. Life is waaaay too short not to enjoy yourself.
Oil is changed from the “overfill” that previous (short term)owner perpetrated. The man was not a Jag lover....but he loves his “bug out”MOG.
So now I’m planning a drive along Hwy 1, Big Sur, Monterey, Carmel...my homeground.
Top down(car top), lucky hat on.

Hans Amstein (01-26-2022)
Old 07-21-2021, 06:38 PM
Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

RoseV

I own a 05 SuperV8, so learned about modern Jags through this ownership. I have a chance to buy a very nice 99 XK8, 92K miles.

Just had it inspected yesterday at a place in Naples FLA. They did a reasonable job but left a few things out that any prospective owner would want to know. And while they did identify many issues of oil leaks, valve cover gaskets, differential, minor cracks in front control arm bushings, etc. they left out the fact that the tires are smaller than OEM 225 x17 vs 245 vs 17, and the rims are not original (replaced original rims with TSW "Snetterton" model (ugh!) AND the fact that the bottom rocker panel has been coated with rust proofing (well done , paint matches, under car seems very clean from pics taken during inspection but bothers me big time that the rust protection is there). They said there was no rust and pics look clean, but if they missed that which I saw on casual observation of a photo not intended to show it then what else did they care not to see.

Anyway, the report does make it seem like I need to immediately dump 5,000$ into the car if I buy it, but I know that's not necessary. So some places do try to literally scare up business.

Anyway good luck with the car, it is really pretty.

Old 07-22-2021, 02:52 AM

RoseV

I was just going through the Stickies at the top of the forum and the amount of info there is incredible if you care to go through it for background.

also check out a website called tothegarage. This site is hosted by a longtime enthusiast owner and describes in great detail the XK8 experience. He also has a youtube channel that documents and shows repairs, secretes and much more in great detail. In addition this site also hosts "The XK8 Bible" which is a 35 page document compiled by an XK8 owner over 10 years of ownership and documents EVERYTHING he's experienced with the car.

The other resource is a youtube channel called )&DR Modurol. This is a YT resource with incredible info.

Cheers

CA Jag (07-22-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 02:53 AM

The YT channel is called O&DR Modurol

Old 07-22-2021, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by RoadMaster2
RoseV

I was just going through the Stickies at the top of the forum and the amount of info there is incredible if you care to go through it for background.

also check out a website called tothegarage. This site is hosted by a longtime enthusiast owner and describes in great detail the XK8 experience. He also has a youtube channel that documents and shows repairs, secretes and much more in great detail. In addition this site also hosts "The XK8 Bible" which is a 35 page document compiled by an XK8 owner over 10 years of ownership and documents EVERYTHING he's experienced with the car.

The other resource is a youtube channel called )&DR Modurol. This is a YT resource with incredible info.

Cheers
Absolutely WOW! What a great compilation of XK8 sources! I will be getting a 3-ring binder for all the information, tips, tricks, and stories(and little subject tabs). Thank you so much for adding to my “library”.
I don’t think I can say it too often, “this forum’s members are THE BEST!”
Almost unclenching....lol! Drove to and into Sacramento Airport last night. I don’t remember it being so crowded at 12 midnight.
Am gratified, though, as I’ve had many nice comments about my car. (Huge smiley face!).

The following 2 users liked this post by Rosevillesister:
CA Jag (07-22-2021), dfbender (07-22-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 775 Likes on 466 Posts

Rosevillesister came by my shop today so I could see if I could find the source of the oil leak. First thing the car is too low. I couldn't get the pad for my lift under the lift points. I had to use my floor jack to raise it so I could get the pads under the lift points.
The shocks, springs, and mounts have been changed. The springs were red, if that means anything, and the shocks were bilstein. I don't know if the PO did something to lower the car.

The right front has a lot of play and I would suspect wheel bearings. I suggested this should be her first repair and do it before going on long trips.

