XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 xk8 stuck in valet mode! please help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 08:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 xk8 stuck in valet mode! please help!

hey. first post for me!
i have a 1999 xk8 4.0 coupe
it been sat up for 2 years and the battery is completely dead.
i have no clue about jaguars as i've never even sat in one let alone owned one before this (i've just purchased the vehicle) but i am quite mechanically minded.

so here's the situation
the jag is stuck in valet mode. the glovebox is unlocked? the boot is locked.
performance is unrestricted untill the car warms up. then goes into limp mode (it also has a missfire. aparantly a coilpack not working.)

the boot is locked (containing the battery)
i connected a booster pack to the fuseboard which alloud me to start the car. (i have 2 fobs and 2 black keys. no valet key) tried locking and unlocking the door with power connected and tried both black keys in the boot lock.
the keys go in the full way and turn 90 degrees and it makes a clicking sound but even pulling hard on the boot doesnt open it.
still nothing!!
i tried the fobs and the boot release button on the dash... nothing
the boot release button just flashes up VALET MODE on the dash when pressed.

so... we "stretch armstrong'ed" some jump leads onto the battery terminals connected to another battery through the parcel shelf hole... still nothing!!

how do i get in this boot to change the battery??...
unless i can do this i'm going to have to buy a second hand boot and put a disk cutter through mine (i don't perticularly want to have to do this)

is there a feed to the electonic lock in the back of the boot release button that i can splice?

there is 2 sets of wires hanging down from below the 3rd brakelight with two male 2 pin plugs on the end of them (visable through the parcel shelf hole) what are these suppost to be connected to?

another thing we tried was to manually move the boot lock but seeing as its about 2 foot away from full arms length (through the parcel shelf hole) and is hidden by the boot floor (the boot floor is ontop of the battery cover!!!!) we can't reach far enough to get it!

i have been told that if i can fit a fully charged battery. i should be able to turn valet mode off by using the black key?
and then open the boot with the button on the dash?
and then reprogram the keyfobs?
and then fit a fully charged battery?!?
surely jaguar made a mistake in that order?!?!

i am really stuck for ideas and very frustrated as you would imagine!

please help!

Mark Gladwin.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts

If you look below the right tail light you'll see an XK8 emblem. There's a little hole in the emblem where you can insert your key. Turn the key and the trunk will open.

Here's a picture. Yours may be a little different. I think they changed the design at some point:

Last edited by Reverend Sam; 06-26-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts

Oh... I just re-read your post. Maybe you already tried the lock. Sorry.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:29 AM

yep, tried that... with the power connected to the fuseboard and the battery terminals... aparantly the lock is electric?
it doesnt seem to be seized either?

Old 06-26-2010, 10:49 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Read this https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...t=34601&page=2 and see if it will work on a xk, I know it will work on an xj. Please let us know!

Old 06-26-2010, 10:53 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

I think there are terminals (or equivalent) under the bonnet (main fuse area maybe) that will let you jump it there. Much better than going thru the parcel shelf.

Did a search for you, here's a link.

How are you turning off Valet Mode?

Manual says only using the black key in the boot lock, while the alarm is deactivated will oprn the boot, and undo the Valet mode.

Try this too...Link, last 2 posts If no hole, go here.

Last edited by H20boy; 06-26-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:13 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Gus
Read this https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...t=34601&page=2 and see if it will work on a xk, I know it will work on an xj. Please let us know!
under the hood power access http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepairTrunkPowerAccess.htm

Old 06-26-2010, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Also check your Valet switch. They are notorious for sticking, especially in the older models. I had to replace mine.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:45 AM

the way possible on the xj is not the same as the xk8.
the boot lock is in the body of the car and not the boot itself
so there is no lock mechanism in the boot to attack.

im trying to turn off valet mode by any means possible... i have tried locking and unlocking everything on the car. boot and drivers door.

both key fobs with the vehicle do not work!
the battery in the vehicle is completely dead
even with the vehicle running none of these methods suggested work.

where does the wiring loom from the boot release motor come into the cab of the vehicle and what voltage is a xk8 boot lock? i think the only way is to splice the wiring and add the correct voltage... or...

does anyone have a lock pin for the boot of an xk8?
i think my only option is to beat a couple of wedges under the boot and cut the lock with a disk cutter then manually activate the lock to turn off valet mode with a new battery on the vehicle...

the boot lock barrel seems to be fine... i don't think thats the issue... i think the boot release mechanism itself is faulty as it should open on the key... and i've connected power to every point possible and it still won't open

i even free'd up the valet button as it seems the clips on the side of it squash the casing and grip the button... but still nothing!!!

please help me before i do something drastic!

