XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

The 2000 XKR Texas Flood project, part 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 09:50 PM
Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

So, I do realize this is how it's suppose to look, but after 60 days or so with the interior and dash sitting on shelves........ Anyway.. 5ish hours to put it back together. an observant eye will see the center is still missing. Or was until tonight when I finished the bypass switch. I opted to go that route as I could never get the roof switch to run the windows. I suspect it has something to do with the top not "locking in place" when up, and i'll be running the top in manual mode this summer. In any event, it turned out great and works perfectly. (i'll take a pic of my install location for my next post). The Bosch pump arrived today as well, so that's tomorrow night. As far as priming the hoses. I typically use a small woodworking clamp and pinch the hoses shut prior to disconnecting them from the pump. I have also used deep well sockets on needle nose vice grips for the same effect. Typically I get very little fluid loss, but I will watch for flow and prime if needed, thanks for the tip.

I also got my i930 obdii and went through every module and cleared every code I could, just to base line the car. I picked up a 327 bluetooth OBDii as well and the temp (using torque and which is what i'm most concerned about) stabilized around 195 after around 20 minutes of run time, half of it near 2000 rpm's as I was trying to raise temp and play with the app. Once I put it on the road for an extended drive and KNOW it's up to temp I'll feel better. Lastly tonight I took the trunk and Gas cap electric plunger's out and forced them closed. (rusted open so the dash buttons didn't work.). Happy to say that I got them free, reinstalled and now my remote dash releases work!. All in all a good day.

Thursday Morning (after the bosch pump and hood install tues/wed night) it goes for it's iowa inspection (hour drive each way) and then for a title/licence!. Should be legal to drive by noon on Thursday.. (fingers crossed).

The following 4 users liked this post by MidnghtOwl:
bcprice36 (06-05-2018), cjd777 (06-05-2018), JagNoir (06-09-2018), michaelh (06-05-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 08:42 AM

Back again. (and I continue to use these forums for troubleshooting!)

Anyway. Iowa inspection passed yesterday, and she's road legal! (Thursday June 7th). I left my 327 obdii bluetooth tool plugged in and used torque lite to monitor the car during it's 250 mile day. Yep. Put 250 miles on the OO R on it's first day out of the garage!. As expected some issues have crept up, but nothing that caused me to shut it down. Temp always stable at 195.7,

The good. well obviously 250 miles! and the smile it puts on my face to be sitting behind the wheel! Even though I don't think the suspension is working quite right. It corners like it should, rack is very tight, noise from the road (on Bald p-zeros) is as expected. Essentially everything in the car works. Trip computer, lights, wipers, cruise etc. Only thing that is obviously NOT working is the side mirror remote. Not a big deal. (The OO R came to work with me today too, then off to the golf course!)

The minor things;
Three codes are occasionally being thrown at the car. EGR P0400 (don't really care). I've also seen the 7100? 7400 lean bank codes (twice, but 100 miles before they came back up, and sorry I don't recall the exact number) each time they popped up was during some play time...

Bigger issues?
Rev limiter. The car dies under full throttle. (no gas? or plugged Cats? is my first thought). and won't rev over 4k rpm. (very similar to the 3k neutral rev limit feel). So need to sort that out. Considering the Cats were underwater (with who knows what for debris) it's possible they are partial plugged. We are going to change the fuel filter, and snake a camera up into the cats to see what we can learn. the car runs fine under normal accel/cruise at 65-70 without an issue. Trip computer shows 18.9 mpg over 250 miles yesterday. Also, i'm running 91 non-ethanol gas. Anyone else running 10% or 87 octane in an XKR? recommendations?

Rear End. Small whine from the rear. only really hear it when coasting at low speed, and then it's not consistent. Could be the brake rotors rubbing, could be the rear diff, could be a bearing. We are going to tap the rear diff (thanks to the forums for the location!) and flush it properly properly then refill. If the whine remains then we'll have to drop it and check the bearings. We managed a suction system on the rear diff back during our de-watering phase and did pull water out of the rear end. So need to take care of that sooner rather than later.

Tires. Tuesday. (BFGoodrich Comp 2 A/S going on) That should help improve ride and road noise. I'll let you know how I like um! 45k warranty tire.

Overhead hydraulics. This was a bit of a laugh as the stored fluid in the overhead started spraying around the dash, seats, me, etc one I put the top down and the air wrapped around the windshield. Needless to say, the overhead if out and draining and the hole is stuffed with shop rags to prevent another slimy shower! (MAYBE I should have fixed that over the winter?)

thanks to all who have followed and given me encouragement during this journey! Some REALLY great people here!

Attached Thumbnails The 2000 XKR Texas Flood project, part 2-atwork.jpg   The 2000 XKR Texas Flood project, part 2-topdown.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
jimmiejag (06-08-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

Well done....

