Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 XKR or 2007 AM Vantage - please help me decide

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 05:56 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Default 2009 XKR or 2007 AM Vantage - please help me decide

OK, so I know this is a Jag forum, but I am really finding it difficult to decide whether to go for a newer (X150) XKR or an AM Vantage. Any input would be much appreciated

V8 Vantage: coolest brand in the galaxy and my 'dream car', but more expensive and only two seats

XKR: the rational choice; cheaper to buy, insure, maintain, 4 seats (well, almost), a lot more power (510 v 380) and I get to stay on this forum (AM forums are rubbish by comparison)

I have driven both and they're pretty similar...

What should I do?

Old 12-03-2012, 06:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 761 Posts

You can with relative ease get even more power from the XKR, and that extra power (at least for me) makes it more fun, maybe something to consider as well.

Both cars aren't sensible to me when it comes to cost imho, so if you are already willing/able to spent, then I would go for the car that gets you excited the most, the one where you would be looking for an excuse to drive, that will be money well spent.

The following users liked this post:
Frog (12-05-2012)
Old 12-03-2012, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 764 Posts

Have to agree with Avos, when it comes to power, way too much is just enough.

Joking aside, my $0.02 is: if you've always dreamt of an AM then you should get one, if only once, just to satisfy your curiosity. It may be rubbish and the worst ownership experience of your life, but if you don't do it, then you will always think wistfully of the one that got away.

My prediction would be that coming from a forced induction XK the Vantage will be a little too hash and you will have to work harder than you like to go fast.

If you do decide to make the leap, we'll be here when you come back.

Frog (12-05-2012)
Old 12-03-2012, 08:34 AM
JSC
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I would go for the AM without thinking about it - even if it more expensive and only two seats.

You have answered your own question. "coolest brand in the galaxy and my 'dream car.'" I would not consider the XKR a 'rational choice;' Toyota Camry and Honda Accord are rational choices. (Both good cars, but they are not for me..)

Let your heart make the choice. That is one you will enjoy most. Think about it, how will you feel if you stop at a light, and the other car stops next to you? In which one would you rather be?

Frog (12-05-2012)
Old 12-03-2012, 09:30 AM
Veteran member

Many thanks for your unbiased input so far, much appreciated

I particularly liked these comments:

Originally Posted by ccfulton
when it comes to power, way too much is just enough.
Originally Posted by JSC
Think about it, how will you feel if you stop at a light, and the other car stops next to you? In which one would you rather be?
Good point. Trouble is, I'm not sure what the answer is...

Old 12-03-2012, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

you know, this is a really tough decision. I really dont know which I would chose.

I feel like AM should be for people who 1) dont care too much for speed and power...but appreciate the beauty...and 2) already have super cars in their garage.

however, i wouldnt for a second think of the XK as having more than 2 seats. those backseats are useless and only there to lower your insurance premium

just get the AM and enjoy it

Frog (12-05-2012)
Old 12-03-2012, 09:58 AM
Veteran member

^Agreed. The 5.0 XKR has way more power and an even better exhaust note but the Aston is just so pretty I would probably enjoy just staring at it in the garage as much as I would driving it. I know the rear seats are next to useless in the Jag, but on a couple of rare occasions, it has been useful being able to shoehorn one of our kids in there for a few miles in my current XKR. The Aston has a kind of shelf behind the rear seats, but no belt, so impossible to get anyone in there.

Last edited by Frog; 12-03-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts

Frog,

You've been dreaming of an Aston for a while now. I think you need to listen to that dream and get it out of your system. You'll be madly in love with it at first, and then that love will either last...or it won't. If it doesn't, you can sell the Aston and the XKRs will still be out there for you...and at a lower acquisition cost.

Sure, there's a risk of additional expense, and less support (no JagForum). So what? This is not a lifelong decision you're making here. So go with your dream! At least for now.

And don't worry about the back seat. Two seats is enough for 98% of your time in the car, most likely...don't ignore your dream car for the 2% of the time it would be helpful to have a back seat.

Just my two cents.

Frog (12-05-2012)
Old 12-03-2012, 10:36 AM
Received 141 Likes on 125 Posts

My thoughts go like this.....if you've always wanted the AM, the go for it. You've had the pleasure of Jaguar ownership, so why not try the Aston? You can always go back to Jaguar in the future if it doesn't work out. The difference in depreciation will only make the Jag cheaper (relatively) in the future compared to the AM, so you really don't have much to lose. And. you can always pop in and see how the rest of us are doing, and share your AM experience.

