Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Out of town awaiting your results!

Gus

Old 05-24-2016, 07:51 PM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus
Top closed and latched position

The rams not lowering the roof with the pump running tells me that the solenoid is not activated or not working to open the roof.

Top Open and latch parked

The pump not running could be the button or the body control or security module not telling the pump what to do.

I would first check the switch to see if it is working properly for the closing command and see if this is an issue. I believe you have two issues but would like to verify the switch first.

Hi Gus, for the top up position and the roof not lowering you initially said the system is confused and may need a reset.

So I tried the reset, but the button doesn't work to raise the roof in the top down position.

So the reset cannot be completed because of that.

The button works fine in both directions in the top up position.

Thank you
Sid

Old 05-24-2016, 08:05 PM

So I was thinking to be able to complete the reset procedure, we must first solve why the button pushed to raise the roof doesn't work when the top is down and latch parked .

BTW don't know if this helps, but when the top is down, and the button is pushed in the direction to raise the top doesn't work, there is functionality to the button when I push the button for the down direction.

Thank you
Sid

Old 05-24-2016, 08:11 PM

So if in the top down and latch parked direction there is functionality to the button when I push the button for the down direction...
wouldn't that indicate that the solenoid is good and that we can eliminate a bad solenoid as a possible cause for the top not lowering when the top is up ?

Old 05-24-2016, 08:15 PM

Edit:
So if in the top down and latch parked position there is functionality to the button when I push the button for the down direction...
wouldn't that indicate that the solenoid is good and that we can eliminate a bad solenoid as a possible cause for the top not lowering when the top is up ?

Old 05-24-2016, 08:25 PM

So if we have evidence that both solenoids are good, that the motor pump is good, and that the button is good, then the question remaining is why doesn't the button work when the top is down with latch parked?

So should the next logical step be to verify if the ram switch is a possible suspect?

Old 05-24-2016, 08:35 PM

EDIT:
So if we have evidence that both solenoids are good, that the motor pump is good, and that the button is good, then the question remaining is why doesn't the button work to raise the top when the top is down with latch parked? So as to complete the reset procedure.

So should the next logical step be to verify if the ram switch is a possible suspect?

Old 05-24-2016, 08:36 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

With the roof closed & latched and windows up.
The quarter windows drop, latch opens but the roof will not open but the pump is running tells me the solenoid for the lift is not activated to allow flow. This could be a problem with the body processor and or security module.

With the roof open, latch parked and the windows down the pump is not running and you swapped the up & down relay tells me the pump is not getting a signal from the body processor and or security module.

Now I say this without knowing the condition of the switches in the header or the rams. If one of them is out of sequence the system will not operate properly along with a blown fuse. You did say you checked the fuses! Using the links below you can test and identify the switches and their status.

Link to wiring diagram http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa...eline99xk8.pdf

Link to the switch status can be found in this TSB http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa...s/501-11AM.pdf

Not knowing the condition of things it could be in the grounding system.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:01 PM

Thanks, I did read that pdf a few times at your website JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource last week, it was very helpful.

Okay, so assuming the header switches are fine, then that would leave the ram switch(es).

At the following link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...esolved-82512/

A few days ago I read a post where you suggested to another member how to test the switch(es), you said...

Originally Posted by Gus
The ram switches are like a ground if you think it is the switch then ground the lead and see what takes place.
So if i wanted to try that suggestion;
Can you please explain where those ram switches are,
how i can get to them,
how to perform that grounding test?

Thank you so much,
Sid

Old 05-24-2016, 09:21 PM

I mean i see the approximate location of the switches in the diagram you provided, the one you made up, but is the switch inside the ram?

Cause when i checked the ram in my car all i saw and felt were what seemed to be flat braided wire(s) with end(s) that screwed on to round threaded fittings at the top of the ram, couldn't quite see the bottom of the ram, and no physical switches seemed to be there.

Thank you
Sid

Old 05-24-2016, 09:24 PM

Does anyone have an actual picture of an actual real life ram and showing the switches etc?

Thank you
Sid

Old 05-24-2016, 09:24 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

The ram switches are located on the top and bottom of the right ram facing forward. The switches are internal to the ram. You can see them from the top of the back seat but hard to reach. If you look at the wiring diagram you can see that they complete a ground.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:45 PM

So if they're internal does that mean that internally they remain intact and that the issue can be resolved by simply cleaning the external contacts?

Thanks

Old 05-24-2016, 10:08 PM

When I look at your self made diagram I see the Hydraulic connections at the ram but i don't see any electrical connections at the ram.

So are the switches just grounded via the rams being bolted to the body of the car?

I don't know you just leave me guessing.

Thank you
Sid

Old 05-25-2016, 08:26 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

One ram has the switches on the right the left ram does not. Ground any one of the leads from the connector.

Old 05-26-2016, 07:37 PM

I took a look at the rams today with the top up and down, and all i can see or feel is the top hydraulic connector, no electric lead / connector.

Any way thanks just the same, you're the only one participating Gus, and no one else gives a hoot.

I'll just try to get help elsewhere which is what everybody here seems to want anyway, trying to get info here is like pulling teeth in circles.

Thanks just the same
Sid

Old 05-26-2016, 08:26 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Sid,

We are trying to help but you need to understand that we are not glued to the computer and obviously not on the same time schedule. Nothing would please me more than to tell you the problem is at x, y or z but it is not that easy. The variables related to the system the switches in the header and rams, the pump solenoids and relays and the body control and security modules all have an important part in the roof operation. Also the dialogue over the internet makes it hard to troubleshoot.

The ram on the right side has two leads to it one on the top and one on the bottom and they must be connected. That lead tells the computer the status of the roof open or closed. The fact that the pump runs opens the latch tells me the pump is working but what it is not doing is switch to the rams to operate them. Now why is that? With the roof open the pump does not turn on that is telling me that the pump is not receiving a command to run the pump. Why? All the signals to open and close come from the security module. When you said you checked the fuses did you just look at them or pull them and check them?

First you need to know if that lead to the ram is connected. Then open the roof and do a hard reset not just R&R the ground lead and hold it for a minute then reattach it and see what takes place. At this time that roof system is totally confused and so am I.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:51 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I would like for you to check a switch that is located at the latch see the attached photo.

Link http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa...tchRepair3.jpg

When looking at the latch closed you should see a silver pad see the photo to the right. I want you to use a pen or pencil and see if it moves freely. If it does not use WD40 to free it up and check it working freely.

The following users liked this post:
Hi-Velo-Sid-E (05-26-2016)
Old 05-26-2016, 08:55 PM

Hi Gus, I tested the fuse and received an audible response from the tester for every fuse.

Like I said, I took a look at the right / passenger side ram today with the top up and down, and all I can see or feel is the top hydraulic connection, no electric lead / connector.

I even grounded that elbow like part of the top of the ram where the hydraulic connects thinking the ground connection effect may travel to wherever the actual lead connects, but still nothing.

I don't know where the connection lead is, I can't see it, feel it, find it.

Thanks