XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

1997 XK8 radio display, repair/replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 05:33 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question 1997 XK8 radio display, repair/replacement

My newly acquired 1997 XK8's has the original radio that has a "black" LCD display. Cannot see any station numbers or any other info, so all adjustments/tuning is currently done blind!
I assume that the radio needs replacement ??? (Or are there bulbs that need replacing?) There are numerous later model radio heads available on EBay from 1998-1999 XK8 cars. Can one of them be a good replacement head if I also swap out the center radio/controls switch bezel switching from the '97 Pt#LJA6318AB to the '98-'05 Pt#LJB6318AB? Are the connectors for power, speakers and CD changer the same?
Thanks for any help. I will have many more posts soon as the XK8 is mechanically sound but electrically challenged!!!

Attached Thumbnails 1997 XK8 radio display, repair/replacement-1997-xk8-radio-ac-controls.jpg  
Old 06-18-2016, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 655 Likes on 463 Posts

Is the LCD totally blank / black ?? If so - it's probably completely failed rather than just the backlight gone.
If that's the case - there's no way to replace "just" the LCD - they are not available.

If the backlight has gone, then it is possible to replace the bulb, but it's a major job and involves completely dismantling the front panel and circuit board.

Have you got the 'standard' or 'premium' audio system - quickest way to tell (I believe) is whether or not you have tweeters in the front side windows - opposite side of glass to the mirrors. The early Harmon Karden system is not interchangeable with the later Alpine kit although if you can get hold of a new head unit complete with connectors (and if you don't have the premium system) then it should be fairly straightforward to connect a "new" head unit to the "old" power supply and speakers etc. If you have the premium system, it's more complicated as the CD player is connected to the amplifier rather than head unit.
Wiring diagrams are available here (courtesy of Gus Glikas)

Many owners here have opted for a totally new modern head unit with aux-in, Bluetooth etc and there's plenty of information here - just depends if you want to keep the car as original as possible or bring it kicking and screaming into the 21st century !!

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Old 06-18-2016, 11:35 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Don't have all the answers but the "black" is the liquid in the Liquid Crystal Display spilling (I think). Mine has a streak of that, but it is still useable. I don't think it's fixable, maybe replaceable? You'd have to open it all up and do EE surgery.

You are correct in that the different radio options sometimes have different shapes, but I don't know how to tell which bezel goes with which shape. Checked the IPC I have, and it only listed one radio option! No help there. But I would be shocked if the connectors are any different, can't imagine they would have redone all that wiring for a simple radio upgrade.

I am parting my 97 and have the same shape radio, pn LJA4100BA if you are interested. PM me or email sjbell50@gmail.com.

Old 06-18-2016, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 655 Likes on 463 Posts

But I would be shocked if the connectors are any different, can't imagine they would have redone all that wiring for a simple radio upgrade.

Prepare to be shocked - they did !!
The later Alpine units use Ai-net connectors whereas the early Harman Karden kit has "standard" DIN connectors between CD player and head unit. The connectors for power and speakers on the head units are also different.
Also - with the premium system, on the HK units, the CD player is connected to the head unit, whereas with the Alpine system, it is connected directly to the amplifier in the boot (trunk).
I did a lot of research to try and find an LCD replacement for my radio (HK) with no success - it dates from 1997 and is, I'm afraid, obsolete. The backlight is a small incandescent bulb, but you have to unsolder the front PBC from the metal frame to get at it.

The following users liked this post:
CyJag (06-19-2016)
Old 06-19-2016, 02:23 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Thanks David and CyJag! Yes the LCD display is totally black but he unit still works. It is the base HK head with the CD changer in trunk. No Amp and no tweeters. I'd like to keep it original for now while I sort out a bunch of other electrical issues with the car. Then later on I will consider upgrading to a modern all-in-one type aftermarket head. Don't want to spend any more time on the radio right now other than the time it takes to pull it and replace it. "Plug & Play" as they say. You'll know why when I post some more stuff soon. I will contact CyJag about parting out his 1997 that has that radio! (Along with some other parts.) Thanks again for the info!

Old 06-19-2016, 05:39 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DevonDavid

Prepare to be shocked - they did !!
LOL. Of course they did. Thank goodness for this board's collective wisdom, since you can't rely on logic where these cars are concerned.

Thank you for the intel!