XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

1999 xk8 - Buy? or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2021, 12:33 PM
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Respectfully have to disagree that the "cylinder liners" were or are a problem in the USA. The cylinders had a "Nikasil" coating that was very thin and VERY hard. There were problems in places where there was sulfur in the gas. But sulfur in gasoline has been outlawed (in the U.S.) for a long time.

Bob Frisby
Boise, Idaho

The following 2 users liked this post by BoiseBob:
JimmyL (01-13-2023), Julian Black (09-02-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 03:23 PM
Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

BoiseBob,
Just got back from 40 mile roundtrip in the Silver Cat on bumpy city streets and 65 mph () freeways. Still running smooth, although it noted some uneven wear on the right front tire.
To your comment re presence of sulphur in US gasoline i have provided a to the EPA page touting their program to limit sulphur content of gasoline which started in 2000.
https://www.epa.gov/gasoline-standards/gasoline-sulfur

According to the EPA, the sulphur content of gasoline was reduced by 2004 but not completely eliminated until 2017. Below is an excerpt from the Introduction to the EPA Final Regulations which provides a summary description of the process for implementing the elimination of sulphur from gasoline:

The other major part of today’s action will significantly reduce average gasoline sulfur levels nationwide. We expect these reductions could begin to phase in as early as 2000, with full compliance for most refiners occurring by 2006. Refiners will generally install advanced refining equipment to remove sulfur during the production of gasoline. Importers of gasoline will be required to import and market only gasoline meeting the sulfur limits. Temporary, less stringent standards will apply to a few small refiners through 2007. In addition, temporary, less stringent standards will apply to a limited geographic area in the western U.S. for the 2004–2006 period.

The issues with Jaguar's Nikasil Cylinder liners began to surface in the US almost as soon as the XK/XKRs began hitting the streets. According to media reports, the affected cars lost compression and ran poorly for a while before not running at all. Jaguar reportedly replaced engines which failed under an extension of the warranty so they recognized the issue. They eliminated the Nikasil cylinder liners. This was not so much a problem in the UK where the engine was developed and tested extensively because the UK had already eliminated sulphur from its fuels.

What is the problem: the sulphur in the fuel combines with moisture produced by combustion to form sulphuric acid which if left alone will dissolve the Nikasil linings. No linings, no compression. According to one article in Popular Mechanics, the problem was more prevalent in cars which did allot of short trips rather than ones taken on longer drives as the engines did not get hot enough during short runs to burn off the condensation.

See also, https://buy.motorious.com/articles/f...jaguar-xk8-xkr

So to circle back to the original question Why Buy a 1997 XK8? Some people rationalize that if the Nikasil cylinders have lasted this long, they are not likely to ever be an issue so forget about it. Others, like myself, say, why worry about whether or not to worry about the health of the Nikasil cylinder linings and buy a later model car without the potential for an expensive failure long out of warranty. Still, the irrational me if faced with a sweet deal on an early XK/XKR would probably opt for the forgetaboutit rationale.

Old 09-02-2021, 08:20 PM
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with Jon89! I love my 98 XK8 but can only do minor repairs and such and when the coolant started leaking in June I had to get it all replaced. it was $1000 in parts, but $1000 in labor, which wasn't complicated but time consuming. 7 hours for the mechanic, prob 10-12 for a lay person, but still worth the savings.

Old 09-03-2021, 07:46 AM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Like Having a Really Gorgeous Trophy Wife.. With Issues

I have a 1997 Xk8 / X100 and can't stop staring at it. It is clearly one of the most beautiful cars ever made.

If you want to smile every time you see your car, look back at it in the parking lot as you walk away from it and love it no matter what chaos it brings into your life, than by all means buy it.

But if you're looking for a dependable daily driver, sadly no. Buy another Miata. You really need to do a lot of your own maintenance and repair and in addition, have a well-recommended independent mechanic who you will quickly know by first name.

