XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

2000 XK8 automatic tilt problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 08:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2000 XK8 automatic tilt problem

Maybe someone can help me figure out what's wrong here. The tilt mechanism works but it's not smooth anymore. I have to keep tapping on the switch to get it into position. Don't know if it's the motor. Any thoughts?

Old 08-03-2011, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

There is a fix but it's not posted in the sticky thread and I'm having a hard time finding it. Maybe someone else can link you.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,112 Likes on 933 Posts

The major historical issue is with the potentiometer that registers the position of the steering column. Some have cleaned with Radio Shack spray contact cleaner. I set my seat memory buttons at each side of the 'sticky' place and exercised the operation about 50 times. That seemed to clean the dead spot enough for reliable function, at least for now.

The dealer would replace the motor and potentiometer which is not too difficult to get to . . . unlike the 'reach' motor and pot.

The following users liked this post:
AntXJ (11-07-2011)
Old 08-20-2011, 03:00 PM

Thanks, sprayed some contact cleaner and worked in a bunch of times and it works smoothly now.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:42 PM
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by AntXJ
Thanks, sprayed some contact cleaner and worked in a bunch of times and it works smoothly now.
Any chance of a detailed description of what you did so I can try it?

I "solved" the problem last week by turning the knob on the left side of the steering column to "off". I don't need the steering wheel to move to get enough room to get in/out of the car. The herky jerky action of this feature is not worth the trip.

Jack

The following users liked this post:
AntXJ (11-07-2011)
Old 08-22-2011, 10:24 PM

Just remove the 2 screws that secure the facade under the steering wheel. Before removing pull off the tilt knob on the column. Once removed you have to gently remove the tilt switch. One multi pin connector. It took some effort to get this off but it will come off. Clean the switch with contact cleaner. Also find the potentiometer lightly apply contact cleaner to it as well. Re-attach multi pin and return everything to normal. You have to work the mechanism many times before it will work as intended. Maybe 50 to 100 repetitions. Good Luck!

Old 08-22-2011, 11:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Here's the thread with the alternate method to fix:

Apparently there is spring washer that is too tight by design:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...68/#post342851

Originally Posted by Mish_Mish
Ok, here it comes!

What causes this issue is Bosch part, believe it or not.
Motor that controls the up and down is mounted right under the steering column (see picture), on one end it has little drive shaft, on the other it has potentiometer assembly. This assembly is very hard to spin and this is due to one very agressive spring washer. What happens is, when you try to adjust the column, motor jerks for a split second and then, due to excessive load, relay powers it down. Helping steering wheel up, or down does not help either, because it is driven through a worm gear... anyways, long story short:
1. Take off kick panel above the pedals, it is 2 8mm bolts, maybe 10 mm.
2. Take off motor-reducer aseembly, below the steering wheel. It is bolted on two allen style bolts, I think they are 5mm.
Please note that there is a shim, under motor assembly, for what reason I do not know, I did not re-install mine, because bolts are rather short, so I decided to give them couple more threads deep.
3. Unplug electric connector, it come out easy.
4. Slide off an open potentiometer assembly hosing, it has one screw and 2 little tabs to pull. It is Bosch made, so plastic is very strong, nothing breaks.
5. flatten the darn spring washer, or remove it of you like, I flattened mine with my fingers. You will see how much easier it will spin, after you put it together. Do not forget to add more lubrication, if you must.
6. Re-assemble motor assembly.
7. Bring the steering column up, or down manually, by spinning little drive shaft by hand. Now, connect electric cable to motor assembly, check if it works and then run it up, or down (with column adjustment knob), depending which way you moved the column earlier.
8. Slide motor end of the drive shaft into the column end.
9. Reinstall motor back in place, with, or without shim.

The end!

The following 2 users liked this post by xenophobe:
AntXJ (11-07-2011), GooseTx (09-10-2019)