XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

2000 XKR how to increase horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by XKRdad
I'm just curious to know how Avos likes it with his setup.. I also understand that he doesn't run it in the SC.
I run it pressure less, so no chances of having catastrophic hose bursts/failures (most hoses are still original). Its non-toxic at least much less toxic as the oem coolant, which when I worked on my car always got in contact with somehow. But the main reason was to get some extra protection for the extreme power levels I am going for.

Bottom line after ˝ year (12k miles) is that I really like it. In case you’re bored and have some time, here is a thread where I have posted more info, where I will update my experiences further:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...oolant-123703/

Old 07-01-2015, 10:50 PM
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by aode06
Your car will overheat and blow hoses if your cooling fans to your engine's radiator are not working.

So how do think your blower feels without having any fans on its radiator(inter cooler) at all ???

On my XKR both the engine and the intercooler use the same radiator/heat exchanger. It is a common unit so it has a fan on it.

I also don't see how a lower thermostat will lower the intake charge temp. Logically it will result in more coolant flow from the engine, higher radiator temps and therefore higher intercooler temps (since the intercooler doesn't go through a thermostat).

Old 07-01-2015, 11:20 PM
Received 681 Likes on 490 Posts
Default Huh?

Unless you modified your car you have a second radiator sitting in front of the primary for your supercharger. The two systems are connected so you can use one expansion tank but you typically fill the SC system from the top of the heat exchangers. You can isolate the systems but then you have to add a second expansion tank. I've pulled my SC radiator off and replaced it with a ChillerKiller. (I tried a large SC radiator first but it did zip) and I'm running a Ford Performance intercooler pump but I'm told I really need to isolate, split the heat exchangers, and run a second pump if I want the ChillerKiller to drop all the way down to ambient on the outlet side of the heat exchangers. Currently the water temp going in is holding at around 75 degrees constant but I push 100 on the outlet which holds unless it gets really hot then I'm up to 110 to 120. So on a cold day I'm typically 30 degrees over ambient and on a hot day 10 to 20 because the differential is higher. I'm also using waterless coolant throughout trading off the high heat exchange for the SC circuit for no corrosion but if I get around to separating the systems I may go back to water/antifreeze for the SC and see what happens. (there is little fluid movement between the two systems when the car is running but if I want to change coolants like Avos recommends I'll need to split them).

Old 07-04-2015, 03:09 PM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Interesting thread. Does anyone have experience boring the TB and putting I a larger MAF along with a larger air intake? If so, how hard is it? It appears from other threads that the TB can be sent off and bolted back on....what about the MAF?

Old 07-05-2015, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 128 Posts

Ive bene running the MINA filer/heat shield setup for quite awhile and I did notice an improvement in performance...I recently upgraded to a 3.5 inch intake setup and couldn't fit my heat shield for now. I can honestly say that I feel a loss in performance. Perhaps the MAFs temperature sensor is reading hot air and cutting timing or I have a leak. Wasn't too happy with fitment. Ill have to play around with it. on my xjr I have a 3.5 inch pipe with the MINA kit and I have not had any performance issues whatsoever..Just smiles. So yes you will get a decent gain in performance but Id avoid sucking in huge amounts of hot air...I do plan on adding the larger MAF I have along with the later model blower and bored TB....Just haven't had the time..When I do get it all up and running Ill post on it

The following users liked this post:
regger21 (07-06-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 11:26 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by XxSlowpokexX
When I do get it all up and running Ill post on it
Looking forward to it!

Old 12-05-2019, 06:10 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by billat3800ft
Lawson at powerhouse said I need larger intercooler but other posts say all i need are additional fans?

Thanks in advance
Go with what Lawnson says that guy from powerhouse has alot of experience with these cars... I choose to go with the 4 row intercooler & high flow intercooler pump then bought the impact bar from paragon designs which is lighter and has higher airflow this allows air to pass to the radiator nicely

Old 12-07-2019, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

Cars the age of these are typically 20% down on power due to aging of the management sensors. The most productive way to get this back is to replace the O2 sensors, replace the MAF, pull the injectors and have them tested, cleaned and balanced by a pro, replace engine fluids and filters, and install new top quality plugs. This will get you 20% more than you had. For me, this is noticeable and keeps the car at stock settings. When you get to messing with changing supercharger speeds, you are getting the car out of balance, making it harder to tune. My take on this is that you buy the car with the performance you want and keep it there. My Mercedes E550 coupe outperforms the XKR significantly, but does not look as nice. Tough choices we have.

Old 12-07-2019, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

I meant to mention a critical check for the intercooler system. I found a while ago that if you pull the cover/cap off the top of the radiator assembly, you may find that the space between the intercooler and the radiator is absolutely packed with debris! I have no idea how this mess got in there, but after blowing all out with a hose, the running characteristics for the car were greatly improved.

Old 12-07-2019, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,582 Likes on 1,421 Posts

I see this old thread was resurrected today, so I thought I'd add my 2 cent's worth: I love my 2002 XKR convertible dearly, but save your money and buy a 5.0L X150 XKR. They can now be bought at such unbelievably low prices that it just doesn't make sense to put the money into the X100 platform that already can't handle the power it has on tap. I own both, and although I enjoy the aesthetics of my 2002 more and receive more compliments on it than any other car I've ever owned (including my pristine Pantera), the fact is, the shocking power and agility of the X150 5L platform is so far advanced that there is no comparison. Enjoy your X100 for what it is, a beautiful, classic British GT and pick up an X150 at the bargain basement prices that are out there right now. You can find decent examples under $20,000. You'll be stunned at the difference in ride quality, handling, and speed.