XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

2002 XK8 or 1997 Aston DB7

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 333 Posts
Default 2002 XK8 or 1997 Aston DB7

Thanks to Frog's search for an Aston Martin, I started looking as well.
I came up with this 1997 db7 convert with 44,000 miles. 24,900.00. I really thought I wanted this but since it quite a distance from me, ite making me rethink my XK8. Since installing my arden body kit, I've fallen back in love with my XK8. And I'm not a fan of red with tan. And except for the perceived superiority of the Aston badge, is it really that much better??
Here's the car. 2002 XK8 or 1997 Aston DB7-image.jpg
I've been emailing the dealer and can't get a read on the real condition. The price is right which seems low to me.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member

Here's a pic of my XK8 as it sits now. I personally think my XK8 may be nicer!!2002 XK8 or 1997 Aston DB7-image.jpg

Old 06-14-2013, 08:58 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I prefer the XK8 shape to the DB7 anyday. It looks much more contemporary both inside and outside.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:21 AM
JSC
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I would do many things for a Aston Martin, but the DB9. For $25k, you can take your XK8, which looks better already, and play with the hp, and have lots of the $25k left. And I agree, the red and tan does not do it for me either.

I believe that the DB7 will have the supercharged inline 6 cylinder with 335hp. Even the 4.0 XKR has more hp..

Old 06-14-2013, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 690 Likes on 560 Posts

Keep tweaking the XK and save the money.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:35 PM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Which one?

I think the Jaguar looks a lot nicer than the A.M. A LOT nicer! The A.M. looks like it has fresh red paint...always a bad sign. I guess it could be the original, but it's hard to tell for sure from the pic.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:55 PM
Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

If I'm correct, DB7 is a restyled Jag xk100. When comparing the styling of the two cars, the Jaguar, while still retaining classical lines, looks more updated than the A.M. The xk interior wins over Db7 for sure. I, like everyone else on this thread prefer the XK.
If the extra cash is burning a hole in your pocket, do what Jeff from Tucson did and install the AVOS Twin Screw supercharger. Then, even a DB9 will not catch up with you.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DevSpider
If I'm correct, DB7 is a restyled Jag xk100. When comparing the styling of the two cars, the Jaguar, while still retaining classical lines, looks more updated than the A.M. The xk interior wins over Db7 for sure. I, like everyone else on this thread prefer the XK.
If the extra cash is burning a hole in your pocket, do what Jeff from Tucson did and install the AVOS Twin Screw supercharger. Then, even a DB9 will not catch up with you.
Actually the DB7 was based off the canned XJ 40 and 41. Ford took over and ceased any further development of the Possible XJS replacement choosing instead to save $ and refurbish the xjs. Even the Aston engine was a supercharged aj16 with a bit of tweaking. Not a single body panel is shared with the xk8 bit looks soooo similar!!
I hate the red and tan and frankly, if I really look, the xk8 is much sexier!!! Tis particular db7 is a bit chick.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:16 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

When tossing the idea of a DB7 around, I did a quick look to see if there is any comparable forum for them. I didn't find one.

Easy access to good advice and expertise was a major deciding factor. I'm still at the stage where I want to tinker and manage the cost of ownership and this forum is half the fun for me.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,262 Likes on 565 Posts

Personally I think the XK8 is a MUCH better looking car. The Aston Martin would be cool just because IT'S A FLIPPIN' ASTON MARTIN!!! But the graceful curves of the XK8 are much more eye-catching. I got so much attention in my XK8 because it was just so damn gorgeous. The Aston will attract attention when people notice what it is, just because they are unusual to see. But it doesn't stand out like the XK8.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:11 PM
Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts

It's nice to see the Rev posting. =)

Old 06-14-2013, 11:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,441 Likes on 771 Posts

Originally Posted by DevSpider
Can the Twin Screw be installed in a Naturally Aspirated XK8 or is it only viable in the already supercharged XKR?

