XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

1997 XK8 Tail light assembly - ground melted - with pictures!- RESOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2023, 05:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi to anyone on this thread that's still active! Haha

I have a '98 xk8 and am having a similar issue. My brake and indicator lights are working on both sides (so still able to drive and enjoy during the day time!) but fog, side and reverse on both sides are not... Is it possible that this could be the fix for my issue too? I am really hoping so because even with my limited knowledge I would be more than happy to give this a go myself!

Thank you!

Old 09-04-2023, 03:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XxThe5tigxX
Hi to anyone on this thread that's still active! Haha

I have a '98 xk8 and am having a similar issue. My brake and indicator lights are working on both sides (so still able to drive and enjoy during the day time!) but fog, side and reverse on both sides are not... Is it possible that this could be the fix for my issue too? I am really hoping so because even with my limited knowledge I would be more than happy to give this a go myself!

Thank you!

The ground connection to the rear light cluster is common to all the lamps, so if some lamps in the cluster are working and others are not, it is unlikely this mod will fix your issue, but it's proabably a good idea to carry out the mod anyway, as ruling out one issue at a time will aid troubleshooting.

According to the wiring diagrams for the 98MY and 99MY:
- The fog lights are controlled by the security and locking module, via a relay and fuse in the trunk fuse box.
- The reverse lights are controlled directly by the security and locking module.
- The tail lights are controlled by the body processor module, via a relay and fuse in the trunk fuse box, and then via the lamp control (bulb failure) module.

There doesn't appear to be any obvious common point of failure for the lights that are not working, but since all of these units (except the body processor module) are located in the trunk, I would start by examining all of the connectors and ground points in this area. You probably want to test each of the individual lamps first though, and also make sure that each lamp is of the correct type and wattage, as I know there have been issues with incorrect lamps blowing the lamp control module.

It may also be worth you starting your own thread, as you may receive more replies vs ressurecting this very old thread.

Martin.