XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

2004 XKR Mod Project

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 12:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag#4
...my vote would be for painting it black.

+1

Old 02-01-2014, 01:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

The diffuser is fine as is, but my vote would be for painting it black. Given the other black accents you have, I think it would set if off nicely without being too much.
+2

Old 02-01-2014, 02:16 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts
Default better pictures

Sun is out today so got some better shots.

Attached Thumbnails 2004 XKR Mod Project-xkr12.jpg   2004 XKR Mod Project-xkr13.jpg   2004 XKR Mod Project-xkr14.jpg   2004 XKR Mod Project-xkr15.jpg  
Old 02-01-2014, 06:07 PM
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

....They may be too much.

Amazing car, BTW.
That car passed the 'too much' marker a few mods back. I would have left off the JC Whitney rear spoiler but I like the wheels (minus the blue rim) and the interior treatment, generally. Not sure about lowering it so much - looks like something is broken.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 515 Likes on 333 Posts

And I get beat up for adding a leaper!! Lol.

As for the rear defuser, black. Definitely black!!

Old 02-01-2014, 08:28 PM
Default response

Originally Posted by BurgXK8
That car passed the 'too much' marker a few mods back. I would have left off the JC Whitney rear spoiler but I like the wheels (minus the blue rim) and the interior treatment, generally. Not sure about lowering it so much - looks like something is broken.

Standard lowering kit. The spoiler is from Zeemax, not cheap. Thanks I think.

For anyone else Zeemax makes an interesting body kit. They go a bit farther than anyone else.

Jagar XK8R Wide Body

Old 02-01-2014, 09:11 PM
Default Misc. Information

Had the car run though a non-reported smog test, the Nameless Cats passed.

Color changing Halo rings aren't worth the money.

If you put in a double din radio the armrest is the best place to put the bottom row of switches, if you a single din with a flip screen move the switches down or the screen hitting the gear shift will drive you nuts.

If you replace the radio go ahead and do the amps and speakers, the stock speakers have paper backs and they don't age well. The Alpine amps have an optical interface that apparently nothing works well with.

The Admamesh billet grill is too restrictive (the car is running a ton cooler now).

Silicon hoses look great but they are a bitch to keep sealed. (I'm currently using dye to try and locate the leak, I can smell the leak but it is so small I can't find it).

If you haven't replaced your fuel filter do that. Mine looked like it was full of mud. (40K car).

My best mod is the remote control top. Second best is the gauge kit, thanks Jag Wrangler!! Easiest was the antenna off switch.

biggest mistake was buying the Mercedes performance solenoids then realizing I had a ZF trans after I'd had it pulled apart.

The oil catch cans for the valve cover breathers won't work on the high pressure side of an XKR.

Cheapest way to improve the sound on an XK8/R is the rear muffler delete.

Modifying the intake on an XKR costs more time than the improvement is worth. On the other hand the small upper pulley, even on a 4.2, is worth it. Having said that, despite what folks think, the Mina intake actually didn't seem to make the air significantly hotter than the pain in the *** front fender intake mod.

Poly bushings tighten the car up nicely.

No one makes a decent roll bar for this car.

I get more comments on the carbon fiber top cover and hood graphic than any other mod. Kids go ape **** over the graphic, adults the top cover. Go figure.

Treat your seats regularly and they'll last forever.

That's it...

Old 02-01-2014, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member

Agreed the best mod for any convertile xk IS the auto top!! I'm planning on the gages too.
My brother is working on a roll bar for me as we speak!! He's a welder and were using some 2 1/2 x 4" square pipe. Sort of like the bond XKR look. It's going to attach to the sides of the back seats and follow the seat back to the floor tunnel. He says it will fit but I think we'll have to alter it so I can get seat all the way back. I hope to be able to wrap with my brushed titanium I used on fascia.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by enderle
Had the car run though a non-reported smog test, the Nameless Cats passed.

Color changing Halo rings aren't worth the money.

If you put in a double din radio the armrest is the best place to put the bottom row of switches, if you a single din with a flip screen move the switches down or the screen hitting the gear shift will drive you nuts.

If you replace the radio go ahead and do the amps and speakers, the stock speakers have paper backs and they don't age well. The Alpine amps have an optical interface that apparently nothing works well with.

The Admamesh billet grill is too restrictive (the car is running a ton cooler now).

Silicon hoses look great but they are a bitch to keep sealed. (I'm currently using dye to try and locate the leak, I can smell the leak but it is so small I can't find it).

If you haven't replaced your fuel filter do that. Mine looked like it was full of mud. (40K car).

My best mod is the remote control top. Second best is the gauge kit, thanks Jag Wrangler!! Easiest was the antenna off switch.

biggest mistake was buying the Mercedes performance solenoids then realizing I had a ZF trans after I'd had it pulled apart.

The oil catch cans for the valve cover breathers won't work on the high pressure side of an XKR.

Cheapest way to improve the sound on an XK8/R is the rear muffler delete.

