XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'95 Camaro Z28 vs 98+ Jaguar XK8/R

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 01:23 AM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Oh those door panels are horrid. I was replacing some weather stripping today due to a newly developed squeak (of course stuff starts happening as soon as I list the car for sale) and I broke off one of the clips. Now the bottom corner is quite loose, but the squeak is gone.

I've considered the Infinitis and even the Lexus SC430 but they aren't my Forte and neither is the Kia Forte Koup for that matter. Yes I can compare them. They are great cars, comfortable, drive well, respond well and even look good, but I feel awkward in them. I don't like the blind spots and the high rear ends which limit visibility. That's the exact same reason I didn't even make it around the block in the new Camaro and Challenger. I've also ruled out Audi TTs and BMWs.

The only other vehicles I think I'd settle for would be a Mercedes, either SLK (V6) or SL but the lack of even a miniscule back seat is big minus (Same reason I won't consider an XLR). I'd consider a 1987 Porsche 911 Turbo, but I'd be afraid to drive it.

Volvo C30s and Ford Flexes are out of my acceptable price range, though I love both to death and I will own them some day.

Right now I'm fixated on short list of Jaguars. It started off with 23 I was interested in, I've removed all of the 97s, and the two XJ8s (this will bite in the rear soon) and knocked it down to 7 cars. Of those 7 if have picked 5 with 3 major front runners. I'm down to crunching the numbers and preparing some more questions for the owners.

And once I get a couple more opinions about XK8 owners missing out, I will be ready to make an informed decision about medium to long term ownership for these cars.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 538 Likes on 401 Posts

If you don't like blind spots than I would suggest trying to find an XK8/XKR coupe versus the convertible. I otherwise love the sportiness and open-air fun of my convertible but, with the top up, it has blind spots towards the rear that would put Stevie Wonder to shame!

Doug

Old 07-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a hard time accepting that I'm entering a conversation where the conversation revolves around the comparing and contrasting a Jag with a Camaro, but I will say that you will be acutely aware of the difference between an XKR and an XK8. If you get an XK8, then I suspect you will always think "Wow, this would be the perfect car if only it had the supercharger..." I crashed my first XKR coupe last fall and waited 5 months before the right car came up to buy. I could have snapped up a few XK8 coupes during that time that were otherwise great cars, but I am immensely glad that I waited for the right XKR to come along.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
If you don't like blind spots than I would suggest trying to find an XK8/XKR coupe versus the convertible. I otherwise love the sportiness and open-air fun of my convertible but, with the top up, it has blind spots towards the rear that would put Stevie Wonder to shame!

Doug
This car had blind spots:

I'd be halfway into a lane, backing up out of angle parking, before I could see if there was anything coming. The key was backing slowly and listening for horns

Makes my Jag seem easy to see out of by comparison

Old 07-06-2010, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 538 Likes on 401 Posts

The scariest situation is coming out of a driveway or side street and trying to enter the traffic lanes going left (in the westward direction). I wait extra time to see that it is clear for a distance and then basically grit my teeth while entering the lanes due to the uncomfortably large blind gap caused by the convertible top--unnerving.

Doug

Old 07-06-2010, 04:04 PM

Alright well here's my short list. Feel encouraged to offer your guidance. Each have their pros and cons. Cars 1,2 and X are the front runners. Cars 5 and 7 are in the running, but not the most desirable at the moment.

Car #1 - 1998 XK8 Coupe - US$10 999 - Final Shortlist
Location - Marietta, Ga
Mileage - 95 277mi (154 000km) (12 833km/year)
Exterior - White
Interior - Tan
If I bought this car, I would need to change: nothing.
It will cost ~$300 to fly out there and ~$200 to drive home.
At US$10 999, it will cost ~ CAD$14 268 to import + $500 in transport = $14 768 total.
At $9500, it will cost ~ CAD$12 365 to import + $500 in transport = $12 865 total.
At $9000, it will cost ~ CAD$11 731 to import + $500 in transport = $12 231 total.
Notes:
Serviced at dealership since sale in July 2009. Dealer says "Before that sale it went to Nalley Jaguar in Roswell Ga for a check-up, dealers usually do recalls at this time" and "Don't know if tensioners have been replaced, usually by this age they would have been done"
Dan Wicker at Nalley confirms it was there to program a spare key. Records available to Dan can't show recall/warranty repairs or maintenance history.
Dan "will say that Marietta Sportscar is known as being one of the more reputable used car lots in town. They usually don't sell junk"

