XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

The 2005 XKR Fuel-Pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 919 Likes on 654 Posts
Thumbs down The 2005 XKR Fuel-Pump

To my 4.2 Brothers,

Yesterday, on my way to work....The Coupe quit running again!......Today, I'm told that my fifth Fuel-Pump has "bit-the-dust" and that because it is 2 Days over "a year old" period, it is no longer guaranteed!! Therefore, according to my Mechanic, it has to be replaced and the Pump cost around $800.00 Bucks plus installation….over $1,000.00....

My question is: How many of you driving a 4.2 (2003 - 2006) XKR, have had a Fuel-Pump problem and if so, was it guaranteed? or have you had more than (1) problem like me? Jaguar gave me my 4th Pump as it was only 2 months old! I have had to buy the others and "Personally", I think it stinks...…….!

Do you have a "Fuel Pump" story of me? I would love to have it to send to Jaguar....Although, I know it won't do any good! Maybe it will make me feel better...….

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 10-31-2019, 01:23 PM
Received 224 Likes on 116 Posts

That's a lot of fuel pumps. How long do you wait to get gas? Do you fill up, say, once it hits a quarter full?

Old 10-31-2019, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,519 Likes on 1,064 Posts

When did the actual 1 year warranty start? I would take a hard look at the vendor policy. Buy time, ship time, or reception time by you? Maybe even install time if you are lucky. Could make a difference if you can provide documentation.

You mentioned mods before, would any of those push the demand for more fuel over some kind of limit? Anything pushing more air alone likely would, but if you are pushing fuel too (nitrus?), then maybe not. Higher manifold pressure would also push the pump. Might be a good time to somehow investigate how those pumps are failing (wiring, connectors, relief valve), or do the work of finding a suitable after-market replacement. We can't be the only car with a return-less system out there.

Problems on our aging cars that leave us stranded are just so much more aggravating, regardless of cost. I feel your pain. Best of luck.

Old 10-31-2019, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,453 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by fmertz
When did the actual 1 year warranty start? I would take a hard look at the vendor policy. Buy time, ship time, or reception time by you? Maybe even install time if you are lucky. Could make a difference if you can provide documentation.

You mentioned mods before, would any of those push the demand for more fuel over some kind of limit? Anything pushing more air alone likely would, but if you are pushing fuel too (nitrus?), then maybe not. Higher manifold pressure would also push the pump. Might be a good time to somehow investigate how those pumps are failing (wiring, connectors, relief valve), or do the work of finding a suitable after-market replacement. We can't be the only car with a return-less system out there.

Problems on our aging cars that leave us stranded are just so much more aggravating, regardless of cost. I feel your pain. Best of luck.

If he finds a suitable aftermarket replacement I would love to know about it. My car has spent the entire week parked because of, presumably, the fuel pump.

Old 10-31-2019, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,108 Likes on 764 Posts

I have had the "slow start" problem but never an outright failure of a pump. With 95k miles and a twin screw installed, capacity wise, I think the pump is fine.

Having so many replacements is strange, especially if you are using OEM parts. Fuel pumps are pretty uncomplicated things and are all more or less the same.

I HAVE had a problem with the connector powering the fuel pump though. A recurring problem where I will lose fuel pressure and the car will stumble and die while driving (quite irritating). Sometimes it will restart right away, sometimes it won't.

What I found is that if I unplug and plug the power connector a few times it will fire right up. Then some indeterminate time later it will happen again.

It was very sporadic but I was finally able to make it happen by wiggling the power wires going into the connector 1 at a time while the car was idling. I cleaned the contacts once but it came back about a year later.

My final solution was to clip the wires on either side of the connector and splice them together, bypassing the connector entirely.

I would suggest at least checking for this, and for once it is easy to get at. Just pull down the front part of the trunk liner so you can see the gas tank. On the upper right hand side is a white connector. That was the culprit in my case. It is clipped to the tank but you can slide it off its mount to the right and get better access. If you follow the wiring around to the right hand side you will also come to the pump driver module. The pump power wires are larger wires in the connector, Red and Yellow with a Red Stripe.

Given the number of failures you've had, I'm be more suspicious of the wiring or the pump driver than the pump itself.

The following 4 users liked this post by ccfulton:
bcprice36 (11-08-2019), fmertz (11-01-2019), michaelh (10-31-2019), RJ237 (11-01-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
Default FMertz!!

Originally Posted by fmertz

Thanks for answering,
My Machanic has finally gotten the "Guarantee" straighten out, which is a big surprise to me. Jaguar treats people with X-100's as though we don't exist....One of the Jag Dealers here in Houston will not allow anything older than an 2007 in his Shop.. I guess my Guy has a bit more pull than I gave him credit for! Happy about that ($830.00 Worth) in this case...He has a friend in Parts, thank Heaven!

Billy Clyde

The following users liked this post:
motorcarman (11-03-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member
Smile Mr. Sandwich!

Originally Posted by EnjoyEverySandwich
That's a lot of fuel pumps. How long do you wait to get gas? Do you fill up, say, once it hits a quarter full?
My Wife is my Maintenance Man....! She fills it every Saturday Morning before Washing it! But when it won't run...."it's his Car" then! I'm sure you know what I mean !