Old 06-15-2013, 12:18 AM
Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts

There is too much to do to a normally aspirated XK8 to enable the use of a supercharger (like replacing its engine and ECU plus other electronics with those from an XKR). It is far easier and cheaper to buy an XKR, then do the supercharger improvement. I intentionally bought a high-mile XKR, knowing that I was going to replace the engine and do lots of modifications. My original car only cost me $8600 last year. It cost another $22k to pay experienced technicians to replace the engine with a newer 4.2 engine from a 2003 XKR, buy the twin screw kit, and pay to have it all custom-installed. I didn't have the time or comfort level to do the installation myself. It has been worth EVERY penny! I saved up and paid for it one step at a time over the last year. Next week, the new dual clutch differential and blue top solenoids go in. Wahoo!

Old 06-15-2013, 01:26 AM
Veteran member
Received 169 Likes on 126 Posts

I'll cut straight to the chase: the DB7 is best avoided, at least if you're starting from an XK8/R. They're based on the 1970's Jaguar XJS - much more so than our XK8s - have terrible build quality and are way overpriced. My uncle bought one new about 12 years ago and even then it was terrible. If you lust after an AM like I do, then save up a little more and go for what are referred to as Gaydon-era models (V8 Vantage or DB9).

Old 06-15-2013, 07:16 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Frog
I'll cut straight to the chase: the DB7 is best avoided, at least if you're starting from an XK8/R. They're based on the 1970's Jaguar XJS - much more so than our XK8s - have terrible build quality and are way overpriced. My uncle bought one new about 12 years ago and even then it was terrible. If you lust after an AM like I do, then save up a little more and go for what are referred to as Gaydon-era models (V8 Vantage or DB9).
From the ones I've looked at locally, I totally agree. I really didn't like the interior. Felt poorly put together. But 24,000.00 was in my price range and I've always wanted one. Just didnt expect how much it looked like an xk8 in person.
If this were any other color than red, I'd really be debating.
I have to add, there seems to be a reason it hasn't sold yet. I've not seen in person and I know how deceptive photos can be.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:30 AM
Veteran member

Agreed. The red and beige model in your photo is a particularly nasty combination. Avoid!

Old 06-15-2013, 07:50 AM
Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Frog
DB9 is the way to go. Vantage V8, having driven a 2007, has a harsh ride and does not feel refined, when compared to the XKR. That's my 2 cents.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
Personally I think the XK8 is a MUCH better looking car. The Aston Martin would be cool just because IT'S A FLIPPIN' ASTON MARTIN!!! But the graceful curves of the XK8 are much more eye-catching. I got so much attention in my XK8 because it was just so damn gorgeous. The Aston will attract attention when people notice what it is, just because they are unusual to see. But it doesn't stand out like the XK8.
I agree. Since finishing my Arden kit I get so many stares and comments! And the all black look that I did really stands out. If I can just get this damn evasive coolant leak/smell located! And I've read the Aston has cooling issues as well!! And many others to boot!! I can only imagine the parts costs.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:33 AM
Veteran member

If I won the lottery, this would be my list in order of preference

1. V8 Vantage S
2. V12 Vantage
3. DBS
4. V8 Vantage
5. DB9

The Vanquish would be worth buying on its name alone, but I drove one a few weeks ago and it's HUGE and boat-like. Big disappointment.

And yes, you're right about the running costs of an Aston. Basically, take a Jag and multiply by two.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

A few weeks ago at the Queen's English Car Show, I had a chance to take a look at probably a 1997 DB 7 parked nearby my 2002 XKR. Around L.A. you see them driving around and often I have mistaken them for XK8/XKRs when seeing them in profile. When I looked up close, I was not impressed. Although the obvious family resemblance, panels are more exaggerated, not as sensuous, nothing remarkable about the interior as well. And although it looks so much like our cars, it appears more dated, less classic and less modern at the same time. Straight up dollar for dollar i wouldn't swap. Regarding newer Astons, I think the Vantage has the best proportions and is one of the most attractive cars available. The big Astons are big, and they look big. From some angles I simply don't like them at all. Sorry to rain on anyone's parade, but the marque's name has to mean something in either performance, luxury, or value, not just prestige before I'd consider changing.

Quick Reply: 2002 XK8 or 1997 Aston DB7