Now to the oil leak. The entire pan was wet and all around the gasket. There was oil, not wet, on the front sump ledge and the lower sides of the timing cover. The wettest spot was around the oil pan gasket. My suspicion is that this is were the leak was coming from and the oil on the sump and timing cover was blown up there while driving the car.

I dropped the oil pan. There was no debris in the pan. The strainer on the pickup was also clean. Completely cleaned the pan and on the sump where the pan sits. Installed new gasket, refilled oil, and started it up. Raised it back up and could find no detectable leaks. Hopefully that will stop the leak. She will let me know in a few days.

The following 5 users liked this post by BobRoy:
CA Jag (07-25-2021), kstevusa (07-25-2021), michaelh (07-24-2021), oldjaglover (02-21-2022), Rosevillesister (07-24-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member

Well done....

Rosevillesister (07-25-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jon89
Well done....

Not quite Jon. She still has a leak. Not leaking as much but still leaking. When I did the pan it was wet around the belt tensioner. I think it must be a leak at the VVT solenoid, in the timing cover on a 97, or the cam cover. When they did the tensioners they could of possibly used AJ27 cam cover gaskets, causing the leak. There was no detail on part numbers on the invoice.
Told her I would stop by tonight to see if I can find the source.

The following 3 users liked this post by BobRoy:
CA Jag (07-27-2021), DavidYau (07-27-2021), Rosevillesister (07-27-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member

Hang in there, Bob. I have full confidence that you will find that leak....

The following 3 users liked this post by Jon89:
CA Jag (07-27-2021), dfbender (07-28-2021), Rosevillesister (07-27-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 11:30 AM
Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Cam cover

Originally Posted by BobRoy
Not quite Jon. She still has a leak. Not leaking as much but still leaking. When I did the pan it was wet around the belt tensioner. I think it must be a leak at the VVT solenoid, in the timing cover on a 97, or the cam cover. When they did the tensioners they could of possibly used AJ27 cam cover gaskets, causing the leak. There was no detail on part numbers on the invoice.
Told her I would stop by tonight to see if I can find the source.
Hello, in my case a had a burnt oil smell every time a started the car and could smell it at stop lights. When Arthur flushed the brake fluid he notice the oil was coming out of the cam cover and dripping on top of the exhaust. We order a new gasket but in process of replacing the old we discovered that the cover was bend or warped. We had to order a new cover to fix the leak.
Good luck

The following 4 users liked this post by san_arthur:
BobRoy (07-27-2021), CA Jag (07-27-2021), DavidYau (07-27-2021), dfbender (07-28-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 05:45 AM

So - Miss Rose - Has Mr. Bob found the source of your leak?

Rosevillesister (08-07-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member

I stopped by here house one night and took another look at it. The cam covers and the seal fot the VVT solenoid do have some seepage but it doesn't look to me that they are not leaking enough to cause the size of her leak. It is possible it could be the timing cover.

Its a tight area between the cooling fans and the engine and the radiator hose doesn't help either. I might need to remove the serpentine belt, the tensioner pulley, and the fans to get a better view.

I'm going to have her bring the car back to my shop. We have both been busy the past few weekends. If it works for her next weekend might work.

I searched our site and found a member that had a leak in the exact same place. He posted a picture of oil dripping from the tensioner that looked the same as Cindy's. The member never posted where the leak was so it was of no help.

The following 2 users liked this post by BobRoy:
CA Jag (08-07-2021), Rosevillesister (08-07-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 11:01 AM
Default Elusive leak

Originally Posted by RoadMaster2
So - Miss Rose - Has Mr. Bob found the source of your leak?
I know Bob is determined, God bless him!! From what I saw up top and underneath the car, so many tight places...and , to me, looked covered and inaccessible. Quite the machinery puzzle, a TETRIS of metal.
But, Lord, thing sounds like it wants to RUN when I start it up. Doesn’t purr, it growls.

Quick Reply: 1997 xk8 4.0 , leaks and seepage?