Frog (12-05-2012)
Old 12-03-2012, 10:57 AM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Frog
^Agreed. The 5.0 XKR has way more power and an even better exhaust note but the Aston is just so pretty I would probably enjoy just staring at it in the garage as much as I would driving it. I know the rear seats are next to useless in the Jag, but on a couple of rare occasions, it has been useful being able to shoehorn one of our kids in there for a few miles in my current XKR. The Aston has a kind of shelf behind the rear seats, but no belt, so impossible to get anyone in there.
If you can afford it - ever consider trying the AM then trade it in for a Jag - if you end up not liking the AM. It's pretty to look at, and perhaps marvelous to be seen in one - since an Aston has a way of making everything else look pedestrian.

Had I be given the choice, I would still go with the Jag. My mechanic (which runs a world-class Jag restoration shop) have some stories about the shop owner's V8 Vantage maintenance cost, and it ain't pretty. If his stories are true, I would not be able to sustain an AM ownership at the moment.

Frog (12-05-2012)
Old 12-03-2012, 11:39 AM
Veteran member

Thanks again for your thoughts. I have just had a phone conversation with a sports car dealer in Kent who has both V8 Vantages and XKRs for sale. After listening to my ramblings for a few minutes he said I should go for the XKR, basically for the reasons I have outlined above. He said the XKR is a car you can use every day if you want to, whereas the AM is only good for getting out on special occasions. I might try and make the trip across the Channel later in the week and check this car they have just taken in. 2010, 18000 miles, $59K.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

never buy a car with your head, always buy it with your heart.

the kicker with this one is you're going to always question yourself "what if i got the other one" with which ever one you choose. However either one is a good choice.

with that being said, go get the AM

just curious....how much is the AM?

Frog (12-05-2012)
Old 12-03-2012, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 323 Posts

OK, so I know this is a Jag forum, but I am really finding it difficult to decide whether to go for a newer (X150) XKR or an AM Vantage. Any input would be much appreciated

V8 Vantage: coolest brand in the galaxy and my 'dream car', but more expensive and only two seats

XKR: the rational choice; cheaper to buy, insure, maintain, 4 seats (well, almost), a lot more power (510 v 380) and I get to stay on this forum (AM forums are rubbish by comparison)

I have driven both and they're pretty similar...

What should I do?
To paraphrase Jeremy Clarkson, you want the one with more POWWWERRRR!!!

Frog (12-05-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 06:17 AM
Veteran member

Thanks again to everyone for your help, much appreciated. All things considered, I think I will go for the XKR. Now I just have to find the right one

Incidentally, the V8 Vantage was up for the same price as the XKR. It was three years older mind...

Old 12-04-2012, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

I don't think much of the Vantage. Get your XKR in the UK and grin and bear the €1500 odd it will cost to get French plates - it will still be incredibly much cheaper than over here.
But why change your really beautiful XKR for a less pretty later model ?

Frog (12-05-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

He said the XKR is a car you can use every day if you want to, whereas the AM is only good for getting out on special occasions.
I wouldn't let that change your mind. The AM would be great for daily driving... if that's what you really really want.

And that's a silly cheap price right there... if that's what you want, that's definitely a sweet price.

2010, 18000 miles, $59K.

Frog (12-05-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 11:11 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by steveinfrance
But why change your really beautiful XKR for a less pretty later model ?
I agree the X150 isn't as pretty as our X100s, but it's newer and therefore more reliable (I'm looking at 2010 models with 20K miles or less) and the 2009+ models get 510hp Also, having driven a 2013 model, the exhaust sound is completely intoxicating. Cars like this will be banned within a decade or so and we'll all be forced to drive Nissan Leafs and such, so I want to make a noise while I still can!

Originally Posted by xenophobe
if that's what you want, that's definitely a sweet price.
2 or 3 year-old X150s are incredible bargains at the moment, whereas AMs seem to hold their value much more.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

The X150s are technical marvels but they look like every other car on the road. Our X100s look like Jaguars. That's the reason I bought it and why I'll drive it until it or I give up the ghost.

The newer Aston Martins still look like Aston Martins. If you can afford it, I'd go with the AM or another X100.

Mark

Frog (12-05-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 12:39 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by mjlaris
The X150s are technical marvels but they look like every other car on the road.
You're right - the dash in particular looks very ordinary. Dare I say, even Asian...

Damn, now you've got me reconsidering the Aston

Old 12-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,356 Likes on 2,849 Posts

Frog,

The desire to own and experience an Aston Martin will continue to eat away at you if you don't go ahead and scratch that itch. And as you said, it will definitely hold its value longer than an XKR. I think you'll suffer from buyer's remorse if you don't pull the Aston Martin trigger this time....

My brother-in-law purchased a pre-owned 2009 Vantage about 18 months ago and loves it. He also owns a 1986 Ferrari 328 GT that he purchased new more than 26 years ago and still has less than 25,000 miles on it. He says that he enjoys the Aston Martin much more than the Ferrari (his daily driver is a 2011 BMW 7-series)....

Frog (12-05-2012)

Quick Reply: 2009 XKR or 2007 AM Vantage - please help me decide