XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

1999 XK8 lamp control module...

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 08:38 PM
Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

I've got a 2003 XKR, as has a friend. He's a got a problem where he's getting a message re failed read lights, though they're all working well.

He's been advised to purchase a new SLCM, but I'm going to take a look at it before he takes that step. Looking at this thread, it looked as if the LCM would be the problem, but looking at the JTIS for 2003, I can't see a LCM on the diagrams for rear lighting. Is there one? It looks as if all the lighting circuits go into the SLCM directly.

Thanks in advance

PS And if there's not an LCM, what's the black box fitted in the rear of the trunk mounted fuse box that has two connectors? Unfortunately it has no labels visible, as it's covered in sticky backed foam

Old 10-09-2013, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Originally Posted by thefixer
I've got a 2003 XKR, as has a friend. He's a got a problem where he's getting a message re failed read lights, though they're all working well.

He's been advised to purchase a new SLCM, but I'm going to take a look at it before he takes that step. Looking at this thread, it looked as if the LCM would be the problem, but looking at the JTIS for 2003, I can't see a LCM on the diagrams for rear lighting. Is there one? It looks as if all the lighting circuits go into the SLCM directly.

Thanks in advance

PS And if there's not an LCM, what's the black box fitted in the rear of the trunk mounted fuse box that has two connectors? Unfortunately it has no labels visible, as it's covered in sticky backed foam
Later models have integrated the LCM into the security module.

Check that all the bulbs are the correct types as specified in the owners manual. The wrong wattage can trigger a bulb fault.

If they are all OK, then clean the contacts on the bulbs and tail light connector with commercial contact cleaner.. Also inspect the tail light connectors, especially the black (ground wire) pin. If there is any sign of wear, burning or melting on this contact, ground the taillight direct to the chassis.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:56 PM
Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Later models have integrated the LCM into the security module.

Check that all the bulbs are the correct types as specified in the owners manual. The wrong wattage can trigger a bulb fault.

If they are all OK, then clean the contacts on the bulbs and tail light connector with commercial contact cleaner.. Also inspect the tail light connectors, especially the black (ground wire) pin. If there is any sign of wear, burning or melting on this contact, ground the taillight direct to the chassis.
Thanks. I'll be sure to check out all the bulbs, and the GNDs.

I'm assuming that swapping the SLCM's between our cars wouldn't that easy (as they're somehow key'd to the remotes?). Having two near identical cars I was considering doing some parts swapping to get to the root of this.

-Steve