Car #2 - 2000 XKR Coupe - $11 995 - Nonresponsive.
Location - Farmington, Mi
Mileage - 123 000mi (198 000km) (19 800km/year)
Exterior - Black
Interior - Black
If I bought this car, I would need to change: the wheels ($800)
It will cost ~$800 to get new wheels and ~$30 in gas to drive home.
At US$11 995 it will cost ~ CAD$15 533 to import + $830 = $16 353 total.
At US$11 000 it will cost ~ CAD$14 270 to import + $830 = $14 990 total.
At US$10 000 it will cost ~ CAD$13 000 to import + $830 = $13 830 total.
Notes:
Owner says "No work on timing chain. No rust. Headliner good. Fluids every3500 miles"

Car #7 - 1998 XK8 Coupe - $12 200 - Test Driven: Saturday July 11th - Final Shortlist
Location - Woodstock, Ont
Mileage - 145 000km (12 083km/year)
Exterior - Green
Interior - Tan
If I bought this car, I would change the: paint ($2500) and wheels ($800).
It will cost $3300 to modify and $20 in gas to drive home.
If the car is purchased at CAD$12 200 + $3320 the total is $15 520.
If the car is purchased at CAD$11 500 + $3320 the total is $14 820.
If the car is purchased at CAD$10 500 + $3320 the total is $13 820.
Notes:
Owner says "Tensioners done when I bought it (around 2003) by Jagtech in Waterloo
Water Pump replaced with new version
Throttle body has never been a problem
Headliner is in great shape - no problems
I am the second or third owner - original owner was a lease in TO"

Results:
Car drives fine. No major quirks. Alignment may be a little off, either that or the road wasn't a good one to test. Nothing major.
Car shifts well, is quiet as hell. No clicks, clanks or clangs from the engine on a cold start or after running for 5 minutes.
All electronics work. A/C blow cold. Tires appear to be newer or barely used. No curb rash.
Body work has some scuffs, some stone chips. Drivers door as slight ding likely from another car opening it's door.
Rust for a 12 year old Canadian car is extremely minimal. Passenger window is loose when all the way down, resulting in a louder crash when the door is closed. Needs a new pad/buffer.
Driver's seat as a lot of wear (cracks, torn, worn right down) on the outside edge. Everything else inside is in almost tiptop shape and I'm sure with a half assed clean job, only a few additional minor imperfections will be revealed inside.
When leaving the driver, a noticable bang was heard/felt from the front suspension. This same noise was heard/felt on various bumps but did not seem to compromise the handling of the car. Owner says the "ball joint(s) may need to be greased and/or replaced but he doesn't know for sure.
Owner has some flexibility in the price but unless he's willing to come down to closer to $9500 or have the suspension issue cleared up, I can not in good conscience buy this car.
Issue: "Just a bushing on the upper control arm
I am having him do both bushings while he is there
$75 for bushing and 1.25 hours labour
It is being done tomorrow or Fri depending on parts"

Car X - 2001 XKR Convertible - $18 000 - Nonresponsive.
Location - Hamilton, Ont
Mileage - 168 000km (18 666km/year)
Exterior - Black
Interior - Black
Top - Black
If I bought this car, I would change: nothing.
It will cost $40 in gas to drive home.
The discounted pricing is straight forward.
Notes:
Owner says "Its ahead of its service req from Budds
so if its something that should have been done it would have been...
Its has had heads done, hoses and water pump, new hydraulics and all piping for the roof.
Not much hasn’t been done so if its time for the timing chain then it will have been done"
*Budds is referring to "Budds Imported Cars" a dealership in Toronto. I have never dealt with them.

