XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

30 mins to put pressure in tyres!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 403 Posts

The problem you are having is really the lousy quality of the nozzles at the gas stations. With standard tire valves it doesn't make a difference usually but with the shape of the BBS valve extensions, you really have to find a gas station with decently maintained air nozzles.

Even with my first choice gas station the air fill routine still takes at least twice as long as standard wheels. An if you drop one of the itty bitty pieces and you end up having to retrieve it from under your vehicle, it wastes more time and you end up looking like an idiot (ask me how I know).

Doug

Old 08-14-2012, 06:30 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I just took the easy way out, paid for a nitro fill and that includes free checks and refills! Well here in NZ it does anyway!

Old 08-15-2012, 05:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by Redeye
Appreciate all the feedback. The rubber seals on the adapter valves look in good order, but are skinnier than the ones shown in Stumpy's post
It looks like the seals could have been lost at some point and replaced with something makeshift.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:47 AM
Received 187 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
How does the valve recess on my Sepang compare with your Detroit?

There's not much room to grip the extender.
Graham

It looks like my Detroits are a lot easier to get at.
Sorry for delay in posting pictures, had to wait for the storms/rain to stop!!!!

Attached Thumbnails 30 mins to put pressure in tyres!-detroit-1.jpg   30 mins to put pressure in tyres!-detroit-2.jpg   30 mins to put pressure in tyres!-detroit-3.jpg   30 mins to put pressure in tyres!-detroit-4.jpg   30 mins to put pressure in tyres!-detroit-5.jpg  

Old 08-15-2012, 09:14 AM
GGG
Received 16,864 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Stumpy
Graham

It looks like my Detroits are a lot easier to get at.
Sorry for delay in posting pictures, had to wait for the storms/rain to stop!!!!
Not surprised I'm finding these blighters difficult to remove. The extender on the Sepang is almost recessed compared to your Detroit.

I'll see if these extenders are available in different lengths.

Graham

Old 08-15-2012, 10:09 AM
Received 187 Likes on 129 Posts

Graham

The current adapters are a different style, added a knurled part, but the length is the same. So don't think they would be any better for you.

Attached Thumbnails 30 mins to put pressure in tyres!-bbs-adapter.jpg  
Old 07-05-2013, 11:26 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I've found checking the air pressures really cumbersome too. Last time I broke one of the adapters inside the valve. Was quite tricky to get it out without any tools with me. I started wondering if there was a replacement adapter which would be longer or even had a flexible tube fitted which would make the whole job a bit easier?

Old 08-08-2020, 02:08 AM
Received 57 Likes on 25 Posts

I had the same issues of trying to find a local station with an airline which fitted so when in Costco I bought a portable compressor/ jump starter/battery charger, I don't need half of the functions but it looked good with it's digital screen and flashing led's!
Guess what? the fitting on that damn thing doesn't fit the valve extenders either, so unless I can find a suitable adaptor thats another £70 up the swannie!

Old 08-08-2020, 05:23 AM
Received 364 Likes on 180 Posts

I had the same problem and for me, the cause was the Adaptor leaking.
The original Adaptor that came with the car is superior to others on sale. There are 2 reasons (Seal compression and valve depressor). I have tried to show comparative features in image.

Last edited by PKWise; 08-08-2020 at 05:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Redeye (08-09-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 654 Posts
Question Let's find a better way!

Originally Posted by PKWise
I had the same problem and for me, the cause was the Adaptor leaking.
The original Adaptor that came with the car is superior to others on sale. There are 2 reasons (Seal compression and valve depressor). I have tried to show comparative features in image.

Hey Guys!

You have the most Beautiful Wheels ever made on your XKR-XK8,, the most ingenious designed Filling System ever devised and you are complaining about the System....What should you do?

First thing I did was buy a Tire that had a protective Ridge that would protect the S/Steel Curb protector Ring that goes around the outside of the Wheel....I found Continental Extreme Contact Tire had what I was looking for....Then, after they were mounted, I can walk-up to the Tire/Fender and look down the side of the Tire.....It the Protector Ring on the Tire is Bulging-out at the bottom, then I know to add AIR......If it is not.....that means I still have around 30 to 32lbs. of Air Pressure.....If it is Bulging-out a little...That's when I go through the procedure, as I know then that the Tire is getting low.....I check all (4) every Sunday Night about now! This keeps me from going through the 5 minutes per tire procedure. To avoid all the problems you are having with the Service Stations and Tire Stores....get one of those Air Pumps that plug-into your Cigarette Lighter and carry it with you all the time. That way you will not have to go to a Service Station.....The pump is now a part of your XKR!
If you are having problems getting the little Screw-in Filler to tighten-up....get a pair of pliers! They work great! They also make Needle-Nose Plyers, which may be your Cup-of-Tea!

Hey! Life is good in an XKR with BBS Wheels....

Billy Clyde - still "Cruising" around Houston

Last edited by bcprice36; 08-09-2020 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Added something
Old 08-09-2020, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 692 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin D
I see that some of these guys (chaps) are in the UK.

Over here in the states, we have some very low cost ($15-$20) compressors available that run right off of the cigarette lighter. Those are a heck of a lot more convenient than having to go to some air pump at a station somewhere.

AAA 300psi Air Compressor: Automotive : Walmart.com

Hopefully, there are some available in the UK as well.
It's a sure sign that our cars are old when we talk about the cigarette lighter. I don't think I've seen a new car with an ash tray or cigarette lighter in a long time but the power plugs, no matter where in the car, are still shaped like the old cigarette lighters. I wonder if the younger folks know why.

