XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

1999 XK8 Failed Cal Smog 2 Readiness Monitors

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 11:01 AM
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Maybe an alignment?

I won't pretend to understand most of what you posted, but my 2001 XK8 would not announce itself ready for smog testing (I'm also in CA), for months, after all fault codes were cleared. Jaguar dealer mechanics also gave me the "drive it more," and one of them even took it home a couple of times. I drove it all over creation and tried to follow the driving cycles, including the difficult to do ones that require slowing down and speeding up to a certain speed. Nothing. I too got to the point where I visited a smog ref, to no avail. Finally, and not for any reason to do with trying to pass smog, I had the car aligned. The code reader announced it was ready, and it passed. Obviously the driving cycle and varying speeds therein have to be communicated to the car's computers through the sensors, and my unscientific guess is that a slight misalignment, not enough to trigger ASC faults, was enough to stop the codes from setting. So, if you haven't had the car aligned during all of your travails, do so, it can never hurt and should be done periodically anyway, and if you have the lifetime alignment deal somewhere, it only costs you a little time. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
mdiamond (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 10:06 PM
Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks, WestCoastCat, The alignment sounds really weird to me, but what do I know? And I may try that, but my real worry right now is I have to figure out is how I can drive around without the gas cap on and get no codes. To me that means that the Evap monitor is not even trying to work.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:58 AM
Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
Default The reason you can't out what non standard PID's mean

This is why you cannot find out what Non Standard PIDs mean from WIKIPEDIA.

Non-standard PIDs[edit]

The majority of all OBD-II PIDs in use are non-standard. For most modern vehicles, there are many more functions supported on the OBD-II interface than are covered by the standard PIDs, and there is relatively minor overlap between vehicle manufacturers for these non-standard PIDs.

There is very limited information available in the public domain for non-standard PIDs. The primary source of information on non-standard PIDs across different manufacturers is maintained by the US-based Equipment and Tool Institute and only available to members. The price of ETI membership for access to scan codes varies based on company size defined by annual sales of automotive tools and equipment in North America:Annual Sales in North AmericaAnnual DuesUnder $10,000,000$5,000$10,000,000 - $50,000,000$7,500Greater than $50,000,000$10,000However, even ETI membership will not provide full documentation for non-standard PIDs. ETI state:[4][5]

Some OEMs refuse to use ETI as a one-stop source of scan tool information. They prefer to do business with each tool company separately. These companies also require that you enter into a contract with them. The charges vary but here is a snapshot as of April 13th, 2015 of the per year charges:GM$50,000Honda$5,000Suzuki$1,000BMW$25,500 plus $2,000 per update. Updates occur annually.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:51 AM
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Not sure if this info is useful:
There are 2 ways of dealing with downstream o2 sensors if there is a cat conv problem:
1.installation of extension adapter
2.installation of capacitor
If 4-wire o2 sensor is bad:
I buy cheapest 4-wire sensor for any car (about $20 new) and then cut off connector and install old connector from failed sensor. I did it probably about 30 times. Only once it didn't work because heater had different resistance and PCM "noticed" it. I found different sensor with resistance much closer to OEM. Couple days ago I got about 10 used sensors from junk yard for my Honda.(both downstream sensors broke). I have to check resistance and do torch test to see if sensors are ok.

Old 09-15-2018, 03:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

Originally Posted by mdiamond

This is why you cannot find out what Non Standard PIDs mean from WIKIPEDIA.

Non-standard PIDs[[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=OBD-II_PIDs&action=edit&section=22]edit]

The majority of all OBD-II PIDs in use are non-standard.
Well that's a daft statement. They meant to say something like:
The majority of all PIDs in use are non-standard.
or
The majority of all PIDs in use are not OBD-II ones.