XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

2002 XK8 - Cannot lift manual top

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 04:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 XK8 - Cannot lift manual top

I experienced the green fluid pouring out onto the gear shifter on a hot day when putting down the convertible top electronically. The green fluid poured out of the cockpit light and screen unit in the center of the windshield just below the latch. I then opened and closed the hydraulic fluid tank in the trunk. I took the hex wrench and opened the latch by hand and tried repeatedly to lift the top manually. It will only move with huge effort, about 2 inches. I must be doing something wrong. Also, how will I know if the hoses are leaking or if the hydraulic unti is shot. And does anyone recommend repairing the hoses with a repair kit for hydraulic leaks?? Thanks Ken B

Old 07-25-2020, 05:37 PM
GGG
Received 16,870 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forums Ken,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to X100 forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 07-25-2020, 05:58 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a somewhat similar problem, green shower and my top never worked when I got the car. I did the manual bypass and the drivers side retracted more than the passenger side it barely moved on the passenger side. What happened is it appears that one of the hydraulic rams failed, I had to to pull the rear seat and rear door card, I ended up removing the hydraulic ram from the passenger side I tried to disconnect the electronic plug but that did not help

I now just use the top manually. as I figure out the window regulators and all the other issues etc Not sure if this is your issue but it has worked for me temporarily so far

Old 07-25-2020, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,364 Likes on 754 Posts

Ken, you didn't say if you opened the screw on the pump to take it back up.
Lots of information on replacing the hoses and the latch and where to send the parts. Just do a search at the top of the page.

The following users liked this post:
ken Baker (07-25-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 06:18 PM
Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

Ken, unfortunately you have just experienced the famous green shower. The latch hoses in the windshield header has failed. To manually raise the roof, you need to open the petcock on the pump to relieve the pressure. Leave it open and the roof should be easily raised and lowered. You can raise the roof and use the allen wrench to close the latch . Now, since the pump was not used to raise the roof, the micro switch saying the lifting rams are up, the back windows will not go up. You now have a choice, manually pull the ram up to lock so you can use the button to close the window, or you can "jump" the relays to raise each window separately. Now that the car is closed and secure, you can search this forum for advice on how to replace the hydraulic lines if you choose to do so. You could also plug the ports for the latch lines off the pump and just use the allen wrench to latch and unlatch the top. In the meantime, you have some cleaning to do. Best of luck to you.

Last edited by dcarlo; 07-25-2020 at 06:19 PM. Reason: wrong word, slab instead of allen
The following 2 users liked this post by dcarlo:
ken Baker (07-25-2020), Syb Drylst (08-03-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 06:22 PM
Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

I hope that someone on this forum could share some links to one of the posts detailing how to replace the hydraulic lines. I am not familiar enough to do it for you.

Old 07-25-2020, 09:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pressure on the ram near tge frame

Originally Posted by dcarlo
Ken, unfortunately you have just experienced the famous green shower. The latch hoses in the windshield header has failed. To manually raise the roof, you need to open the petcock on the pump to relieve the pressure. Leave it open and the roof should be easily raised and lowered. You can raise the roof and use the allen wrench to close the latch . Now, since the pump was not used to raise the roof, the micro switch saying the lifting rams are up, the back windows will not go up. You now have a choice, manually pull the ram up to lock so you can use the button to close the window, or you can "jump" the relays to raise each window separately. Now that the car is closed and secure, you can search this forum for advice on how to replace the hydraulic lines if you choose to do so. You could also plug the ports for the latch lines off the pump and just use the allen wrench to latch and unlatch the top. In the meantime, you have some cleaning to do. Best of luck to you.
thank you everyone for your great responses and time. The top is up and when i had the green shower the back windows went down but the top never opened and went down. I can lift the top 3" from the windshield but it will not budge padt that. I think that the rams whatever they are. Are not allowing the top to open. Can anyone advise on how to release these rams? I have been told and Gus suggests applying pressure where the ram meets the frame. How is this done with one hand? Do i need to pull the back seat or us a tool to release the ram? Thanks everyone for you help.
ken

Old 07-25-2020, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,419 Likes on 755 Posts
Default You need to release the hinges above the hydraulic Rams

Ken,

Here's an excerpt from the Driver's Manual for how to manually release open the convertible top.

You seem to have gotten to step 3. Note steps 4 and 5 and be very careful to not bend the hinges laterally. Do not forget step 2 otherwise it won't budge. A bit of lubrication on the hinge won't hurt, but don't stain the head liner. Pic below.

Now is a decision point for the future. Do you repair and replace the hydraulic lines going to the over head latch, or like alot of owners, bypass the pumps' connections to the latch, and just open the top using the Allen Key, and then press the button to lower the top.

Let us know how you decide to proceed.