XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

2005 white XK8: Paint or No Paint?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2005 white XK8: Paint or No Paint?

I just bought this '05 XK8, 64K miles, Houston. Wanted a British Racing Green version but couldn't find one that met my criteria anywhere near me. If I had it repainted in BRG am I hurting/helping/neutral it's potential resale value which could be never?

Old Yesterday, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,353 Likes on 748 Posts

Your car and if that makes you happy then BRG it is.
As for value, lots of owners paint the cars for themselves and the car will be worth more to you in the long run. Give you a chance to get rid of any dents, replace bad light fixtures, and rubber parts. Be sure and get inside the doors, trunk lid and bonnet. Pulling the motor can be very expensive for that little bit showing, so a spray can of the same color with each piece removed and sprayed when you get to it. Not something you would pay someone else to do, could be as much as the cost of the car.

Old Yesterday, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,440 Likes on 771 Posts

I don't think you need to worry much as these cars have almost no resale value.

The following 2 users liked this post by giandanielxk8:
cjd777 (Yesterday), Theo14 (Today)
Old Yesterday, 07:38 PM
Received 4,307 Likes on 3,723 Posts

could always get it wrapped BRG if you are worried about it, then remove it later

The following 2 users liked this post by sklimii:
cjd777 (Yesterday), RJ237 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,813 Likes on 2,243 Posts

The cost of a proper paint job would be several times the value of the car. Go with the wrap.

The following users liked this post:
cjd777 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,118 Likes on 702 Posts

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8
I don't think you need to worry much as these cars have almost no resale value.
I'm sure he's talking about when its as old as a Series 1 E-type. People repaint those all the time and change them to more popular colors. They tend to choose original colors, though. What will negatively impact the value is to do a lousy job on the paint or choose a relatively unpopular "custom" color like pepto-bismol pink. Unfortunately at today's shop rates, to do a halfway decent job here in Texas, you're probably going to spend more to change the color than you paid for the car to begin with.

While its still car show season, I suggest to attend a few shows and cruise nights and every time you see a paint job that you like, ask the owner "Would you tell me who painted your car and if you don't mind sharing, how much did it cost?" The first few will likely tell you shocking prices but as you ask more owners, you'll eventually learn to judge quality levels and run across somebody who will do an acceptable job at a reasonable rate. Also, note the language "who" not "where". I learned the hard way 30 years ago that the quality is largely determined by the guy who holds the paint gun in his hand. Its his skill at adjusting and moving the gun, maintaining correct orientation and overlap. Plus he can veto the prep work and send it back out of the booth if its not perfect. If he leaves for greener pastures, he takes the shop's reputation with him. When you visit for an estimate, be sure to meet the painter and mention the car you saw at the show so he will know what level of quality you are expecting. You can also save a bundle if you can DIY removal and reinstallation of all the lights, trim, weatherstrip, etc. Good luck.

The following 4 users liked this post by pdupler:
cjd777 (Yesterday), michaelh (Today), ozbot (Yesterday), sklimii (Yesterday)
Old Today, 08:57 AM
Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't make a rush decision though. I understand the BRG attraction, but the white looks quite smart as well.

Old Today, 09:44 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cjd777
Your car and if that makes you happy then BRG it is.
As for value, lots of owners paint the cars for themselves and the car will be worth more to you in the long run. Give you a chance to get rid of any dents, replace bad light fixtures, and rubber parts. Be sure and get inside the doors, trunk lid and bonnet. Pulling the motor can be very expensive for that little bit showing, so a spray can of the same color with each piece removed and sprayed when you get to it. Not something you would pay someone else to do, could be as much as the cost of the car.
you bought it to flip it??

Old Today, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 734 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by XJSHouston
I just bought this '05 XK8, 64K miles, Houston. Wanted a British Racing Green version but couldn't find one that met my criteria anywhere near me. If I had it repainted in BRG am I hurting/helping/neutral it's potential resale value which could be never?

well, you have the twin to my 2005 white xk8, except yours is on the road and mine is up on jack stands.
I love the overall appearance of this body style in white. If you have it painted properly the cost will properly shock you, the time required might surprise you.
If BRG is your color I suggest you drive and enjoy what you currently have and keep an eye out for that BRG one you must have, and then pounce when you find it.
wj

Last edited by wymjym; Today at 09:56 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by wymjym:
sklimii (Today), XJSHouston (Today)
Old Today, 10:12 AM
Received 83 Likes on 64 Posts

I was quoted around $16,000 last year to respray my 09 XJ. Not even a color change. You can drive the car you have until you find the green one you want, buy it and probably save money. Wrap is nearly as expensive. The car looks great as it is. I'd leave it alone and keep looking if it's still not what you want.

XJSHouston (Today)
Old Today, 01:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonville
you bought it to flip it??
No. just thinking some day I’ll sell it. Or maybe not. Main thing is that I love brg but I recognize that altering original color is taboo in some circles. Not that concerned now after seeing some responses.

cjd777 (Today)
Old Today, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,370 Likes on 2,858 Posts

Find a BRG one that you can live with, then sell your white one. Your bank account will be very grateful to you if you do so....

XJSHouston (Today)
Old Today, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,440 Likes on 771 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2fly
I was quoted around $16,000 last year to respray my 09 XJ. Not even a color change. You can drive the car you have until you find the green one you want, buy it and probably save money. Wrap is nearly as expensive. The car looks great as it is. I'd leave it alone and keep looking if it's still not what you want.

Is that because of bodywork on alluminum panels or is that damn near a top quality almost restoration paintjob?