XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

1997 XK8 Engine Failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2022, 10:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1997 XK8 Engine Failure

1997 XK8 Convertible with 42,600 original miles. Car was sitting for almost 10 years. It was started every other week and it had a battery tender all the time. I would drive it around the block and back to the garage. I have replaced spark plugs, cleaned injectors, cleaned throttle, cleaned mass airflow and added new fuel. At first when check engine goes off the OB2 Scanner read "misfired injector 3 and later 6. Failure feels like if the car is not mixing or burning fuel properly. Now after few troubleshooting and further cleaning, check engine hasn't light back so scanner won't say anything. But the engine failure persist. Before when the misfiring it felt like if one cylinder was not kicking in. Now it has a clogging sound and obviously a clogging performance. When you step on the pedal from 0, you can feel the clogging and then it feels like it disappear but in reality I think it doesn't. It is just that you do not feel it because you are in speed motion. Any advise from my fellows Jag's fanatics ?

Old 03-10-2022, 11:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Ok we'd like to help, can you maybe say whats wrong differently?
You see "engine failure" means something different than you seem to describe. Failure = doesn't work, dead. It sounds like it runs, but runs poorly?

Could you say what clogging means? Maybe its me but I can't picture it in this context.

Does the engine start?
Does it idle?
Can you drive the car?

What causes bad symptoms (ex: press on gas pedal (how much/when)? What are the symptoms?

Does clogging mean flat spot? Hessitation??

Is the air intake tube screwed down to the throttle body? Are there cracks (air leaks) in the corrugated tube? Air filter reasonably clean (hold it up to the sun - you can see sunlight through it right?)

So, say more to help us help you.

John

Have you changed the fuel filter?

Last edited by Johnken; 03-10-2022 at 11:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
blindside (03-16-2022)
Old 03-10-2022, 11:49 PM

Failure = doesn't work, dead. It sounds like it runs, but runs poorly? ... maybe failure isn't the correct word ... it does shakes a little but not really the engine. The trembling you almost cannot feel it in the cabin or even placing your hand on the body but you can hear it coming out from the exhaust. This affects the torque and performance.

Could you say what clogging means? Maybe its me but I can't picture it in this context. ... When I said clogging I meant that bubbling sound coming from the exhaust.

Does the engine start? ... Perfectly
Does it idle? ... Idle shows no problem
Can you drive the car? ... Yes. You can drive it but you are not enjoying the ride since every time you are starting to drive away you feel the bubbling and lack of acceleration.

What causes bad symptoms (ex: press on gas pedal (how much/when)? What are the symptoms? ... Like I mentioned above, it is that first start when you hit the gas either slowly or rapidly you feel the bubbling and lack of power.

Does clogging mean flat spot? Hessitation?? ... Yep. I guess we can call it hesitation

Is the air intake tube screwed down to the throttle body? ... Yes it is well connected. Are there cracks (air leaks) in the corrugated tube? ... No cracks whatsoever. Air filter reasonably clean (hold it up to the sun - you can see sunlight through it right?) ... Air filter super clean.

So, say more to help us help you.

John

Have you changed the fuel filter? ... Fuel filter hasn't be change yet.

Old 03-11-2022, 03:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,673 Likes on 993 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaguar2373

“……Have you changed the fuel filter? ... Fuel filter hasn't be change yet.

it may have nothing to do with your issue , but change the fuel filter asap (& air filter filter too). especially if you don’t know when they are changed last.

Sorry if I’ve missed it, but
a) When the car is running, do you get any OBD-II codes ?

b) what are the fuel trim numbers ?

c) Have you done the “hard reset” on the electrical system ?

Z

Last edited by zray; 03-11-2022 at 05:49 AM.
Johnken (03-14-2022)
Old 03-11-2022, 05:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,366 Likes on 2,855 Posts

How old is the fuel in the tank? If the car sat for ten years with only occasional start-ups, that could be an issue....

The following 3 users liked this post by Jon89:
Johnken (03-14-2022), RJ237 (03-11-2022), zray (03-11-2022)
Old 03-11-2022, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 735 Likes on 502 Posts

I have a 97 so I am glad its not engine failure !! Just sounds like a jag calling for help.

