XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

2004 Jaguar XKR - HVAC door/flap servos and actuators

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2021, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts
Default 2004 Jaguar XKR - HVAC door/flap servos and actuators

This is a flood car. I've just gotten the hardware for the AC working and its blowing good cold air BUT, everywhere.

I hadn't really used the hvac in any real way till now...

I'm going to do whatever tests I can on the dash control unit this weekend. Pull it out, inspect, nd check for issues with the unit itself, the plug and see if I can take some voltage readings etc. I'm suspecting that the small servo motors may be toast...

The test I get 41, 42, 43, 45 and 46. They won't clear. My question is,,,,, drum role,,,,, are the servos all the same BUT/JUST mounted on different shaped brackets used to hold them to the HVAC framework behind the dash? I see tons online and there is not a lot that distinguishes one from the other shape wise... I hope that's the case. Looks like I'll have my work cut out for me.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.
She's running GREAT, BTW...

Last edited by JayJagJay; 09-01-2021 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-02-2021, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member

So, I've order 5 of these gizmos (40bucks) from a great Ebay store called "PLAYGROUND". They have tons of stuff for our cars. We'll see... Going to be a real dig,,, I'm sure. I bet some of them still have pond water inside.

Old 11-05-2021, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member
Default B1265

Hey, Good Morning

Finally got the courage to go digging into the dash and replace servo motors (one, maybe two left to go) that were damaged in the great flood of the 2004 XKR and I was wondering if folks could clear something up for me.

I've been searching for the b1265 code (43 on the code list as it appears on the document) and most only in the SType category was reading that at a certain point jaguar made changes to the cool air by pass set up that invalidate the b1265 code, yet it would still show up in the HVAC Climate control fault check. Anyone know anything about this? Is it also true for the XKs?

Anyways, it's not a fun job, but not terrible either. Worst part is space. As usual, removing things is always easier than putting them back together. Especially the little motors with the little screws, getting the plastic arms working with the metal arms of the servos, and such. Fiddly sunzahs,,,

​​​​​​​Also, in this case (water in the motors) what I found is that if I opened the little boxes up, hit them with a little goose grease, and spin them with a drill via the shaft, the free right up and are ready to go. I got a great deal on the motors, but didn't need replacements after all. Good stuff

Old 11-09-2021, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Default When the CATs away!

Almost replaced/repaired all the flap servos. Almost.
Air flow is finally direct-able.

All down, but one. Struggling with the 43code (cool air flaps) but I decided to button things up and just run with it. I never use my "AUTO" button for climate control so for now I'll just leave it - I know it will burn in the back O my mind tho. It WAY up on the LH climate control unit, near unreachable.

I wish I knew more about the inner INNER workings of the XKs climate system. The servo for the cool air flaps proved very difficult to reach with any kind of tool. The only option I could see that MIGHT work would be to drop the steering column,,, and maybe even go further than that. I decided early on I was NOT going to be pulling the dash. I know I'll go back for it.

Found some mice sign too for my troubles. Rewired all the damage in the turn signal stalk (didn't even know that it was there) after needing removing the wheel and inner ribbon winding to get to it properly,,, and kept it moving. I FEAR to think where else in this car, those rarely seen spots, it looks like this. When the CATs away, the mice WILL play - as they say. This CAT was away for a good long time. Back to life! It feels good.

Hard to see but at least 6-7 wires had rodent encounter.