XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

2002 XKR: Is riding with the top down but without hooked in cover okay?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,992 Likes on 2,127 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
I looked at many XK's and my observation is that the majority of limp, crappy looking headliners is due to deterioration of the inner foam from time and heat effects.
Originally Posted by Kevin D
Yes, I can see that.

Now, if someone was to ask whether or not they should take the 30 seconds or so that it takes to put the cover on before they go driving 70 mph down the highway, would you advise them that they should, or that is would not matter at all? (over the years that they own the car)
I think it is a good idea for anything but very short trips, if only to keep it clean and perhaps help preserve it a bit. Thats what I do.

Sure the cover is a bit of a pain, but I also see it as something that makes this car distinct.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I'm fairly certain much of the dirty headliners you see on other people's cars are due to lazy people who park in a garage and will leave their top down for days or even weeks. FWIW, I'm not saying that regular driving without the cover won't get it dirty, just that I doubt it's only cause.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,263 Likes on 565 Posts

Who would've thought that this thread would create such a controversy? I'm one of those people who at times drives around without the cover on. I sometimes park it in the garage without the cover on. I can assure you I'm anything but lazy. In my former company I worked my way up from the lowest of positions to a senior corporate position, and I didn't do it by being lazy. I then started my own company, which is doing quite well, something that wouldn't have happened if I was lazy. I do almost all of my own work on my car. If I was lazy I'd just take it to the shop and let them deal with it. I explained my reasons for not using the cover in a prior post. If someone wants to use their cover every time they put the top down, then I respect that. I'm not going to call them names or criticize them for making that choice. But why do some of those people who chose to always use the cover feel the need to call those of us who don't always use the cover "lazy"?

Old 11-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
I think it is a good idea for anything but very short trips, if only to keep it clean and perhaps help preserve it a bit. Thats what I do.

Sure the cover is a bit of a pain, but I also see it as something that makes this car distinct.
I agree, and that is why I would recommend to anyone that to drive at highway speeds of 70 mph for thirty minutes....

"I was just wondering if it's okay to drive without hooking that thing in every time for 30 minutes or so (up to 70mph on a highway)? It's just a bit annoying to put it on and take it off every time."

that it would be advisable to take the extra 15-20 seconds put the cover on, just to be on the safe side.

I feel that that is a very reasonable way to treat one of these cars.

I will be the bigger man here and let this go as my last response.

Sorry if some of my other comments were taken out of context to try to stir up a controversy.

We shall see if it the issue can be allowed to die here. Thanks.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:52 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Gentlemen,

You are both senior members of this most excellent forum, and we respect you for that.

Sam, I too am a Pastafarian. Kevin, we have the same car.

Best regards,

Jack

Old 11-04-2011, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,263 Likes on 565 Posts

that it would be advisable to take the extra 15-20 seconds put the cover on, just to be on the safe side.
15-20 seconds? It takes that long to pop the trunk, climb out of the car, and remove the cover from the trunk. But yeah... it doesn't take long. Maybe a minute or so. Putting it away is even quicker--unless you're doing it in the rain, in which case it seems to take forever.

I will be the bigger man here and let this go as my last response.
So by reviving a thread that's been dead for four days in order to get in one last shot, that makes you the "bigger man"? How does that work, exactly?

We shall see if it the issue can be allowed to die here. Thanks.
It was dead for four days. Then you resuscitated it.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:34 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Well, there's really only one way to kill a thread it appears.

And, I'm only part-time lazy, i've been known to leave the top down w/o the cover, in the garage for the night. I'm aware it gets dirtier more quickly, but i've got a good system now for regular cleanings, so I'm not as frustrated.

cue the music...