XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 xkr no start - anti theft mode?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2023, 12:24 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2000 xkr no start - anti theft mode?

Hi everyone,

I'm really at my wits end with my 2000 xkr (uk) and really hoping somebody can help.

Battery went dead, replaced it, now alarm goes off everytime I try to start it.
It won't crank and I have a flashing red light on the j-gate.
I've scoured forums and tried loads of things but no luck so far.

I have 2 keys but have never been able to get a fob to sync in the 5 years I've owned it.

So far i have -

checked all fuses and relays.

Had both keys re-coded - recoding guy said keys are fine, but not talking to bcu.

Wd40 in ignition barrell - flap returning to 75% closure after key removed.

Disconnected battery, put key in ignition in run position, connected battery, turned key on and off, still no start/alarm.

Unplugged BCU behind glove box, unplugged battery, left for hour, plugged bcu back in, re-connected battery, still no start/alarm.

Tried various locking unlocking, key in ignition at different positions, battery disconnected/connected, still no start/alarm goes off.

Any help at all is really appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Dale.

Old 02-27-2023, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,544 Posts

Originally Posted by delhump
I have 2 keys but have never been able to get a fob to sync in the 5 years I've owned it.
So, I assume that you must use the key to lock/unlock the car and, that prior to this latest hiccup, you got the key into the ignition in time to inhibit the alarm?

Do you have an OBD code reader?

Old 02-28-2023, 03:53 AM

Hi MichaelH,

Yes correct on both points. When I used to unlock the car it would bong until I put the key in the ignition and turned it. If I didn't do this in time the alarm would go off.
Now the key doesn't stop the alarm activating, and it won't turn over.
I don't know if it's relevant but I'm also unable to move the gear selector out of park now aswell.

I do have an OBD reader - but it isn't throwing up any codes.
I did more research yesterday and the next 2 things to look at seem to be the Key Transponder Module and the Exiter coil? Does anybody know if I replace these are they 'plug and play' if the same part number, or if they need to be coded?

Thanks.

Old 02-28-2023, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member

It does seem that the car doesn't recognise the key, although I'd expect to see a P1260 code.

Does the alarm fire off as soon as you reconnect the battery? The manual states that the car will resume the previous security state as an added protection in the event the battery is disconnected and reconnected in an attempt to defeat the alarm. I've attached the relevant document in case you don't have the originals. It states 97-99 but I'm pretty sure it's valid for MY2000. It also states to cancel the alarm in the normal manner, but doesn't explain how if the key/fob isn't working

You can check the exciter ring with an ohmmeter:- it should read about 34 ohms. The KTM isn't plug 'n play as it stores the key IDs.

There may be other things going on, but you have to get the car out of the full alarm state. I'd considered the 'Immo Setup', but I don't think a problem there fires the alarm. I suspect that nothing has broken, just the car has got itself into a tangle over the flat battery.

Attached Files
Old 02-28-2023, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,502 Likes on 1,051 Posts

When I used to unlock the car it would bong ...I don't know if it's relevant but I'm also unable to move the gear selector out of park now as well.
It sounds like the car does not know the gear selector is in (P)ark, i.e, a failed switch. You might want to remove the plastic plug on the selector trim and activate the interlock override to see if you can start with the selector in (N)eutral. Check if the lights follow the gear selector as you move it around the j-gate. These lights are not simple switches, they are the result of CAN messages literally telling you where the car thinks the selector is.

I do have an OBD reader - but it isn't throwing up any codes.
It can't be, you should have either P1000 or P1111. OBDII protocol is on the ISO-9141/Serial link. See if you can "force" your reader on this. There are active SCP and CAN networks too, but, confusingly, OBDII is not offered on those networks.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

The following users liked this post:
michaelh (02-28-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,060 Likes on 851 Posts

P1000 is ignored by many readers

alarm and blinking = not the immobilizer. you can go into the KTM and see key identify status, if it’s a good key the bpm energizes the starter relay. end of story

Last edited by xalty; 02-28-2023 at 10:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
michaelh (02-28-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member

Are there any pointers in this thread from Robert Shalack? The symptoms are similar, although the thread doesn't reach a final conclusion:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...2/#post2473893

Originally Posted by xalty
P1000 is ignored by many readers
Which would explain why my Android/Torque/ELM327 combo only shows a status page, never P1000/P1111

Sorry for the OT

Old 02-28-2023, 04:27 PM

Hi everyone,

Really appreciate everyone who has taken the time to reply.

Update-
Today I called a person I know from jag auto jumbles who breaks break's and also works on them and who has always been helpful with issues and parts in the past.

He said he'd seen this issue quite often, and would pickup my car, provide the parts and install them for a very reasonable price.
He's picking up the car tomorrow, I'll report back when I get the car back, letting you know what he did and if it resolved it - there's nothing more annoying than a thread where you never find out if/how the problem was resolved!

thanks again everyone,

Old 03-27-2023, 02:40 PM

As promised- the resolution.
The garage changed the ecu, bcm and ancillaries and the car now starts and runs perfectly. Not as expensive as I expected either.

Thanks to all who replied. Hopefully this will help somebody else in the future.

The following 2 users liked this post by delhump:
dibbit (03-28-2023), michaelh (03-28-2023)
Old 03-28-2023, 02:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 355 Posts

If you still have the old ECU it might be worth opening it up and looking for damage/repairing and keeping as a spare.