XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

1997 XK8 Mystery Vacuum Hose (HELP!!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 07:07 PM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 1997 XK8 Mystery Vacuum Hose (HELP!!)

In replacing the octopus coolant hose, I removed a bunch of hoses and wires. After getting everything back together, I have a vacuum line "T" and an 8" - 10" hose with no place to connect it. The car starts, but doesn't want to idle because of a vaccum leak. I'm working alone and It won't run long enough for me to get out and listen for the hiss

Could anyone with a 97 take a look at the passenger side engine bay and see where this darned thing connects? It's driving me nuts to think I'm blind enough that I can't see where it goes.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by GGG; 10-14-2019 at 08:01 AM.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:15 PM

Really Sorry about the previous post. It looked like a picture when I was writing, but when it posted, it was just a bunch of gibberish. Ill try this again.

In replacing the octopus coolant hose, I removed a bunch of hoses and wires. After getting everything back together, I have a vacuum line "T" and an 8" - 10" hose with no place to connect it. The car starts, but doesn't want to idle because of a vacuum leak. I'm working alone and It won't run long enough for me to get out and listen for the hiss

Could anyone with a 97 take a look at the passenger side engine bay and see where this darned thing connects? It's driving me nuts to think I'm blind enough that I can't see where it goes.

Here's a picture.

This is the hose

Old 10-12-2019, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,446 Likes on 775 Posts

Originally Posted by AC0FC
Really Sorry about the previous post. It looked like a picture when I was writing, but when it posted, it was just a bunch of gibberish. Ill try this again.

In replacing the octopus coolant hose, I removed a bunch of hoses and wires. After getting everything back together, I have a vacuum line "T" and an 8" - 10" hose with no place to connect it. The car starts, but doesn't want to idle because of a vacuum leak. I'm working alone and It won't run long enough for me to get out and listen for the hiss

Here's a picture.

This is the hose

I don’t have a 97, but I’m betting that one end of the hose connects to the T. I would check if the other of the hose connects to the throttle body or the throttle body elbow. If not, my next check would be if it connects to the cam covers or the brake master cylinder.

Old 10-13-2019, 05:40 PM

Yes, the hose connects to the "T". It's the other end I'm puzzled about. The vacuum line I'm concerned about is one of two small hard plastic lines that come out of the passenger side fender. The other one goes to the black cylinder on top of the throttle body. This one goes from the fender to a "T". and then a short rubber hose to the passenger side fuel rail. The other leg of the "T" connects to about 10" - 12" rubber hose going to ?????. The "T" doesn't look to be OEM so I'm not sure if it really is correct, but it used to run and now it only starts then dies.

I've removed the throttle body twice to verify that there isn't a place to connect it.

Doesn't connect to the cam covers, there is a hard vacuum line connected to the elbow, and the booster is way on the other side and much larger hoses.

Thanks for the input though.

Old 10-13-2019, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Hi,
'98 & no cruise, but I imagine that the plumbing is partly the same.

I have the tee-piece in a similar place, but both it and the connecting pipes are smaller bore than yours appears. I've just tried to take a shot but I can't get the light good enough for my phone camera.

On mine, 1 matches yours, 3 is blanked off, and 2 goes to the throttle elbow here:

Coukd that be it?

The following users liked this post:
AC0FC (10-15-2019)
Old 10-15-2019, 12:39 AM
Default Excellent, that fixed one problem but created another.

THANKS! Today I also found a 97 locally and the "T" does, in fact, connect to the throttle body riser like you mentioned. But unlike yours, on mine:
#1 goes to a connector on the fuel rail (I think it's the fuel pressure regulator).
#2 I now know, goes to the throttle body riser, but
#3 connects to a small diameter hard line that goes through a hole in the fender (The hard line on the top of the black throttle body module also goes there.) I'm not sure if any of that is cruise control related.

But now the hose I have, incorrectly, going to the to the throttle body riser has nothing to connect to. The NEW mystery hose is a larger plastic hose and also comes out of the fender, but just to the rear of the ground wire. It goes into the foil wrap (behind the passenger side head) and is the right diameter and length to go straight on the nipple on the throttle body riser. I couldn't dig any deeper on the one I was looking at today because the owner started looking nervous about having a stranger prodding around his baby.

This is my NEW mystery hose. Do you have this hose and if so where does yours connect?

Old 10-15-2019, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,557 Posts

...but unlike yours, on mine:
#1 goes to a connector on the fuel rail (I think it's the fuel pressure regulator).
#2 I now know, goes to the throttle body riser, but
#3 connects to a small diameter hard line that goes through a hole in the fender (The hard line on the top of the black throttle body module also goes there.) I'm not sure if any of that is cruise control related.
Yes - they are both cruise-related

But now the hose I have, incorrectly, going to the to the throttle body riser has nothing to connect to. The NEW mystery hose is a larger plastic hose and also comes out of the fender, but just to the rear of the ground wire. It goes into the foil wrap (behind the passenger side head) and is the right diameter and length to go straight on the nipple on the throttle body riser.

This is my NEW mystery hose. Do you have this hose and if so where does yours connect?.
Yes, I do, and it connects to the other push-in connector (circled in red) on the throttle body elbow adjacent to where line #2 goes:

and then on to the brake booster inside the false bulkhead. On my car that is on the RHS, so that line must run across to the other side for your car.

I found this thread of Truck Graphics' which will guide you better from here than I can, since his car is also LHD and does have cruise:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...3/#post1810921

You're getting there!

Old 10-15-2019, 11:42 PM
Ltd
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

On my 98, the vacuum line goes into the RH fender well. Look by the coolant overflow reservoir. It’s behind the plastic wheel well liner. There’s s vacuum tank.