Cars 1 and X are quite acceptable the way they are.
Car 2 will need wheels as soon as possible. It is good middle ground between cars 1 and X.
Cars 5 and 7 are cheaper, but also require more changes to suit my taste.

The final prices are all within ~$2000 of each other with the exception of X. It comes down to quality and whether I want my car good enough now or if I can have some patience and wait to do what I need to do down the road.

I would have no problem with Car X, except it's at the very end of my budget and if the owner doesn't want to move... well I may be SOL there. If I get a convertible, this is exactly what I want.

If I get a coupe, I want it eventually to look a lot like Yurikaze's only with the wheels from Car 1 and maybe an Arden body kit. I did some photoshopping and they look awesome on it.

My biggest problem: I can scout out all of the cars with the exception of Car 1, I would need to rely on someone from the Forums here in the Marietta, Ga. area to be my eyes and hopefully they're a beer drinker.

And this is where you folks make me think...

Edit 1: Added test drive/inspection appointments
Edit 2: Added notes from the owners.
Edit 3: Updated TD info for Car #5. Removed car #5 from the list.
Edit 4: Updated #1 with Lew's analysis.
Edit 5: Removed Cars #2 and X. Owners are nonresponsive. Updated Car #7.

Last edited by Fedoraja1; 07-14-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:19 PM

I now have 3 test drives scheduled this week. I'm waiting on the owner of car X to get back to me about a Sunday seeing and we'll see about the one in Marietta, Ga.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:14 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,150 Likes on 753 Posts

I must admit, you're quite the planner, and very thorough.

If there's little difference between an XKR and XK8 in the 1998-2002 range, consider the XKR for the peace of mind that will come from having the mercedes transmission, instead of the 5HP. Little beefier, and you shouldn't have to worry about the a-drum/b-drum failure.

Car #1, no mention of tensioners. Keep that in mind, that's a no-compromise expense...must be done. Wheels...not my cup of tea.

Car #2, diggin it very much from the outside. I like this one. The 20" OEM wheels are nice, and not original to the car...they're from a later XKR. Tensioners...again.

Car #5 scares me, no door panel, of course its gonna need new paint like you mentioned. You're going to be disappointed by the seat condition too...better add another $800 for new leather or so on the two seats. Oh yah, and the tensioners again, if they're not done here, same as both above.

Car #7, hard to tell based on two pics, but the same issues apply on this 98 as the other three.

Car X, good looking car. I'm only concerned about the condition of the paint. Owner didn't even detail it before taking the pics (wheels look filthy) That's a good negotiating point there, however. Wheels are OEM, and spec for that year. Still a 2001 will need those tensioners checked out. 9 out of 10 that have had them changed on these forums have documented either cracking or severe wear down to metal from chain travel. Don't let your new car chance breaking the chain or jumping a tooth. Its catastrophic most often.

I'll be following your thread for updates.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:56 PM
Default Added notes.

Notes:
Car #1
Serviced at dealership since sale in July 2009. Dealer says "Before that sale it went to Nalley Jaguar in Roswell Ga for a check-up, dealers usually do recalls at this time" and "Don't know if tensioners have been replaced, usually by this age they would have been done"
Dan Wicker at Nalley confirms it was there to program a spare key. Records available to Dan can't show recall/warranty repairs or maintenance history.
Dan "will say that Marietta Sportscar is known as being one of the more reputable used car lots in town. They usually don't sell junk"

Car #2
Owner says "No work on timing chain. No rust. Headliner good. Fluids every3500 miles"

Car #5
Owner says "I did not change the tensioners, but they have been changed to the new
all metal ones."
Additional pictures the door panel on. This will be a definite talking point.
Owner also says "The car is absolutely rust free. I have not found any rust on it
anywhere. The headliner and sunvisors are not sagging at all, but the
fabric covering of the a-pillar trim seems a bit loose."
Additional pictures provided show potential rust underneath the car. This will be looked at closely.