Modifying the intake on an XKR costs more time than the improvement is worth. On the other hand the small upper pulley, even on a 4.2, is worth it. Having said that, despite what folks think, the Mina intake actually didn't seem to make the air significantly hotter than the pain in the *** front fender intake mod.

Poly bushings tighten the car up nicely.

No one makes a decent roll bar for this car.

I get more comments on the carbon fiber top cover and hood graphic than any other mod. Kids go ape **** over the graphic, adults the top cover. Go figure.

Treat your seats regularly and they'll last forever.

That's it...

Here is the roll bar I installed in my car. If you are interested I can provide all the details. Would you please explain more about the oil catch can?

Attached Thumbnails 2004 XKR Mod Project-008-4.jpg   2004 XKR Mod Project-006-3.jpg   2004 XKR Mod Project-002-2.jpg  
Old 02-02-2014, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,108 Likes on 764 Posts

Agree, I am not understanding that either.

On the full load side you would need to use a catch can without a check valve so it can allow make up air for what is sucked through the part load breather.

That said, 99.9% of the oil mist goes through the part load breather path, so it is hardly worth the trouble to put a can on the full load side.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:25 AM
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ccfulton
Agree, I am not understanding that either.

On the full load side you would need to use a catch can without a check valve so it can allow make up air for what is sucked through the part load breather.

That said, 99.9% of the oil mist goes through the part load breather path, so it is hardly worth the trouble to put a can on the full load side.
I had an old Chevy Impala where I used valve cover breathers (little filter looking things) in place of the smog hoses. All it ever did was seep a trickle of oil down the side of the valve cover. Then again, I got 'em from JC Whitney...

Old 02-02-2014, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  7.1 KBI'm trying to design a roll bar that doesn't require rear seat delete. And something with a "look"

Old 02-02-2014, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by philhef
Attachment 71080I'm trying to design a roll bar that doesn't require rear seat delete. And something with a "look"
What is a "look" ? I have to say with the top down & the hard boot on the car has a real look.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

You might be able to create a "look" but you will struggle making it functional, what JgaXkr has done is a fully working roll bar and still able to raise the roof, the James Bond car had no roof and no rear seat so gave a lot more opotunities, the rear seat is a waste of time anyway so why keep it?

Old 02-02-2014, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
Would you please explain more about the oil catch can?

There was a thread on using in-line catch cans on an xK8 so picked up a couple. My intake was clean and wanted to keep it that way. The idea is to collect the oil before it goes into the throttle body. The high pressure side has a huge hose and the catch can didn't fit, there was also some doubt that if it could be modified to fit that it would work. So bought two installed one.

Can't seem to find the thread now.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:37 PM
Default rear seat gone

Originally Posted by XKRacer
You might be able to create a "look" but you will struggle making it functional, what JgaXkr has done is a fully working roll bar and still able to raise the roof, the James Bond car had no roof and no rear seat so gave a lot more opotunities, the rear seat is a waste of time anyway so why keep it?

My rear seat is now two large reverse magnet subs. Now the seat back looks a little out of place. Trying to think of something interesting to do with it.

Old 02-02-2014, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member

There was a thread on using in-line catch cans on an xK8 so picked up a couple. My intake was clean and wanted to keep it that way. The idea is to collect the oil before it goes into the throttle body. The high pressure side has a huge hose and the catch can didn't fit, there was also some doubt that if it could be modified to fit that it would work. So bought two installed one.

Can't seem to find the thread now.
My car has the 4.0 liter heads so I am able to go from the cam cover to the tank & then back to the intake pipe. The part load breather pipe goes from the cam cover to the throttle & also to the canister. I run the part load breather to the inlet of the tank, one outlet goes to the throttle elbow & the other goes to the canister.

Elite Engineering's 2nd Generation Catch Can - E2 - Elite Engineering

The following users liked this post:
enderle (02-02-2014)
Old 02-02-2014, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Who makes that rear spoiler? Do you have a source?

Thanks in advance.

George

Old 02-02-2014, 11:35 PM
Default Zeemax

Originally Posted by androulakis
Who makes that rear spoiler? Do you have a source?

Thanks in advance.

George
This is the link to Zeemax: Jaguar XK8R Standard Width

Old 03-16-2014, 04:12 PM
Default New Exhaust Tips

Changed out the exhaust tips and cleaned up the front grill a bit. It was a nice day so took a few update shots. Goes in in a couple of weeks for the side skirts to match the new rear bumper.

Attached Thumbnails 2004 XKR Mod Project-wp_20140316_11_08_24_pro.jpg   2004 XKR Mod Project-wp_20140316_11_08_34_pro.jpg   2004 XKR Mod Project-wp_20140316_11_08_47_pro.jpg   2004 XKR Mod Project-wp_20140316_11_09_07_pro.jpg   2004 XKR Mod Project-wp_20140316_11_09_26_pro.jpg  

2004 XKR Mod Project-thundercats-0113.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2004 XKR Mod Project