XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

2002 Jaguar XK8 Base Model Coupe key Locks Behaving Strange

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017 | 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

I'm winging it here, but I've had the same odd response when I changed out the DCM on my '97. Here's what my witch doctor told me to do:

First from the inside manually lock and unlock the car, making certain both door locks are unlocked. Then disconnect the battery and get everything shut down. Next open and shut all the doors to reset any micro switches which might have been out of synch (if that is possible?). Then reconnect battery and see what you have.

I'm not sure what was wrong, but after I did it, everything worked OK. That was two years ago. Good luck / gordo

The following users liked this post:
bjrdunn (09-30-2017)
Old 09-29-2017 | 04:38 PM
|

Originally Posted by bjrdunn
After being out of town for awhile I got the new door actuator installed and that got the driver door to lock/unlock with key and with fob. BUT the fob locking will start a clicking and sound the alarm unless I hit fob's open. Then door stays locked, tho, and if I wait a few seconds or later the fob open unlocks the door. The driver door locks/unlocks as should when car moves. Because of the alarm sounding I replaced the driver DCM. This didn't seem to change anything.
Thinking the pass door could be the reason for the clicking followed by alarm problem I put the removed DCM (thinking it was good to start with) into the pass side. That got BOTH doors to lock on moving and voila, both sides seemed to work correctly. I then drove the car to a store down the street, came back and the locks no longer lock with the fob (alarm sets, tho) and using the key locks/unlocks the driver door but not the pass door.
I guess the pass DCM made the driver DCM unlearn its job). Being totally confused I now just lock the pass door from the inside then use the key to lock the driver side. Fob only works the alarming.
I am thinking the parts are all good but I need to get the dealer to reprogram the DCMs ,or just use the key.
Please let us know if reprogramming the DCM did the trick?

ER,

Old 09-29-2017 | 04:38 PM
|

Please let us know if reprogramming the DCM did the trick?

bjrdunn (09-30-2017)
Old 09-29-2017 | 05:43 PM

I had similar issues on my 2001 XKR. No problems with starting the car, so I thought the battery was good.

I replaced the battery anyway and now all is good. These cars eat batteries. A minor drop in voltage after sitting for a few days will cause all kinds of electrical gremlins.

Stu

bjrdunn (09-30-2017)
Old 10-14-2017 | 10:43 AM

Hi,
I tried the reset procedure. Thanks, it has the driver door back to working with the fob. The passenger door still doesn't. I checked into the reprogramming of the dcm and the expert said if the windows act properly (which they do) he did not think messing with the dcm was needed. He said I have a bad microswitch and should replace it or the door latch.

Old 10-19-2017 | 03:04 PM

Well, the door locks all work properly now so thanks for the replies to this issue.
I replaced the passenger door latch/actuator and that did the trick.

In summary both my door latches had a failed microswitch. I switched the driver's side a several weeks back and that side would then lock and autolock. My 4x's click/chirp then sound alarm had to be caused by the driver door doing it's thing then trying to lock the passenger side several times then sounding the alarm when it wouldn't lock.

Again, thanks for the replies.