Car #7
Owner says "Tensioners done when I bought it (around 2003) by Jagtech in Waterloo
Water Pump replaced with new version
Throttle body has never been a problem
Headliner is in great shape - no problems
I am the second or third owner - original owner was a lease in TO"

Car X
Owner says "Its ahead of its service req from Budds
so if its something that should have been done it would have been...
Its has had heads done, hoses and water pump, new hydraulics and all piping for the roof.
Not much hasn’t been done so if its time for the timing chain then it will have been done"
*Budds is referring to "Budds Imported Cars" a dealership in Toronto. I have never dealt with them.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by h20boy
I must admit, you're quite the planner, and very thorough.
I need to be. I'm sure that I'm at the complete opposite end of the financial spectrum as most owners on this forum. I've been pinching my pennies and I need to make sure those pennies turn into gold.

If there's little difference between an XKR and XK8 in the 1998-2002 range, consider the XKR
Already would have, but not for that reason. Just another reason to pick the XKR.

Car #1, no mention of tensioners. Keep that in mind, that's a no-compromise expense...must be done. Wheels...not my cup of tea.
I will make another call or see if someone in the Atlanta area can make a trip for me to check those tensioners. I absolutely love the wheels. I'm sure if the car didn't have those wheels, it never would have made my list.

Car #2, diggin it very much from the outside. I like this one. The 20" OEM wheels are nice, and not original to the car...they're from a later XKR. Tensioners...again.
I've been nervous about this car since I saw the add, but it's worth a look. I'm not sure if the grainy pictures on Craigslist just bug me or the very informal e-mails from the owner do. Not a fan of the wheels, but I don't think the pictures are doing the car justice so maybe they actually do look decent.

Car #5
The door panel will definitely be a talking point. So will potential rust issues. I can't judge the leather too well from the pictures. I will see tomorrow though. If any leather work is needed, I am walking away. Either nothing gets done, or it all gets done. Doing it all is something I do not want to afford, unless the price really reflects that (we're talking <$6000 at purchase).

Car #7
Exactly what I was thinking.

Car X
Tensioners are indeed my biggest concern too. I've gotten used to bringing rags to clear filth from vital spots. If the brake dust doesn't just blow off, the car hasn't been looked after well enough for my liking and will need some more price negotiation.

9 out of 10 that have had them changed on these forums have documented either cracking or severe wear down to metal from chain travel. Don't let your new car chance breaking the chain or jumping a tooth. Its catastrophic most often.
Should that read "9 out of 10 that haven't had them changed..."?

Old 07-07-2010, 12:50 AM
Veteran member

No, you read correctly, those are the ones that have replaced them as preventative maintenance, and lived to tell the tale. The ones I've seen that haven't changed them have come out in pieces, some up top, others from the oil pan, most with a busted chain to boot.

If you get a car that you're swapping wheels with, especially that XKR if it ends up in your garage, you'll can recoup some of your expense by reselling them, especially those 20" detroits, scratch that...they look like the 18" Milans from the Silverstone edition, assuming the trim rings aren't trashed...they are almost impossible to repair.

Last edited by H20boy; 07-07-2010 at 12:58 AM. Reason: wrong wheel type
Old 07-07-2010, 07:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

I like #2 and I even like the wheels on it. I suspect the pictures are not doing the car justice as I've seen other cars with those wheels (I can't tell which ones they are either) and they look great. At least they aren't Revolvers I'm not sure who thought they would look good on these cars...but they don't. I normally like slotted wheels and I love 5 spokes, but they just don't work on these cars. They do look pretty good on XJs though.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:55 AM

Thanks for the input h20 and Westra!

So cars #2 and #5 today. Wish me luck (at border that is!)