Billy Clyde

EnjoyEverySandwich (11-01-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ccfulton
I have had the "slow start" problem but never an outright failure of a pump. With 95k miles and a twin screw installed, capacity wise, I think the pump is fine.

Having so many replacements is strange, especially if you are using OEM parts. Fuel pumps are pretty uncomplicated things and are all more or less the same.

I HAVE had a problem with the connector powering the fuel pump though. A recurring problem where I will lose fuel pressure and the car will stumble and die while driving (quite irritating). Sometimes it will restart right away, sometimes it won't.

What I found is that if I unplug and plug the power connector a few times it will fire right up. Then some indeterminate time later it will happen again.

It was very sporadic but I was finally able to make it happen by wiggling the power wires going into the connector 1 at a time while the car was idling. I cleaned the contacts once but it came back about a year later.

My final solution was to clip the wires on either side of the connector and splice them together, bypassing the connector entirely.

I would suggest at least checking for this, and for once it is easy to get at. Just pull down the front part of the trunk liner so you can see the gas tank. On the upper right hand side is a white connector. That was the culprit in my case. It is clipped to the tank but you can slide it off its mount to the right and get better access. If you follow the wiring around to the right hand side you will also come to the pump driver module. The pump power wires are larger wires in the connector, Red and Yellow with a Red Stripe.

Given the number of failures you've had, I'm be more suspicious of the wiring or the pump driver than the pump itself.

I will be so stoked if this would solve my problem.

Old 10-31-2019, 11:21 PM
Veteran Member
Lightbulb

Charlie,
Thanks for your reply as I have had the "Slow to Start" problem until this last Summer, during May through about August several things occurred. First I had to replace the Purge Valve...and then the Fuel Pump driver modul,:I did it myself and it almost killed me as it had been along time since I had worked on the Car. I'm getting old and this showed me...The Car continued dying mostly when the Tank was at 3/4 and above. Finally, they replaced the Ring on top of the Tank and that fixed the Problem...until Tuesday...when it died at 55PH....waited 5 minutes and it started up and ran for about a mile and died again, so I called the wrecker guy.....and the Machinic checked it out and said the Pump was gone......I will tell him about the electrical contacts and how you repaired them. so they can do the same to mine....whether they need it or not...No use not using good information and putting it to use.....Thanks! I think that Jaguar bought into a bunch of sorry Pumps when they changed over from the 4.0 to the 4.2 Engines during the 2003 switcharoo! My XKR a 2005 was actually built in 2/2004, so it was one of the first 2005's.....I will have the Guy's redo the wiring as you did along with the New Pump, with hopes that the new one was built better.....For $800.00 Bucks, you would think it should be made of Gold...……..

I have redone the soldering job on the Taillight traces as per the instructions and it solved the Blinker problem but the Brake Light still turns on the warning light, so I'm good until I hit the Brakes....Don't know what to do there as you sent me the info about Resistors in Parallel...Seems that I need 1 or 2 more resistors but the way I see it...…It won't help..... Any ideas?

Billy Clyde

Old 11-01-2019, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member

Charlie,
My Guy just called! He did the things you mentioned and the Car is running like a TOP! You have solved this problem for me and I am thrilled to no end.....I know you were happy when you found the problem but Charlie, I am so happy I don't know what to do with myself.....This one was the last straw...I was going to dump the darn thing! I am excited! You have saved me $800.00 or so Dollars!!!!

Now our Friend in Puerto Rico can try it and hopefully he will be happy too!

Thank you!

Billy Clyde

The following 2 users liked this post by bcprice36:
ccfulton (11-01-2019), EnjoyEverySandwich (11-01-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bcprice36
Charlie,
My Guy just called! He did the things you mentioned and the Car is running like a TOP! You have solved this problem for me and I am thrilled to no end.....I know you were happy when you found the problem but Charlie, I am so happy I don't know what to do with myself.....This one was the last straw...I was going to dump the darn thing! I am excited! You have saved me $800.00 or so Dollars!!!!

Now our Friend in Puerto Rico can try it and hopefully he will be happy too!

Thank you!

Billy Clyde
Great to hear this worked out for you. I will give it a try tomorrow.

Old 11-01-2019, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,108 Likes on 764 Posts

Glad to hear it worked out!

Old 11-03-2019, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member
Default Thanks to everyone who entered into this Thread!

Originally Posted by ccfulton

Glad to hear it worked out!

I wanted to send a big "Thank you!" to everyone that entered into this Thread! It has been close to 2 years since I found "Jaguar Forums" one night and signed in for the first time! I have learned a great deal about my XKR and have received a great deal of Help from Guys on both sides of the Atlantic, England/Europe and the USA,,,,,I really appreciate everyone telling us how they did something to make their XK8/XKR better....As FMertz says, "Our XK8/XKR's are all getting older and things are happening to them that we are not familiar with!" and we need to know what those things are and what you have done to correct them.....

Please continue helping us all out by answering all the questions that you can!

Billy Clyde

DavidYau (11-08-2019)