XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

2000 XK8 Coupe: Driver window goes down half inch when I open the door?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 08:50 PM
Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
Default 2000 XK8 Coupe: Driver window goes down half inch when I open the door?

I have a 2000 XK8 coupe. It looks like the glass in the driver's door was broken and replaced at some point. Whoever replaced it, didn't do it right. As the window goes up it gets stuck. if I I help it by pulling it manually I can roll it all the way up and past what should be the topmost position. I can make the glass stick out further than it should.

The bizarre behavior I am seeing:

Every time I pull the driver's door handle, either from the outside or from the inside, the driver's window rolls down approximately quarter to half an inch. I would really appreciate educated guesses as to why it would happen. I am not too familiar with the XK8 electrical system yet, so I am at a loss. Other than shorted or incorrectly connected wires and/or malfunctioning control module, I don't have a rational explanation for this behavior.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by juha_teuvonnen
I have a 2000 XK8 coupe. It looks like the glass in the driver's door was broken and replaced at some point. Whoever replaced it, didn't do it right. As the window goes up it gets stuck. if I I help it by pulling it manually I can roll it all the way up and past what should be the topmost position. I can make the glass stick out further than it should.

The bizarre behavior I am seeing:

Every time I pull the driver's door handle, either from the outside or from the inside, the driver's window rolls down approximately quarter to half an inch. I would really appreciate educated guesses as to why it would happen. I am not too familiar with the XK8 electrical system yet, so I am at a loss. Other than shorted or incorrectly connected wires and/or malfunctioning control module, I don't have a rational explanation for this behavior.
That sounds like the behavior for the convertible. You could try resetting the window position. Press and hold the window down button until the window goes down, and keep holding until you hear a click. Then hold it up until the window goes up all the way, and keep holding until it clicks again.

I'm not sure if it will help but its quick and easy to try.

The following users liked this post:
thisismichaelh (10-16-2023)
Old 07-07-2018, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,115 Posts

2 or 3 issues here:

1) setting stops (travel) for front windows. One must reset the boundaries each time battery connection is interrupted. Roof closed. Sit in driver seat, start car. Push both up buttons allow windows 2 go up all the way. Hold button depressed a few seconds until you hear thermal interruptor click . It resets automatically.

now press down. Hold until click. I do this twice.

2) battery: this is a super common indication of low charge on battery. Hook up charger. Tomorrow go to store have battery checked for free.

3) window alignment needs tweaking. Not too hard, though the door card has to come off.

NEVER EVER use the window motor to get past the jam. I once did = spent the next hour cleaning up a shattered window!

we have posts with clear adjustment procedure. If you need help finding them just ask.

there are 3 window adjustments for you to attend to.

1Vertical movements plumb? A cocked window will jam. There is a nut that holds the rear of the widow regulators track in place. It may be lose.

2 space between glass and rear quarter window's vertical rubber edge. Hint use a pie e of plain old loose leaf paper. Place up against passenger window rear edge . Close door on it capture between queer window rubber and front window glass. Properly adjusted, you can pull it out with a bit of pressure.

3) angle of window from bottom to top. Too much angle and bottom few inches have a gap with rear quarter window (adjusted by moving the bottom of rear vertical window channel in towards passenger seat, or out)

taking the door panel off is way easier than it looks. Ask for instructions if you like.

John

The following 2 users liked this post by Johnken:
juha_teuvonnen (07-17-2018), thisismichaelh (10-16-2023)
Old 07-08-2018, 04:09 PM
Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Just for the record, the windows on the coupe work the same way. I regularly have to reset the passenger side window on my '98 coupe.

The following 4 users liked this post by brobin:
Johnken (07-09-2018), juha_teuvonnen (07-17-2018), thisismichaelh (10-16-2023), Timeisrelative (09-04-2023)
Old 07-08-2018, 10:07 PM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm sorry to sound condescending...but does anyone read their owners manual these days? Normal behavior, and normal reset methodology.