You will have to get used to having a code on the dash as you start-up your trophy wife, as well as miscellaneous electrical glitches here and there. One day your CD player won't work, another day your steering wheel pod controls don't respond.

But to the hopelessly in love, it doesn't matter because you are the owner of a Jaguar XK8.

The following users liked this post:
DavidYau (09-03-2021)
Old 09-03-2021, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 166 Posts

I've owned my early '97 convertible for 10 years now. It was at 76K miles when I purchased it and now has 81K miles. I only drive it from spring to winter to avoid the salted roads.
Aside from routine maintenance, I have replaced the thermostat housing with an aluminum unit, ABS module was rebuilt,upper control arm,PS hose, coolant reservoir tank and interior rear view mirror and battery.
I added a voltage reduction kit for the convertible top (has 600 BAR hydraulic hoses from factory), oil drain valve, and a transmission dipstick.
The PO had replaced the timing chain & tensioners.
All in all, it has been a decent car.

Old 09-03-2021, 12:27 PM
Received 204 Likes on 144 Posts

While both the 4.0 and 4.2 are great cars, agree w/ the comments regarding 4.2 being a little more reliable. Also it drives very differently. More "low end grunt" and it's a 6 speed (not 5)

Old 09-07-2021, 12:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

"The early xk's had issues with the cylinder liners which dissolved in modern gasoline. Another reason to pass on pre-2001 cars".

This is serious. Engines with the Nikasil cylinder coatings can lose compression and the engine is toast. I had one, a 1999, it had no power.

Research Nikasil and shame on Jaguar for not replacing the affected engines like BMW did.

Old 09-07-2021, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 857 Posts

Originally Posted by Timinphoenix
"The early xk's had issues with the cylinder liners which dissolved in modern gasoline. Another reason to pass on pre-2001 cars".

This is serious. Engines with the Nikasil cylinder coatings can lose compression and the engine is toast. I had one, a 1999, it had no power.
they don’t. your area had terrible gasoline a long time ago

unless you go to dubai you will never have a problem

JimmyL (01-14-2023)
Old 09-07-2021, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,426 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by Timinphoenix
...and shame on Jaguar for not replacing the affected engines like BMW did.
But Jaguar did.

My car had just had a replacement engine fitted under warranty early 2004 - one of the reasons why I bought it. I took it to the dealership for an oil/filter change after the first 500 miles, and mentioned that there was a light tapping noise from the LH cam area when cold.

Jaguar again replaced the motor under warranty so, here at least, they made a serious effort to put things right on a nearly 6 year old car.

CA Jag (09-07-2021)
Old 01-12-2023, 12:31 PM
Received 204 Likes on 144 Posts

I don't know what prices elsewhere are but 15k doesn't seem like that a great a deal for an 03 w/ 110k. Work is tires (brand?), brakes, belts/hoses, plugs which the seller did. If you were told timing chains and guides were done, then there's something wrong w/ this picture. For comparison, recent dealer sale was 13k for a nice 06 w/ 70k miles and tire/wheel size/style upgrade (Michelin, higher end Jag). Good CarFax and service history.

Old 01-13-2023, 11:05 AM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default XK8 prices

In May of 2021 I paid $12,900 for a 2002 XK8 with 80K on the odometer, which included $1000 for delivery.It had a few issues: needed new tires(I bought Pirelli P-Zero) front shocks, &
a minor oil leak, cruise control was in op & check engine light on, plus traction control also in op. Mostly minor service issues. Overall I am pleased; it starts & runs fine; got 24 mpg last time on 100 mile drive @ 76 mph on Interstate. Did find out not to leave keys in the ignition overnight, as I had to replace battery after a year & a half. It uses regular lead acid battery, with vent hose out the bottom of the trunk(which was not connected when I put in new battery last week: you must ask for the plastic tube insert & the plug for other end when you purchase. Am about to replace rear shocks @ 83000 miles.