XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

2000 XK8 front stru overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 278 Likes on 171 Posts
Smile 2000 XK8 front stru overhaul

I thought you might like to hear about the overhaul of my front struts. Right after I bought the car I had it on a lift and noticed it had deteration of the lower bushing in both front struts. There was evidence of oil that seemed to be the cause. Where it came from I have no idea. Everything else was dry. At that time the car had about 42K miles. And driving it there was a klunking in that area that I really didn't like. I toyed with the idea of just replacing the bushings in place. But the darn bushings cost more than the shock with the bushing installed. So I bought new shocks. Checked around as to where I could do the work as this wasn't something I really wanted to do. Time went by and klunking got worse and a friend said "We can do it". Parts got ordered and forum got read. Everyone said if you replace the shocks got to replace the mounts also. Looked at mounts and they looked like they might be starting to deterate. New shockmounts ordered. Everyone said got to replace rubber boots also. Boots got ordered. Car by this time had 52K miles. This wasn't something I was looking forward to doing. Rented spring compressor from parts store. Took my friend and I two evenings to do the job. Other things going on. Also following Rev Sam video. Left strut wasn't bad getting out. But the right one was a reall b...h. I must have taken me an hour to get the upper A frame bolt out. And after I got it out I found out why. One of the trapped washers was a press fit on the bold. somebody got wrong parts initially. Rev Sam also had trouble with the right side and I bet for the same reason.

Now on with the spring compressor. Luckly my friend had an air wrench or we never would have made it. You must have one to operate the spring compressor and two people are a must. Assembly was straight forward and remounting on the car was OK.

The car rides much better with out the klunking and I am done with that job. I now have done this job twice. My first time and my last time.

When I got the struts out I noticed that the mounts were still in really good shape and could have stayed with the old ones. And the rubber boots that everyone said I just had to replace were OK as well. But now I have new shocks, mounts and boots with a good upper seal plug.

The following pictures show new and old parts. Enjoy.

Attached Thumbnails 2000 XK8 front stru overhaul-new-old-upper-shock-mount.jpg   2000 XK8 front stru overhaul-new-old-mount-thickness-comparision.jpg   2000 XK8 front stru overhaul-old-strut-ready-overhaul.jpg   2000 XK8 front stru overhaul-strut-ready-install.jpg  

Last edited by EZDriver; 05-30-2014 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Good deal, glad it worked out. I up for this plus new ball joints as soon as the parts arrive, like you not looking forward to it but I'll be please that I am doing it myself and happy with the out come.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 690 Likes on 560 Posts

I just finished this job myself. Did the coils as well, so all is brand new.

I highly recommend taking the new pieces (and the old assemblies if you are reusing any parts like the coil springs) to a machine shop or mechanic with a press. Compressing those springs for disassembly and reassembly is not only a PITA, it is dangerous.

Cost me $60 to have a shop take apart the old units and put together the new ones. My job was simple removal and replacement of the strut assembly.

Full disclosure: I learned this lesson only after 3 frustrating hours fighting the springs with the tool rental and giving up when one spring slipped during reassembly and it nearly getting away from me.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:25 PM
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I agree with Jag 4 its not worth getting hurt to save a few bucks. A good spring compressor is a must.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

So I just posted a new thread for a spring compressor recommendation. I see several different finger types, what's best.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 278 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Jandreu
So I just posted a new thread for a spring compressor recommendation. I see several different finger types, what's best.
The one I cot from O'Reilys auto parts had fingers that enclosed a little more than half the diameter with pins that locked the finger in place. But I woundn't do it again for any amount of money. No thanks. No way.

The following users liked this post:
Jag#4 (05-31-2014)