MidnghtOwl (06-08-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,397 Likes on 1,554 Posts

Great news and another one saved.

Enjoy!

MidnghtOwl (06-08-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 654 Posts
Question MidNightOwl's Rear is Noisey!

Sometimes my Rear-End whines a little while cruising along about 50....give it a little gas and it goes away....could be harmonics....Do you have a Speed Limiter on the Shifter Basel? If you do, that could be limiting your speed....if it is on or shorted-out.....

If you need to dry it out some more, bring it back to Houston....Temp. today was only 97 and has been in the 90's for over 2 weeks...…

Glad to hear about it passing inspection....That's great! Which Wheels are on the Convertible? or What size? My 2000 XKR Coupe had 18" or 19" DoubleFives and I can't see your Wheels in the Photos.....The Goodrich TA's should work good for you!

You might want to check the EGR Tube on Bank 1 as sometimes it will break or develop a crack and that give you a Lean Code....Runs from RH Exhaust Manifold to bottom of the Throttle Body.....

Billy Clyde in Houston

Last edited by bcprice36; 06-08-2018 at 07:07 PM.
MidnghtOwl (06-08-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 08:36 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by bcprice36
....Do you have a Speed Limiter on the Shifter Basel? If you do, that could be limiting your speed....if it is on or shorted-out.....

Which Wheels are on the Convertible? or What size? My 2000 XKR Coupe had 18" or 19" DoubleFives and I can't see your Wheels in the Photos.....The Goodrich TA's should work good for you!

You might want to check the EGR Tube on Bank 1 as sometimes it will break or develop a crack and that give you a Lean Code....Runs from RH Exhaust Manifold to bottom of the Throttle Body.....

Billy Clyde in Houston
Billy,

I don't think there is a speed limiter. After another 50 miles or so today. even at 30mph at 1800 rpm it will occasionally fail to accel, like its starved for gas. I know it will hard shut off the fuel flow if/when it hits 4k. I have to be pushing a bit on the go fast pedal to get it over 4k before it wants to shift (obviously) but something isn't happy or right with it. (yet.)

tires. 255/45/18's on the rear 245 up front.

I might get some rack/garage time this weekend we will check those EGR locations you mentioned. Thanks for the tip. (side note, they didn't pop up today, 89 and muggy here in Iowa today). Houston doesn't quite sound like vert weather!!!

Old 06-08-2018, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,272 Likes on 698 Posts

Nice to see it is back on the road.

Awesome job dude!

Old 12-04-2019, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by fmertz
There is an built-in diagnostic procedure in the A/C module, and it does not require any special tools, software or otherwise:

1. Ignition off - hold down AUTO and RECIRCULATION buttons and
switch on the ignition
2. press AUTO button - if ZERO shows, there's no stored
error codes
3. press FACE button repeatedly to scroll through stored
fault codes
4. press FACE and HEATED REAR WINDOW buttons together to
clear a fault code.
5. repeat step 4 if there's more than one code
6. press FAN button to exit Interrogation Procedure
Brilliant, Mr Mertz!!!

In this description,,, "FACE" is the vent control button that basically looks like a driver in the seat with heat being directed to the,,,, face, lol...? Yes, now that I ask it, it sounds like (is) a stupid question (self explanatory) but I just want to be sure...

Old 12-04-2019, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by JayJagJay
"FACE" is the vent control button that basically looks like a driver in the seat with heat being directed to the,,,, face, lol...?
Exactly.

Old 12-04-2019, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by fmertz
Exactly.
Cool! Thank you!

Old 01-18-2020, 09:52 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Just in case you ever go into "limp mode"... It took me a long time to diagnose. The culprit for my 2000 xjr was corrosion inside the wire connector above the transmission bell housing accessed from above behind the engine near the O2 connectors. My car was never under water and still had connector corrosion in that area.

Old 06-25-2020, 08:30 AM

So some minor update on the Texas Flood recovery., the poor fuel delivery turned out to be a VERY badly carbon filled Mass air Flow Sensor. Some break cleaner and a very soft bristle brush took care of that. I also swapped it with the one out of my parts car but there is no noticable difference. Amazing how one sensor can mess that up.

We also swapped my front shocks with my parts car. Turns out the lower bushing and upper shocks mounts were completely destroyed. We also added a 3/16 spacer above the shock mount during reassembly to level out the ride. As it sits now, much better front end clearance, but still about a 1" drop from back to front.

Side note. we were able to push out the lower bushing and replace with aftermarket rubber. Improved the small slop in the handling along the way.

Nor sure why I haven't been on more. I'll try to make more time in the future!

Jared

The following 3 users liked this post by MidnghtOwl:
Dav2ison (08-04-2020), RJ237 (06-25-2020), sklimii (06-25-2020)