XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

2003 XKR suspension sag

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 08:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 XKR suspension sag

My 2003 XKR convertible rides about 1.75 inches low at the front end. The rear is up to spec. Besides making correct caster/camber adjustment impossible, this also means that I am striking the road surface at pavement dips at speed. Bad for the oil cooler [now relocated higher] and now the plastic air flow /dam piece…
and the tires actually hit the inside of the wheel wells. ‘[Tires are correct size Conti, 245/45-18].

The car has 64000 miles on it. The shocks appear ok: no signs of leak, etc.
Jaguar dealer suggest replacing both front struts: shocks & springs. Clearly this would work but in my experience springs don’t sag after 64,000 miles of mainly superhighway travel.

Does anyone have an alternative suggestion? Hopefully cheaper than the estimated $2300 strut replacement cost.

Rider

Old 09-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Upper shock mounts here after same recommendation by dealer. Coils are fatigued, but n.ot dangerously so. There are a few threads in here with pics n instructions and parts.

Old 09-04-2010, 04:28 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I am finding it hard to believe that the springs are giving out. I got off the phone with another person that was told the same thing. I told him to look into the shock mounts first.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:38 PM
Received 107 Likes on 68 Posts

The top shock mount could be part of the cause, but I would seriously consider new springs. If the top shock mount is fully collapsed it would account for about 1" of height but it seems like you have more than that. It does sound pretty quick for springs especially with highway, unless there's alot of construction. Almost sounds like a busted spring and maybe they're just not seeing it.

Here's a few picts of the assembly if you're not sure what it looks like. In the second pict you can see how the old mount was compressed.

Lower shock bushings could be bad and maybe that's why they suggested both, but I wouldn't do shocks alone as that won't correct anything. The springs control your ride height along with the top shock mounts.

Hope this helps a bit, and good luck.

Attached Thumbnails 2003 XKR suspension sag-shockmnt-asm.jpg   2003 XKR suspension sag-step8-1.jpg   2003 XKR suspension sag-step8-3.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Typhoon320i (12-24-2014)
Old 09-07-2010, 11:01 AM
Veteran member

Dpez, you measure your front/rear ride height (center of wheel to fender) w/ your new mounts...I'll do the same. That'll give him an idea of what he can expect with just those changes.

I'm with gus, that's not enough miles, use, or time (its a 2003 after all) for those coils to fatigue that much. And, he mentioned its the entire front end, not just one side. Unless the rear end is jacked up considerably, he should be good.

That reminds me...you (or PO) didn't put larger diameter tires on the rear did you? What size are they?

Old 09-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 493 Likes on 215 Posts

If the rubber bushings on your upper A arms are shot, the camber will increase dramatically. This usually announces itself with a lot of suspension clanging; but it might not. Check out the bushings first.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for these suggestions. The rear tires are Conti's also, size 255/45-18. Bergen Jag says the rear car height is per spec but the front is 1.75 inches low. To be precise,
14" driver side and 14.25" passenger side. Specs call for 15.78 [showroom] & 15.74 [curb] measured from center of wheel tothe apex of the wheel arch throught the wheel center line. Curb measurement assumes all fluids full including full tank of gas vs showroom only 9 ltrs of gas.
There no noise that suggests (to me) that the shock mount is gone but it may be somewhat compressed and it wouldn't make up the difference without more.

I look forward to your thoughts/suggestions. Driving quickly is problematic as I really hate bottoming out the car on simply undulating paved roads. Forget entering/exiting steep driveways.

rider

Old 09-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't see how it can be anything other than the springs because they are what really establish the ride height. The shock mounts can't compress enough to give you 1.75" of sag. Anyone have any idea what the length of the spring from the top to bottom mounts is when the car is at rest? If we knew that, it'd be easy for rider to check that out.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:03 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

A half inch variance in ride height would be within Jaguar technical specs. You could easily pick up another 1.0-1.25 inches if the top shock mount is compressed and lower shock bushing excessively worn, not to mention other suspension components. I would have to agree that the spring itself would be last on the list given your mileage and highway driving as apposed to country roads or lots of city streets with potholes.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:15 PM
Veteran member

I gained 0.75" when I replaced my upper mounts and lower bushings. I had to go back to my previous thread to see what I documented.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:47 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by govatos
I don't see how it can be anything other than the springs because they are what really establish the ride height. The shock mounts can't compress enough to give you 1.75" of sag. Anyone have any idea what the length of the spring from the top to bottom mounts is when the car is at rest? If we knew that, it'd be easy for rider to check that out.
so at 175,000 miles replacing the shocks and springs would get rid of that lowered front end and top front in/bottom out tire look.

I have been neglecting it, but will address it before I put new tires on. My mechanic checked suspension bushings on the lift, but he is an indy and might have missed something particular to the car.

