XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

2003 XKR possible older J-Gate retrofitted?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,060 Posts

I agree with you, there might be more parts that are not original. If you have the inclination, you might want to disassemble the thing, take pictures and gather part numbers to see what is going on.

Altogether, I am having a hard time even imagining what sort of initial problem lead to this mash up of parts being the "solution". Something "does not compute" in a way.

Old 10-24-2017, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by fmertz
I agree with you, there might be more parts that are not original. If you have the inclination, you might want to disassemble the thing, take pictures and gather part numbers to see what is going on.

Altogether, I am having a hard time even imagining what sort of initial problem lead to this mash up of parts being the "solution". Something "does not compute" in a way.
Maybe, like the OP, they couldn't find a 6 speed j gate, so fitted the next best thing, or possibly didn't even realise there is a difference.

Its difficult to know what effect, if any, the incorrect part makes, but its an obvious place to start.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:28 AM
Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts

Good news! I found an 04 being parted out on Ebay and look to have gotten the shift assembly including gearshift illumination module, sport button and trim, as well as the linear switch. Anxious to see what, if anything, happens when this comes in and I install it. Will keep everyone posted with the results. Have a great weekend in the meantime!

Old 11-09-2017, 11:26 AM
Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Problem solved, gearshift illumination module

Hi Everyone,

I have some good news to share! Received a 2004 shift assembly from a parted XKR on eBay. First thing I did was replace the gearshift illumination module which for an 04 has numbers 2-5 on it corresponding with the 6 speed transmission. As soon as I put it in, it lit up, the sport mode lit up, and when I took the car for a spin the manual overdrive worked! It turns out that the retrofitted 5 speed gearshift illumination module must have not communicated properly with the linear switch and the sport button. I am so relieved to have found the solution and gotten the new Jag shifting properly! Bonus to all of this is that I received a new chrome surround with the sport button and an extra functioning linear switch with this assembly. I will be able to recoup most, if not all, of the cost of the assembly by selling the linear switch.

Thanks to all who have helped provide suggestions and helped me to think this one through! Happy motoring!

Corey

Old 11-09-2017, 03:56 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Happy days, glad you got a fix and even gladder it is a cheap one.

Happy motoring.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,556 Posts

Hi cs and thanks for the update.
We have enough gremlins to deal with without POs building wacky new ones in there.

Enjoy the extra shift!