Old 06-29-2010, 10:06 AM
Veteran member

I'd seriously admit defeat and drive it to the dealer for a day's visit. I'm sure they've dealt with on occasion and can do it for you..the $$ spent will be worth your sanity.

Do not chop up your car....

Old 06-29-2010, 10:41 AM
Default 99 xk8 expert help needed!!!

situation is...
my battery is completely flat.
my valet mode is stuck on.
i believe the boot lock mechanism is broken.

i NEED to open the boot to replace the completely flat battery, to get valet mode off.

i've tried every key and button.
with the vehicle running, power connected to the fuseboard and battery terminals themselves.

pictures of boot locks, mechanisms, wiring looms and catches would be a massive help!

i'm not taking the car to jaguar to fix this issue. i'd rather cut it open and repair the damage.

but obviously i don't want to damage my new jag!

please help!!!

Old 06-29-2010, 11:08 AM
Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

On the rear of the car next to the X in the XK8 badge you will see a hole for the key to manually open it. If that doesn't work there may be a hole covered with tape behind the license plate to access the mechanism. However, if you've had the car running then it sounds like it may be another problem, maybe a stuck valet switch?

Old 06-29-2010, 11:17 AM

i've tried the key in the lock (turns 90 degrees and makes a satisfying click noise but doesnt open)

the valet switch is free.

i also (this may help alot)
have two sets of two wires hanging down from the 3rd brakelight (inside the boot) with two male 2 pin plugs on them!
i spotted these through the parcel shelf hole (by the fuel pump)

what do these wires do?!?! and where are they suppost to be connected? i have a feeling they lead to my faulty boot lock mechanism!!

where do i reconnect them? (bearing in mind i only have access from the parcel shelf hole!)
i hope this works!

Old 06-29-2010, 11:51 AM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Have you tried pressing down on the boot lid while turning the key.
Does the 99 XK8 have the emergency release in the trunk, yellow pull located in right corner.
Good luck.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:59 AM

yep. i had a mate move the boot while i tried it all just incase it was catching... we even went as far as trying to pull the boot open... the lock mechanism is stronger than you'd imagine!!

where exactly is this yellow handle? i've not seen anything like that. is it in the boot? pictures please!!

Old 06-29-2010, 01:53 PM
Veteran member

mgnf, no need to create another thread with the same content...merged that one with your original.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:32 PM

mgnf I know it sounds silly but when you put the key into the XK8 badge on the right side of the boot,which way are you turning the key?because My XK you turn the key to the clockwise,yet funny enough on my in laws Xk you turn it Anti clockwise,very strange I know.but worth a try the opposite way.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 323 Posts

A Battery Charger can be connected in the Engine Compartment as shown here. Warning! Do NOT attempt to connect Jumper Leads here to start the engine!

Old 07-01-2010, 09:48 AM

ok people are not understanding me correctly...

i know how to start the vehicle by the two terminals under the bonnet.
i know how to start the vehicle by the two terminals in the boot.
i've tried turning my key in the lock every way possible and with as much force as my arms will give out.

its not seized. the key works fine in the lock but will not open the boot

i believe the lock mechanism is broken where the latch is (where the boot and the body meet)

there are two sets of two wires hanging down from what would be the 3rd brake light. are these the boot release mechanism? if so. where do they plug in?

Old 07-01-2010, 10:16 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

I am not sure but what I found leads me to believe that the key operation of the trunk lock is mechanical, see the attached diagram. #4 is the trunk lock barrel and the #5 cable goes from it to the #1 trunk latch. I would attempt to press down on the trunk as you are turning the key and see if that works. I am not with my car to open and see if that is the case.

I hope this helps!

Attached Thumbnails 1999 xk8 stuck in valet mode! please help!-trunklatch.jpg  

Last edited by H20boy; 07-01-2010 at 11:56 AM.

Quick Reply: 1999 xk8 stuck in valet mode! please help!