Thanks in advance

Old 11-14-2012, 09:37 PM
Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts

I just got done playing that same suspension "game" with my 97,000 mile 2004. All the bushings were fine, ball joints etc. I replaced the strut bushings and it made a significant difference. While there, I added 2 of the plastic spring seats in an attempt to regain a tad more height, and to save a couple of hard earned bucks. Then I installed the front camber bolts to correct the camber. All in all, I got the car within specs, but I believe that a set of new springs would have totally corrected my height. It is still a tad bit lower than normal.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2003 xkr SilverStone and mines haves 83000 miles just brought it two months again and I have the same problem the front of the car is on the ground about 1.75 inch the only answer the speed shop I shop at told me to replace the struts and springs. Because over time (like 10 years time)the front springs fatigue my 2003 xkr SilverStone states in the door that the GVWR 4815 and that's with no one in the car with me and my girl it's over 5000 pounds so that whole fatigue facter is true so keep that in mind it makes perfect since!

Old 12-23-2014, 07:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi guys, I know this is not a new post, but just recently got my 2003 xkr and I am learning the ropes, or springs. I too had the saggy spring problem up front. Mine were around 14.25 and 14.5. Not knowing any better I went to Auto Zone and got some twist in spring spreaders that I had used before. Just pull the wheel, raise the car to unweight everything, twist in the spreaders and spread the springs. Twist in the spreaders with the help of a 1/2 inch socket wrench, and ta da!! Go for a ride then check your height again. I brought my ride height up to 15.75 an 16. Easy peasy. They make rubber and metal, I like the metal. Works every time. BUT.... Am I too high now? I like the lowered look better, but I don't like buying new tires.

johns427 (12-23-2014)
Old 12-23-2014, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member

When you inserted the twists into the springs, you dramatically raise the spring rates by shortening the effective spring length. Too high? That's up to the individual, but if you're worried about camber and tire wear, buy symmetrical, non-directional tires that you can rotate to each of the four corners. With proper toe-in, front neg camber wear is not going to be a problem.

My ride height is close to yours before 'raising'. I've been running this type of tire set up for the last 30kmi. and with good shocks and proper alignment tire wear has not been an issue.

JackandJill (12-23-2014)
Old 12-23-2014, 11:27 PM

I have not noticed any change in ride quality when I inserted the twist ins, just higher ride height, and, I saved a ton of cash at Christmas! My main concern was getting the car up to spec so I now can take it back for a 4 wheel alignment. As others have found, you can't get the alignment without the correct ride height. My front tires are not the same size as the rears. I have rotated them side to side, off the rims, so I can get more mileage out of them. I like the low and lean look better. My wife does not notice the difference. I will have the 4 wheel alignment done next week. I will need 6mm shims in the rear, which I have, and I will see if I need eccentric bolts in front. I was able to get 2 of PN# JZB100086 from Terry's. I will have to get the longer bolts from the dealer. No one seems to carry them, nor have a part number. Do you?

Old 12-24-2014, 06:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JackandJill
...I will see if I need eccentric bolts in front. I was able to get 2 of PN# JZB100086 from Terry's. I will have to get the longer bolts from the dealer. No one seems to carry them, nor have a part number. Do you?
I wouldn't bother using the eccentric bolts. When you see the amount of offset provided by the eccentric, which is like a 1/16th inch, the overall reduction in negative camber can't even be a half degree... probably less than a quarter degree.

I ordered them thinking they would offer some degree of camber compensation; plus I already had the front end apart. But after installation, I saw no difference. I cannot understand why Jaguar even produced them?

Old 12-31-2014, 03:00 PM

Before I got the twist in spring spreaders, I went to a Jag dealer to have the alignment done. He could not do the alignment because the front end sat too low, about 14.25. He did say that he put the "TOE" in spec for me, and would do it again when the ride height was taken care of. Well, I have no intention of going back to him. I did use the spring spreaders, which got rid of the low front end. But.....how badly did I mess up the toe setting that the dealer just adjusted for me? By raising the front, did I throw my toe out again? Too much or too little? Can I check it at home, or am I stuck going to a shop? I guess I could go in next week, get my 6mm spacers installed in the rear, have the front toe checked, then laser zap the whole thing to adjust. I don't have an alignment rack, so that is one thing I take to my mechanic. Next, I will work on some seat motors. They are making a noise like they are trying, but nothing happens, like some gears are stripped. Happy Holidays!

Old 12-31-2014, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

my 03 is about 1 inch low in the front. My top strut mounts are toast, I can see the stuff that they are made of coming up through the top of the shock towers in the engine bay. The middle bolt up there is allow totally off center, both side that middle bolt is leaning the the outside sides of the tower if I recall correctly. I have some banging around also up there so I am sure I have a mess, just to what degree. That is up next for now that I have all other known issues fixed now.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:51 PM
Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

I installed the twist-in spacers after reading these posts and they raised the front exactly 1 inch to 15.25". Drove the car all day today and no more scraping of tires on wheel well liners and no more bottoming on drive entrances and exits. The ride is much better now, too.

Very happy. Thanks to all.