Old 07-07-2010, 09:14 AM
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

My first XK8 was Sapphire and Ivory - I absolutely love the color combination. I had the 18" sport wheels on it (the only optional wheel in 1999) -

That particular car got more compliments and exuded class. If the paint were perfect that is the one I'd go for in a heartbeat. But if you are going to paint it the Sapphire is the best blue out there (IMHO)

Good luck with the search

Last edited by MarcB; 07-07-2010 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Matt
I don't think #2 has Detroit Wheels either, But the Silverstone came with 20" Detroit wheels, Also the Silverstone was the first XKR to come out with a different suspension, the 14" front and 13" rear Brembo brakes. Which was then added as a options on later R's and then standard
I'm going to try to replace a trashed trim ring this winter when the car is in storage. I was able to purchase the trim rings from England. rather costly but they claim they can be replaced.
Hope you find your Jag Fedoraja
Doug
2001 XKR Silverstone

Last edited by RCSign; 07-07-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Veteran member

I did a little more googling on those wheels, looks like they are Milan style from the 2003 XJR, they appear to be 18"s.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:33 PM

*Insert scream of frustration here*

My god what a day. It started off beautiful. I got to the salvage yard in good time along the scenic route and ordered my part. Cruised the Jag dealership in Malcomb, Mi... nothing exciting there. Went to the local mall, again nothing exciting. Attempted to call owner of #2... he gave me a bad/wrong number. Attempted to e-mail him, phone wouldn't let me e-mail. Spent all my US money on gas and a snack. Got thirtsy so I had to by an Grande Iced Caramel Machiatto for $3 on my VISA.

Finally got to see Car #5... blah I'd take it for half the price, but I wouldn't give up my minivan for it. It looks better in the pictures. There is a little rust underneath, nothing major, but some. The paint needs to be totally redone. Driver's seat needs to be completely repaired. The forward/backward button cover is missing. On the passenger seat, the furthest back of the three toggles doesn't work. Car started fine. Sounded good. A click developed which I didn't like. It sounded like a chipmunk every few seconds. BIG red flag went up there. He says it's the "cam phaser" or something. Not sure if that's true or not but I've never heard that noise on any of the previous cars I've taken out. The car needs an alignment for sure. when driving it pulls, smoothly, but obviously. When braking, it pulls. Worst feeling ever. I rode in all four spots, seats are still comfortable and well supported but the driver's seat will need work. Acceleration was smooth and quiet, but didn't have the pull I've felt on others. The accelerator felt really, really light and loose. Never noticed that before. Always noticed some resistance, on this there was none. Road noise was... acceptable, for me anyways.

My notes are still in the car. I will get them in a little bit and probably retype this more legibly but for now I'm going to go get myself a cold beer and read my speeding ticket.

Oh yeah, I got a speeding ticket for being Canadian today. Thanks, Jerk. I avoid nonsense at the border only to be given a speeding ticket on my way home as a small downpour hits.

Make that two beer and a good swim at the beach.

Owner of car #2 just called, he mistyped his number.

FML.

Jared

Old 07-07-2010, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts

Hey Fed, I don't think you need to rush into this. I spent two months searching craigslist, cars.com, and autotrader.com. I looked at several cars, but I knew the car I wanted to buy when I saw the ad. The color combo wasn't my first choice, but the price was irresistible. I got a 2003 XK8 with the 4.2 liter engine and 72K miles for only $14K. I put new rear tires on it for $500, so I got a very nice, newer XK8 for less than the drive-away price on some of the older one's you're looking at. The good deals are out there, you just have to keep searching.

I just got lucky when I got my '03. I didn't know the cars had changed significantly from the '02 to '03 model years. I saw an 03 at a price less than many dealers were asking for '99's and I jumped on it. At the price range you're looking in, you an afford an '03 or newer. The newer ones have a much better engine and I'm pretty sure the 19 inch wheels are standard with 20's optional.

Of course, if you wait until October you can probably get an awesome deal. Convertibles are like boats, the prices skyrocket in the spring and plummet in the fall.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Hey Fed,
Sam's right take your time I spent almost a year looking for mine.
Doug

Old 07-07-2010, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts

Fed, I thought you were a woman! I guess it's because in the pics of your Camaro there is a woman sitting in the car. Now I see that your name is Jared! I'm now assuming that your a dude, so I'll show you more respect.

Just kidding!!! I respect women, too!

Quick Reply: '95 Camaro Z28 vs 98+ Jaguar XK8/R