Old 07-08-2018, 11:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,181 Likes on 760 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnham
I'm sorry to sound condescending...but does anyone read their owners manual these days? Normal behavior, and normal reset methodology.
+1 on that thought.
While I will freely admit to reading manuals only after something goes wrong, in the case of these cars I think it should be mandatory for new owners to read the owners handbook from cover to cover before being set loose in one.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:59 AM
GGG
Received 16,870 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnham
I'm sorry to sound condescending...but does anyone read their owners manual these days? .....
NO - the broken glove compartment lock issue usually prevents that.

Graham

The following 4 users liked this post by GGG:
blindside (07-17-2018), DavidYau (12-18-2019), Johnken (07-17-2018), sklimii (07-17-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 06:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,409 Likes on 2,878 Posts

Some folks purchase their cars long after the owners manual has disappeared from the glove box due to a thoughtless previous owner. The good news is that if they eventually find their way here, they will likely be directed to the proper online version of their owners manual....

The following 2 users liked this post by Jon89:
JayJagJay (12-19-2019), Scottsgreenjag (07-21-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 12:10 PM

I got my car without manual. At 17 years of age, a missing owner's manual is the least of my worries I would like to thank everybody who responded and provided useful info. I really appreciate your help. If somebody could post the link to the window glass adjustment procedure thread I would really appreciate it. Mine sticks 2/3 of the way up and needs help to keep moving. I will need to get inside and see what's up with that. I am guessing something loose and alignment off.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,452 Likes on 780 Posts

I got my car without manual. At 17 years of age, a missing owner's manual is the least of my worries I would like to thank everybody who responded and provided useful info. I really appreciate your help. If somebody could post the link to the window glass adjustment procedure thread I would really appreciate it. Mine sticks 2/3 of the way up and needs help to keep moving. I will need to get inside and see what's up with that. I am guessing something loose and alignment off.

You mean it slows down at 2/3s of the way up? Or do you mean it stops at about ½ inch below with the door open, but not when closed? If it's the latter question, then that's normal. If it's the former question where it slows down, I think that means you may have to apply grease to the regulator to ease the load on the motor. It could be a dying battery, a worn window regulator, or a dying power window motor.

These cars have a much more obvious and super handy way of letting you know you need a new battery. It goes like this: if you open the door and the window drops down, and as soon as you close it, it doesn't go back up, then that means the battery is on its the way out. The other thing is that the dash lights up like a Christmas tree with many random faults. If neither of those is happening, you can rule out the battery.

Last edited by giandanielxk8; 07-17-2018 at 01:10 PM.
juha_teuvonnen (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts

If somebody could post the link to the window glass adjustment procedure thread I would really appreciate it. Mine sticks 2/3 of the way up and needs help to keep moving. I will need to get inside and see what's up with that. I am guessing something loose and alignment off.
Links for front windows:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...26/#post207913
Link for rear window (second file in list): https://www.mediafire.com/?eiqqf6heu5zz3#8hu2csfo9uxr9

juha_teuvonnen (07-18-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8
You mean it slows down at 2/3s of the way up? Or do you mean it stops at about ½ inch below with the door open, but not when closed? If it's the latter question, then that's normal. If it's the former question where it slows down, I think that means you may have to apply grease to the regulator to ease the load on the motor. It could be a dying battery, a worn window regulator, or a dying power window motor.

These cars have a much more obvious and super handy way of letting you know you need a new battery. It goes like this: if you open the door and the window drops down, and as soon as you close it, it doesn't go back up, then that means the battery is on its the way out. The other thing is that the dash lights up like a Christmas tree with many random faults. If neither of those is happening, you can rule out the battery.
With the window rolled all the way down, I press the switch to roll it up. The window goes up about 2/3 of the way and gets stuck. It does not move any further. It gets misaligned, the back side of the window seems to be going up but the front side of the window fails to keep up and gets stuck. I grab the front part of the window and pull it upwards by hand, straightening the window. Then I press the button again and it goes up half an inch to an inch until it gets stuck again. I repeat the "grab the front of the window and pull it upwards" trick once or twice before I can pull the window all the way up.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,452 Likes on 780 Posts

That sounds like more than needing window adjustment. Pull the door card and check for anything that could be obstructing the window guides.

juha_teuvonnen (07-18-2018)
Old 12-18-2019, 08:05 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

John,

Just saw your window suggestions. Just moved the XKR out of the garage and tried to put driver's side window up. It stuck about 3/4 way. I put down again and kept working it finally went up. Any thoughts on why and what I can do to remedy this?

