XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

3 hours: failed antenna replacement stupid idiot

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 03:27 PM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Angry 3 hours: failed antenna replacement stupid idiot

OK, so I went through all the info and FAQs on how to replace a silly snapped antenna. In retrospect, it all looked suspiciously easy and I should have known better. Bolt off, no plastic cable... darn. Motor out, cable bit retrieved all reassembled.

Radio on, no sign of motor movement.

Radio off, the cable retracts one inch, and that's it.

3 hours into an antenna replacement job want to cry...

Old 02-28-2017, 05:59 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Do you have the teeth of the cable in the right direction?

Link http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa...0install-1.pdf

The following users liked this post:
jafari (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 01:26 AM

Yes, teeth right way in and they did catch for the 1 inch that the motor turned. Ran the radio motor while the cover was off and the problem is that there is no spin when the radio is wsitched off, only one inch of retraction when switched off. Checked voltages across the there's wires and looks like no problems there... does this thing need reprogramming? Is there a way to reset it?

Old 03-01-2017, 05:47 AM
Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by jafari
Yes, teeth right way in and they did catch for the 1 inch that the motor turned. Ran the radio motor while the cover was off and the problem is that there is no spin when the radio is wsitched off, only one inch of retraction when switched off. Checked voltages across the there's wires and looks like no problems there... does this thing need reprogramming? Is there a way to reset it?
I have no knowledge whatsoever, but want to share my experience with my stock antenna.
My antenna would begin to close and stop about 8 inches before.
About a month ago, I did a hard reset on the battery (negative cable to positive terminal) and for whatever reason, the antenna has worked fine since.

Is there a connection? Probably not... but something changed when I did the reset.

The following users liked this post:
jafari (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Anthony8858
I have no knowledge whatsoever, but want to share my experience with my stock antenna.
My antenna would begin to close and stop about 8 inches before.
About a month ago, I did a hard reset on the battery (negative cable to positive terminal) and for whatever reason, the antenna has worked fine since.

Is there a connection? Probably not... but something changed when I did the reset.
That sounds like reprogramming to me! I'll try it this evening and see how I get along

Old 03-02-2017, 06:51 PM
Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

It is a standard Hirschman antenna. It uses a timer circuit and relays to run it. I rebuilt them professionally for many years. There are only three things to go wrong 95% of the time the plastic toothed cable breaks and leaves a piece stuck in the gear box. Remove the broken piece clean and lube the gear drive with white grease. Rarely the constant 12v power fuse goes out. Once in a blue moon the electrical timer/relay board will fry (saw that one time). Make sure you have a good ground, 12v switched and 12v constant. Keep it clean with an alcohol swab and lube with light sewing machine or 3 in 1 oil. KEEP it CLEAN and LUBED!