So the simple stuff first ...plugs ...fuel filter etc

Old 03-11-2022, 04:45 PM

Perfect. Will change the fuel filter and sparks asap. Thanks !

Pistnbroke (03-12-2022)
Old 03-11-2022, 04:49 PM

I have pour newer gas in the past 2 years but answering your question ,,, gas was there for a very long time. Although I did pour fuel treatment for when the car is going to be sitting for a while. But yes it was started weekly.

Old 03-11-2022, 05:01 PM

it may have nothing to do with your issue , but change the fuel filter asap (& air filter filter too). especially if you don’t know when they are changed last. Air filter is new. Fuel filter will do asap.

Sorry if I’ve missed it, but
a) When the car is running, do you get any OBD-II codes ? ... Check engine use to light up but not anymore after I cleaned injectors.

b) what are the fuel trim numbers ? ... honestly I do not know. I will have to look if my OB-II has that feature.

c) Have you done the “hard reset” on the electrical system ? ... How do I do a hard reset ?

Old 03-12-2022, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,427 Likes on 765 Posts

This sounds like a misfire, check the following:
  • aircleaner filter
  • inspect intake tube for cracks
  • test that the MAFs is clean and working properly
  • fuel pressure should be around 55 psi
  • check fuel filter
  • drain tank and fill with known good and clean fuel
  • Check spark plug wells for oil
  • Check ignition coils, and spark plugs.
  • Check that fuel injectors are not clogged
If you get the CEL, try scanning for trouble codes so that it can help us pin point the issues more easily.

Old 03-12-2022, 11:52 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Install your OBDII code reader then start the car and drive it then put the car in park and then read your code reader. You may have a soft code and the reader being installed when it happens may capture the code. Give it a try.

Also know with the car in park it will restrict the engine from going over 2500/3000 RPM. CHANGING THE FUEL FILTER IS A GOOD IDEA.

Gus
JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Old 03-12-2022, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,371 Likes on 1,869 Posts

What scanner are you using? I ask because Jaguar has a lot of codes that are Jaguar specific. Those codes can help us determine what the problems are in your car.
You may need to find a scanner that can read deeper into your Jaguar beyond the normal OBDII stuff.

Old 03-12-2022, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

You said you have no codes, correct...?

For a 1997 car I'm not sure how to do this or if it's the best way but,,,, BEFORE you change the fuel filter -

disconnect the fuel line from the fuel rail under the hood (you'll need a cheap but special tool) and find a loooong section of hose that can be clamped to the fuel line/tube,,,,, bridge/jumper the pins where the fuel pump relay plugs in in the trunk (I hope someone else will instruct in this) and pump ALL of the old fuel and additives OUT of the tank. Replace with fresh gas and a fuel injector cleaner, replace the fuel line at the rail under hood and change the fuel filter...

Importantly - maybe wait for someone who has a better way of pumping/removing all of the old gas, additives and sludge from the tank.

​​​​​
​​​​​

kstevusa (03-12-2022)
Old 03-15-2022, 11:25 PM

• aircleaner filter = New
  • inspect intake tube for cracks = No cracks
  • test that the MAFs is clean and working properly = I know is clean but hoe do I verify is working properly ?
  • fuel pressure should be around 55 psi = Has not been checked
  • check fuel filter = already bought it will replace it this week
  • drain tank and fill with known good and clean fuel = I have pour new fuel a few times but I have not take the fuel tank out to clean tank and the lines
  • Check spark plug wells for oil = Check them ... do not have oil
  • Check ignition coils, and spark plugs = I have not check the ignition coils. Spark plugs have been check.
  • Check that fuel injectors are not clogged = Injectors have been cleaned.
If you get the CEL, try scanning for trouble codes so that it can help us pin point the issues more easily = Check Engine light hasn't light up yet

Old 03-15-2022, 11:56 PM

Will try running the car and see what happens. The thing now is that the check engine light hasn't come off again. The few runs that we did ... the car literary swallowed 1/8 of fuel. It seems like if the problem is bad synchronization between oxygen and fuel. My humble opinion.