Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,214 Likes on 1,703 Posts
The following users liked this post:
m2zoo4u (04-11-2023)
Old 07-27-2020, 12:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dear gus
seem to have exhausted all advice my partner pressed roof button while I was listening in boot yes there is chime front windows come down no movement front catch definitely hear noise pump no movement from roof (potluck closed)

Old 07-27-2020, 03:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,419 Likes on 755 Posts

Christopher,

Don't give up! I understand your frustration, and I too had problems with the convertible top system.

I've noticed a few things so far from your info in this thread to date. I think the overhead latch is primarily giving you problems. Let's address this first. You said that you managed to get the latch manually open using the allen key in the hole. The latch may be a little stiff opening on the initial turn of the allen key , with the pump petcock open, but then it should subsequently open/close freely. If it's still extremely stiff, there's an issue. Confirm this first.

As for the hard reset, you have to do it when the system is fully closed ie convertible top closed, latch secured down, rear quarter windows up, doors shut. Otherwise the car BPM will be confused.

Then you need to check post#2 by avern1 for the electrical relays that control the tops. Lots of Youtube videos on how to test relays, and not too hard to do DIY. There's also the 40A fuse in the same trunk box that you can check when you're in there.

Keep at it, and I'm sure we can get to the bottom of what's wrong.

The following 2 users liked this post by DavidYau:
Christopher Mayers (07-27-2020), m2zoo4u (04-11-2023)
Old 07-27-2020, 07:09 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Okay! If the pump is running then the fuse and relay to the pump is working now to the reason why you have no movement of the roof and latch. I need you to make a few checks to see what is going on. Do you have a volt meter and can you use it? If not find someone who can.

The pump unit has six functions forward and reverse operation, latch open / close and roof lift open / close. All are controlled by the switches in the header and the right lift switches and relays.

On the pump you have a feed to the pump that will dictate a forward / reverse operation depending on the header and ram switches. You also have two solenoids on the top of the pump one for the latch and one for the lift and all depend on the switch position of the switches in the header and all controlled by the security module.

Link of the pump http://www.jagrepair.com/XK8RoofTrou...ting/imgF1.jpg

The first thing I want you to check is the light plugs for the header light. You have two plugs that are identical. The header light should be plugged into the plug on the right and the header plug should be plugged into the plug on the left.

Link to roof header plug http://www.jagrepair.com/XK8OperationalTestBox/imgE.jpg

If that is okay then you need to check the switch in the middle of the header to see if it is operating freely. That switch tells the computer that the roof is free from the header and ready to open / close the roof. Now you need to know that other switches in the roof header have a similar function but at this point I want to focus on what has been a problem in the past with others.

Link to header switch http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...tchRepair3.jpg

Now that has been checked we need to check the pump solenoids for the roof and latch operation and you will need a volt meter or two to check this. Now I must first warn you removing, pulling and tugging on the plugs to the solenoids could cause damage and you will hate me and then yourself if they become broken. All I want to do is see if when operating the roof button you have power to the solenoids. To do this all you need to do is tap into the plug with a pin to make contact with the connector then use your volt meter to the pins. On your car you have a plug on the side of the pump rack that goes to the solenoids that you can tap into easily and is the best option.

Link to roof solenoids open and close

It is my belief that the pump is receiving power to run and is running but if the solenoids are not functioning to allow fluid to flow the roof and latch they are not going to move.

Without having my hands on it makes it hard to troubleshoot properly.

The following 2 users liked this post by Gus:
Christopher Mayers (07-28-2020), m2zoo4u (04-11-2023)
Old 08-01-2020, 08:11 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Old 08-02-2020, 01:56 AM

Dear gus
thank you for reply a friend coming next week with amp meter to test all relays I still think its roof latch as message has come on dash latch no closed correctly

Old 08-04-2020, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Gus
dear gus
All fixed a friend came around with very good amp meter no power to motor changed 40 amp fuse all working he thinks fuse was blown by front catch being very stiff.
so changing fluid and cleaning and oiled catch all helped again thank you for your help😎

The following 2 users liked this post by Christopher Mayers:
DavidYau (08-04-2020), m2zoo4u (04-11-2023)
Old 08-04-2020, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,419 Likes on 755 Posts
Default Another convertible roof saga resolved

Christopher,

Thanks for letting us know about your positive result. We all have our “Saga” headaches, and yours seem to be eventually tracked down to a sticky latch and blown fuse.

Well done on the fix and happy motoring.

The following 2 users liked this post by DavidYau:
Christopher Mayers (08-05-2020), m2zoo4u (04-11-2023)