Old 08-10-2020, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

Stu46h,

I still call them what they are: Cigarette Lighter! After all, as you said, our Cars are old and came with them! What about calling them: Cigarette/Power Plugs? Now, what are we going to call the Ash Tray? "Valet Key Storage" That's what I use mine for!

Billy Clyde, still cruzing Houston!

Old 04-16-2022, 09:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ... the answer to the problem

I am having similar problem. I've had the car 20 years without problem using an electric air pump that runs of the cigar lighter. The hose on the pump split (not bad after 20 years!). I replaced the hose with a new (improved!) hose and tyre connector ... then the problems started! The new pump connector has a PTFE (slippery plastic) seal which refuses to grip the also slippery BBS valve extender. To get any air into the tyre I have to hold the connector firmly on the valve extender, a real pain in the ****! Sadly I threw out the old clip on connector which had worked purfectly for 20 years.

I have Detroits with BBS valves.

Old 04-16-2022, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah as I posted about 10 years ago this is one of those aggravating "flaws" that you have to put up with. All of the BBS wheels look great and my favorite are the Montreal's that came on my car. But checking the tire pressures and filling is always an adventure. At first I was doing this at the gas station and if things went perfect it still took long enough to the extent I was always concerned I was holding things up for the next guy. But much of the time things did not go perfect and the little valve or cover screw would slip from my fingers and fall behind the tire which was always fun. Finally I wised up and bought one of those Black & Decker compressors and did the tire routine at home in the garage. That was fine but then I discovered nitrogen from my local tire guy and had the tires filled with that. Smartest thing I ever did since the pressure holds for much much longer than air and I don't feel compelled to check as often as I used to. Maybe once every couple of months I stop by the tire place and they check and refill the nitrogen (if needed) while I wait a couple of minutes.

But the real flaw is that this $6,000 wheel option (at the time) should have come with a low tire pressure warning system. I recall that even my 1995 Corvette had this option so it was nothing new by the time these vehicles came out. That basically eliminates the need to physically check tire pressures or at least gives you a warning that the pressures need attending.

Doug

Old 04-16-2022, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member

Well! Here we are complaining about our Beautiful Cars again! It seems to be the same things as before: Checking the Air in BBS Wheels and our Power Plug and Valet Key Storage area!

It's amazing to me, with all the other problems that the XK8-XKR can create, that we are still concerned about those things....I was like you until I found an answer for those problems....
I first replaced the Lighter Assembly, so I would always have a good (Power Source) for my little Air Compressor ....
Then I ordered from BBS (4) extra "Air Check Valves", (4) extra "Caps" and (4) additional "Valve Stems", for inside the Wheels. (All in case BBS stops making them)....
I had noticed several years ago that the Centennial Tires that I have used for years, have a Curb Protector Ridge that runs all around the outside of the Rims. If you walk up to the Car's Wheel and look down at the Ridge it will tell you if you have a "Low Tire"! If it is "Bowing" out at the Bottom, then you know to check that Tire, as it is loosening pressure. I have used this method for over 10 years without a problem...Works every time!

In addition to these things, I have added "Wheel Locks" for each Wheel, as BBS "Montreal's" cost about $1,300.00 each (New) and good used ones cost more than $500.00 each and most of the time they need repairs of some type....I feel good about the "Locks" as they are not obvious nor do they stand out on the Wheel... They may not be perfect but they make it "HARD" for someone to remove, without the proper tools.

This works for me! Try it, you'll like it!

Billy Clyde @ Cinco Ranch

Old 04-16-2022, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member

I did not mean to be nitpicking on the little things since I love the vehicle in spite of these. What I am saying is that the sticker for this car when new was something like $86K (maybe chump change by today's standards but quite significant in 2005) and then on top of that the BBS wheel package added another $6K. You would think for that amount there would have been LTPWS which was not uncommon at the time even for lesser vehicles.

The following users liked this post:
bcprice36 (04-16-2022)
Old 04-16-2022, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member

Doug,

I'm not so sure BBS or Jaguar could put the Air/Sensors in these Wheels with the type of Air Valve BBS used in them...That could be at least one reason they didn't use the sensors. I'm certainly not an "Engineer", so I'm guessing that had something to do with it.....Although, I'm not so upset about it, as I've never seen an Air/Sensor that worked properly anyway! Personally, I see them as another thing that could get the Wheel "out-of-balance"................I've never worried about the "Air Pressure" after finding the "Curb Protector" on the Continental Tires....That hasn't let me down yet!
Hey! don't worry about it! It's only money that we didn't have to pay anyway! No telling how much the option would have cost!

Billy Clyde @ Cinco Ranch

Old 04-17-2022, 05:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 515 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by xkr_man
I am having similar problem. I've had the car 20 years without problem using an electric air pump that runs of the cigar lighter. The hose on the pump split (not bad after 20 years!). I replaced the hose with a new (improved!) hose and tyre connector ... then the problems started! The new pump connector has a PTFE (slippery plastic) seal which refuses to grip the also slippery BBS valve extender. To get any air into the tyre I have to hold the connector firmly on the valve extender, a real pain in the ****! Sadly I threw out the old clip on connector which had worked purfectly for 20 years.

I have Detroits with BBS valves.
I had a similar problem with my Detroits and a new rechargeable inflator, so I made up an adaptor using the old hose.

I've considered making something similar using an old bicycle tyre valve and hose to provide a proper screw type Schrader valve for the BBS adaptors.