XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

2000 XKR Traction control will not turn off. Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014 | 07:04 PM
|
Default 2000 XKR Traction control will not turn off. Advice?

I press the traction control button, and the button light turns red, and about 2 seconds later it turns back off.
Traction control seems to work as expected, ie. when i hit the gas hard enough that it would lose traction the computer takes over and slows the wheels, while simultaneously, lights on the dash (which i did not have time to read) come on. This is normal, correct?
So, if the TC is working properly, why cant i disable it?
This is my first Jaguar, and I just got it, so maybe Im making a noob mistake, but I have searched for hours and can find no other problems matching mine...

Old 06-08-2014 | 12:23 AM

The button may be binding. Check out this thread: "https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...urn-off-26013/"(the DSC is similar to the hazard button in this case)

The following users liked this post:
FreeThePirate (06-09-2014)
Old 06-08-2014 | 03:26 AM
|

Thanks for the link MarcB!
There is a chance this is my problem. Ill have to take the console apart to check. Yesterday I skimmed a walkthrough thread on doing just that, to replace the climate control backlighting (which has a blown bulb, so I can kill 2 birds with one stone there)

Im not sure the symptoms match up tho... Ive noticed a few things that may be indicative of another problem.
-The button seems to work properly, insofar as the 'clicking feeling' dosent change. It feels like its engaging fully each time, and thus it seems like its also disengaging fully to do so.
-The button will light up for about 2 seconds and then go out. It will not come back on until I have turned the car off and back on. Then another 2 seconds.
-The voltage gauge reads low. 12-13 volts, depending on rpm's. Assuming the gauge is right, that seems barely passable. I have read that this can cause a severe case of gremlins.

Old 06-08-2014 | 10:33 AM

Could definitely be the battery, but note when the button is engaged there should be an led indicator light on the button. Is it illuminating?

Old 06-08-2014 | 02:37 PM
|

Yes, it is illuminating for about 2 seconds, and then turning back off.
It is the only light that illuminates, there is nothing in the instrument cluster. Im assuming this is proper?
When the tires slip the traction control does kick in, and at that time, only when the tires would be slipping, there is a yellow light on the instrument cluster that illuminates. Is that also proper?

I will pull the switch to make sure its functioning properly. Ill have to wait for shipping to send me a bulb for the AC lcd backlight first, so I can do both at the same time. Im really doubting its the button, but I want to make sure.

It really seems like the car is turning the traction control back on.
Does the valet button affect this? Im assuming theres not a valet key for these models, since theres a button...
Anything else that would make the traction control revert or default to 'active'?

Old 06-08-2014 | 02:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by FreeThePirate
Does the valet button affect this? Im assuming theres not a valet key for these models, since theres a button...

Anything else that would make the traction control revert or default to 'active'?
They originally came with a valet key. Looks the same except for a slightly shorter cut and a green head vs. the black.

Once the car is turned off, I believe it resets the traction control. It should not go off while running and in motion that I know of.

FreeThePirate (06-10-2014)
Old 06-08-2014 | 07:45 PM

If you can read DATA from the ABS module you can determine if the switch is faulty or the module.

WDS/IDS has a function called DATALOGGER and you can watch sensors and switches in 'real-time'.

Autologic or AutoEnginuity might have a similar function.

bob gauff

FreeThePirate (06-10-2014)
Old 06-08-2014 | 08:46 PM

Yes, at this point, and considering the behavior of the led indicator, I'd doubt it's the switch.

The systems on these cars are interrelated to a lot of things, in fact the TC is linked to the cruise control too and if you engage cruise control it will turn the TC back on.

Do you have access to a WDS/IDS, Autologic or AutoEnginuity scan tools Bob mentioned? It is probably the quickest way to see what is going on.

Old 06-08-2014 | 11:16 PM
Veteran Member

Your car has developed clairvoyance and is turning the TC back on as a means of saving both you and itself.

But yes, seems like the TC and ASC are working properly, just not turning off properly.

Old 06-10-2014 | 03:13 AM
|

I do not have any scan tools. I looked around but can find no solid pricing range, and really can not tell which is more desirable for my situation. That being said, Im tecnoliterate to a good degree, and can learn what i need to.
Im in Atlanta, so I know they have a good selection of reputable places to go.
I plan to own this vehicle for a very long time, so as you Jaguar owners might tell me, how often would I need it if I got one?
Question is, do I need one, or would i be better off finding a good tech locally that has one? And if I need one, what should I get that wont break the bank?

Old 07-01-2014 | 07:15 PM
|

Problem Solved!

Remember, I stated I am new to the XKR and that it may be a noob problem? Well, the thing nobody thought of, and the simplest possible explanation, was to simply TURN ON SPORT MODE!!

Works fine.

Old 07-01-2014 | 08:24 PM
Veteran Member

I'm glad it works in sport mode, but it should work either way. Odd behavior, but that happens at times with these cars.

Old 07-02-2014 | 04:52 PM
|

Well, back to the drawing board...

I intend to fix every system on this vehicle, bar none, to work perfectly; better than new where possible. A vehicle of this caliber deserves no less.
Im not interested in bawling the tires into clouds of expensive smoke (at least not often... lol), not because I cant afford tires, but because I cant see the sense in ******* such a beautiful machine.
That being said, Ive got to get this fixed properly!
Ive noticed that when it does work (by work, I mean turn off) it stays off for several minutes, then blinks (the red led on the trac button blinks) on and off fairly quickly. If I press the button again it restores traction control, and then when I push the button again it goes off properly and stays off permanently.
Thats definitely still exhibiting odd behavior... I think Ill have to take it to a professional. I can fix anything mechanical, but electrical work for me ends at replacing bulbs, fuses, and relays, for the most part.

Old 07-03-2014 | 05:56 AM
Veteran Member

If you are going to keep the car and debug like many here spend the $ now and get a good scanner that reads all jag sensors you'll eventually need it and it'll pay for itself over time. There are a number of threads on scanners to chk out