Alan

Old 12-18-2019, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member

Ok, Alan glad you asked. Stuck = warning flags. I had it happen once to passenger window. In a genius moment I decided to power through it.

Window got cockeyed a bit, so I hit down, then up, up, POW - I watched the window disintegrate before my eyes (another one to add to the joh ken don't do this list :-).

Turns out that an adjustment bolt, under the door card towards the rear can come loose (while not a repetitive issue for any 1 car, ithappens often enough) . This bolt holds the rear of the channel that runs front to back the window regulator mechanism. When it loosens it allows the rear of that channel to move up (upper rear corner of window move up and forward) or down (same corner moves down and back) as it pivots on a fixed point in the front.

So, first question: did the window go a bit cockeyed as it jammed? Cant recall? Carefully lower window with door open a few inches. Grab the rear vertical side, can it move up and down as I described?

If yes, indicates the loose bolt. That's ok Alan really not a big deal.

If no, we may need more info:
window closed, you outside. Look at where front and rear windows meet. is the gap parallel top to bottom? (Alignment issue)

I'm going to stop here for feedback. If you need to adjust the window you will be taking the door card (inside covering) off. Way harder in your mind before you do it. 20minutes 1st time, 5 or less after that mate.

Let us know.
John

Last edited by Johnken; 12-18-2019 at 10:18 AM.
volkris (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 11:02 AM

John,

Thanks for the reply! I compared passenger side (which works fine) with driver's side. I grabbed both at the back and both seem to have the same "play" which really isn't more than 1/4". Driver's side just gets slow 2/3 way up and stops. If I back it down a bit and then up again it seems to power through the problem. There may be an adjustment issue because the drivers side quarter window does not meet up with the driver's window. A gap of about 1/2 " exists, I will look at this further when it gets a bit warmer!

Alan

Old 12-18-2019, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

Alan, could not tell if you want to shut this topic down for a few months.

If not:

1) do you know about window memory? Probably do, just checking. If not, this is peculiar to these cars and determines the upper limit of window raised. If exceeded, and window closed with door open, window will not drop enough to clear rubber seal at top while closing, could force window to gap (pushes outwards) and harm rubber seal. Don't leave this one til spring.

2) the gap: does the vertical line of the rear of the front window converge or separate from the vertical line of the rear windows edge?

Is there space between the mating surfaces of front and rear windows?

Like you said, you may want to pause this til spring. No problem.

John

Old 12-18-2019, 11:57 AM

John,
I do not know about window memory. The gap between the rear window and driver's window seems to increase the last inch from being flush to a gap of about 3/8" when fully closed. I know from the manual that the windows are supposed to open a bit when the door handle is operated and then close when door is closed. Passenger side works perfectly. Driver's side a bit tentative. sometimes yes and then it doesn't. I appreciate your thoughts even though I may not get to actually work on this until warmer weather.

Alan

Old 12-18-2019, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member

Ok Alan, happy to help.

First the gap. Assuming you mean #2 when discussing the gap vertical outside edges of window separate bottom to top. Then the bolt I mentioned needs tightening and adjustment. It can wait, figure a 40 minute job your 1st time. Just don't push the window raise too hard.

Different topic, window memory. Each time the battery is disconnected you will lose the window memory. Memory = how high to raise window either when you hold close button, or when door closes, or when window is raised before convertible top is closed (car will raise and seal front windows once top is secured).

How to set this? Battery connected, roof up, doors closed. Turn on ignition. Press and hold front windows up buttons. Allow window to raise until top stops it - keep holding button down. In a second or three you will hear a click as the window thermal circuit breaker trips. Now repeat for window down. I've seen instructions todo this twice.

Now every time you open the door, the window will drop a few millimeters to clear the rubber seal. Close the door, window raises to predetermined position.

BEWARE: when battery charge gets low, car tends to lose this memory. You may have this now from one of your descriptions. We use this symptom as a heads up to top off the charge when needed.

BTW: I've never seen an answer about what the rear window does not need this memory.

Re battery: no your radio does not lose presets when disconnected.

John