XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

2003 XKR cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2022, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,434 Likes on 1,572 Posts

Originally Posted by GilWS
Micahelh, what's the procedure to power the pump from the battery? Do I run two hot leads from the battery into pins 1 and 2 at the same time and no other connections?
Yes, but - although it's extra faff - I'd recommend putting a fuse inline somewhere. The module is fused at 30A, but a 20A would likely be OK for a test.

The feeds from the pump module are both marked as outputs rather than polarity + or - so I suggest red wire to battery positive & yellow/red to negative for starters. If you hear the pump running but don't see a fuel flow, then swop the connections over and try again. (It's a DC motor so will run backwards if the power connections are reversed. I'm not sure it would still pump in that scenario.)

Originally Posted by GilWS
I think I will disconnect the hose from the fuel rail in the engine compartment and see if I get a stream into a bucket.
That makes sense:- get as close as possible to the fuel final destination.

The following 2 users liked this post by michaelh:
cjd777 (09-24-2022), kstevusa (09-24-2022)
Old 09-23-2022, 06:44 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm gobsmacked, as they say in England.
  1. I can't find any access or visibility to the fuel line connector from the top of the filter up into the tank under the car. There is a large woven heat shield covering the expanse, which doesn't seem to exist for the XK6s, and it is held on by plastic nuts. I traced the line from the top of the filter across toward the center where it heads toward the back and disappears under the shield as shown in the picture. I can't reach in anywhere underneath it from either side and would have to take the nuts off, pull down the shield and hope for the best, with serious doubt on how I could bend the shield back up and get the nuts back on.
  2. I looked at Jaguar dealer parts diagrams for the XKR 2003 against earlier year XK6s and there is no underbelly depiction for either. The 2003 (I think) XKR went to the one pump configuration.
  3. Admittedly, I don't understand how the pump works if there is an exit port at the bottom of the tank yet the pump connections seem to be up through the top. I haven't seen any pics or videos with lines that are connected inside tanks to ports at the bottom, but maybe that's how it's done. As I described earlier and showed in the pics, there are three lines from the top of the pump. Two on the left seem to be vapor collectors. The line that I hoped was the fuel outflow through the right green port on top of the pump and follows a hose down through the floor was described by one DIY as a vent, and yet in the pics of pumps such as the one I added here, there seems to be a white line out of the pump that would carry fuel and be attached to the top of the apparatus and out through the green port. Otherwise, how else is fuel forced to the engine? Again, I'm showing my lack of experience with Jaguar fuel systems and the inside of their tanks.

Old 09-23-2022, 06:47 PM

Thank you, kstevusa.

Old 09-24-2022, 12:40 PM
Default Throwing the white towel

1. Well, I worked my way out of the fantasy that I could avoid the dreaded step of removing the fuel line from under the car when I found this excellent pdf that shows everything exposed, with the same tank configuration I have. http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa...eplacement.pdf. This was linked in a thread with the one guy that had the same massive heat shield that I do and he said he and two mechanics got the a up on a lift and they couldn't figure any option besides dropping the differential. That's not something I'm going to do under my car in the driveway.
  2. I also came across this video by a guy in England that is just great. See my comment. He, like others, drilled from the top.
  3. I'm now thinking about the top down option, but only with some electric nibblers.
  4. Thanks again for all your suggestions.

​​​​​

Old 11-26-2022, 09:01 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

For that filter replacement, I would suggest an assistant with small hands. The filter area is very tight ! LOL

Old 11-26-2022, 09:06 PM

Is it possible to ask you to review my post "Another Crank / No start" post entered today (11/26/2022)?

Old 11-26-2022, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by flatsix
Hi, honestly I only skimmed it, but the first action would have been to diagnose the fault with SDD or at least read the DTCs.

For safety reasons, the fuel pump(s) only run when the engine is turning. Before that, they are only triggered for 1-2 seconds when the ignition is switched on.
At the current status, i would first check the fuel pump(s) electrically, i.e. measure whether they are activated by the ECM when the starter turns. As a test, you can also supply the pump directly with battery power.

If the fuel pump is not activated, this can e.g. the inertia switch, the crankshaft or the camshaft sensor, there are many possible causes.

Fritz
Is it possible to get you to review my post of today (11/26/2022)? Your last line was interesting. Do you know where I could find a list of that many causes? I need a check list for why the ECM is failing to supply this essential signal to the fuel pump driver module.

Old 11-26-2022, 09:26 PM

The fuel pump in your 2003 XK8 is NOT run on a steady 12 volt supply and could be damaged by it. It is run on a 12 volt PWM signal with a variable duty cycle from 4% to 51%. Running it on full 12 volts will produce excessive pressure in the fuel system, in excess of 70 lbs. CAUTION is advised ! The 12 v. PWM is a square wave where the length of time when at 12v to the length of time a 0v is a percentage referred to as duty cycle.

Last edited by Paul1940; 11-26-2022 at 09:29 PM.
Old 11-27-2022, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,434 Likes on 1,572 Posts

Agreed, but IMO it's fine for a short go/no go test.

The following users liked this post:
zray (11-27-2022)