XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

2001 xkr fuel pump issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 05:35 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2001 xkr fuel pump issues

Hello,
I recently changed both fuel pumps because the car wouldnt start. Before i changed the pumps i couldnt get power to fuel pump fuse. When i jumped the relay the pumps didnt run and i had power to the fuse. Changed both pumps and everything worked fine for.a week. I went to a garage to have the check engine lite cleared and on the way home it just quit running. No power to the fuel pump fuse again. This time when i jump the relay the pumps run so i know its not the pumps. I swapped the relay with other relays amd still the same. Anybody have any suggestions where to look next. I have checked every fuse on the car and they all seem good. Im not sure how to ck the ECU but i know its suppose to energize the relay to power up the pumps.. Any help would be greatly appreceiated..

Old 08-20-2017, 01:44 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi,
I have attached the schematic and connector location details. Hope this helps.

Regards

Attached Thumbnails 2001 xkr fuel pump issues-fuel-pump-2.jpg   2001 xkr fuel pump issues-fuel-pump-1.jpg  
Old 08-20-2017, 08:38 PM
Received 317 Likes on 243 Posts

You said you checked all the fuses, however did you pull them out and check the ones in relation to the fuel pumps. On Fuel pump relay 1, there is another fuse, #7 in the fuse box in trunk, between relay and pump. Don't forget fuse to the relay as well. I've had fuses that appear to look ok when still installed, but once removed there's a tiny break, but will still have power on one side.

It's possible it could be an ECM issue, I've had a few of them come in for service, then wont start after. Took the ECM out and sent away to someone who repairs ECM's and other control modules.

Last edited by JBzXJ40; 08-20-2017 at 08:39 PM. Reason: forgot information
Old 08-21-2017, 12:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Eddie, I saw the same thing happen to an XJS , it was the inertia shut off switch.

I don't think I saw you mentioning whether that tests ok, so if you didn't , give it a look. Hook lick with it

John