XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

1999 XKR Restricted Performance Indicator

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2021, 07:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 XKR Restricted Performance Indicator

Hi All
After 10-15 minutes of normal driving - or less if the engine is placed under a sudden load (accelerating up a hill, for example) - the RP light comes on. No discernible change in performance and no error codes. The RP light will stay on for as long as the car is running. Once stopped and restarted, the RP light stays off and the same routine starts again.
My Jag shop has tried to troubleshoot for hours without success.
Even though I know (?) that this is something I can probably ignore and put down to a glitch somewhere, I still jump a little when it happens. "Cause of Death - coronary arrest due to RP indicator light" is not my idea of a peaceful exit from this life!
Anyone have any suggestions as to what might be causing this and, therefore, what to try in order to eliminate it?
Thanks in advance.

Old 05-30-2021, 08:01 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,216 Likes on 1,703 Posts

Read the OBDII codes and with that get the fuel trims and post the results.

Gus
JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

The following 2 users liked this post by Gus:
CA Jag (05-31-2021), srpope80 (05-30-2021)
Old 05-30-2021, 08:07 AM
Received 115 Likes on 58 Posts

When is the last time the MAF Sensor was cleaned and the fuel filter replaced? It's super cheap and easy to do, and II was an owner that never really did it until mine, My Uncle's car, etc., started having issues.

My Craigslist cat was throwing Restricted Performance and one other error (can't remember) and the filter was so plugged I could barely blow through it when removed.

The MAF was also super dirty and causing half the problem. Gus has a great writeup on cleaning and the what the readings mean if you have a scan tool. Not sure if they are different from the XKR; need to check in my garage.

DO NOT USE ANYTHING BUT MAF SPECIFIC Cleaner, the CRC stuff Gus mentioned worked great for me.

MAF Cleaning
MAF Readings XK8

Old 05-31-2021, 01:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by srpope80
When is the last time the MAF Sensor was cleaned and the fuel filter replaced? It's super cheap and easy to do, and II was an owner that never really did it until mine, My Uncle's car, etc., started having issues.

My Craigslist cat was throwing Restricted Performance and one other error (can't remember) and the filter was so plugged I could barely blow through it when removed.

The MAF was also super dirty and causing half the problem. Gus has a great writeup on cleaning and the what the readings mean if you have a scan tool. Not sure if they are different from the XKR; need to check in my garage.

DO NOT USE ANYTHING BUT MAF SPECIFIC Cleaner, the CRC stuff Gus mentioned worked great for me.

MAF Cleaning
MAF Readings XK8
Many thanks - will do this and see if it helps.

Old 06-03-2021, 09:17 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I was also getting the restricted performance
mode when going up a steep hill and placing a load
on the engine. It turned out that the supercharger electric water pump was not running and the supercharger coolant was overheating.

The following users liked this post:
srpope80 (06-03-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 10:17 AM
Received 115 Likes on 58 Posts

@mvsbraga Did that throw a specific code or just restricted performance.

Did you have to replace the pump? Would love to hear more.

Old 06-03-2021, 04:55 PM

The supercharger cooling system and the engine cooling system do not help each other. So in the front of the right side of the engine is the electric water pump. Not very big. Mine was not running. Fuse was blown. Put in a new fuse and immediately blew again. The circuit was good, but the electric water pump was not.
This electric water pump always runs when the ignition is on. So if you just turn on the ignition and
listen under the hood you will hear it. So it lives a hard life. Cost of electric water pump alone is around $450 from the dealer.

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (06-03-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 12:49 AM
Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

I had this problem last year, all I had to do was clean the throttle body out a little and it was fixed.

Old 06-04-2021, 09:35 AM
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mvsbraga
The supercharger cooling system and the engine cooling system do not help each other. So in the front of the right side of the engine is the electric water pump. Not very big. Mine was not running. Fuse was blown. Put in a new fuse and immediately blew again. The circuit was good, but the electric water pump was not.
This electric water pump always runs when the ignition is on. So if you just turn on the ignition and
listen under the hood you will hear it. So it lives a hard life. Cost of electric water pump alone is around $450 from the dealer.
omgosh....please, someone, tell me there is MUCH cheaper alternative...?..

max

Old 06-04-2021, 10:01 AM

The $450 did not include labor. I had my mechanic replace it. You can most likely purchase for half the cost at other Jaguar parts websites.

Old 04-27-2023, 05:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi have you checked the water thermostat ??
mine was 'broken' flushed out the whole water system (as far as possible) replaced the stat and bingo bango result !!
i've only been out tonight approx 80miles ( 1'st run ) BUT the temp gauge is reading in the centre , which it never has in the previous 10 year's ( thought this was ok as i didn't have any problem's until i went away last wk end (about 400 ml's )
then i got Reduced Performance msg , not all the time came & went with infuriating regularity !
got the engine read at my mates garage.
lo & behold water temp !
hope this help's
Cheer's now
Andy
1ce more happy owner 1999 XKR !!!