XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

'95 Camaro Z28 vs 98+ Jaguar XK8/R

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 01:09 PM
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Yes Perseus, also known as BBS RSII - supposedly standard equipment on all 4.2s/Victory Edition XKRs which I believe number less than 500 - worldwide (not sure about that).

I say supposedly because my car came with chrome Atlas wheels that I sold once I sourced the Perseus wheels (the window sticker actually listed the 20" Perseus as std. equipment and listed the chrome 19" Atlas as a N/C option, I used that as a negotiating tool).

FYI - BBS doesn't list the size and offset as available as they are protecting their OEM status with Jaguar.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:51 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Good god. The car is finally ready. Now to finally stop second guessing and overthinking and just get the bloody car.

I can't tonight. I don't have time.

I might be able to tomorrow, but I have a date with a Judge. Hopefully that will involved showing up at 9:30 going in and coming out instead of waiting all day. Why can't people just admit defeat? I have the custody. Just let us be.

Thursday I can't. I the little one isn't in daycare and I have a meeting with the lawyer. Also my ride is not available.

Friday afternoon would be ideal. Drive to Woodstock, pick up the car. My copilot will drive the Camaro home and I will take the Jaguar to London to see Alice Cooper, then drive home.

I'm nervous. I hate waiting for big purchases. I always overthink and second guess myself.

I'm going to pull through. I can do it. Won't stop looking for a better deal until I pay the man though.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:57 AM

So the car is ready. I have the cheque. No way to get a car home. Excellent. Any suggestions?

Old 07-23-2010, 12:36 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

Rent a car and drive it there and then turn it in and drive yours back home. You may have 7,875 reasons why you don't want to do it, but it is an option. You could also catch a bus and see if the seller will pick you up where the bus drops you off. Do you have Greyhound there?

Last edited by Kevin D; 07-23-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:55 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Buy a $200 POS, drive it down here, abandon it on the side of the road, drive your new one back.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:05 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

Yeah Matt, and hope that one of them does not break down on the trip! Bad odds there! LOL!

Old 07-23-2010, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin D
Rent a car and drive it there and then turn it in and drive yours back home. You may have 7,875 reasons why you don't want to do it, but it is an option. You could also catch a bus and see if the seller will pick you up where the bus drops you off. Do you have Greyhound there?
You read my mind. But I got the same answer "we don't have any cars".

Unfortunately Greyhound stopped service here last year.

A $200 POS would work, until it broke down or got charged for abandoning it lol

Looks like I'll be making a seperate trip. Excellent!

Thanks for the suggestions though.

P.S Train would get in too late as well.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:10 PM

WOOHOO! GOT A RIDE! 11TH HOUR, BUT A RIDE!!! So barring any red flags, the car is mine. I'll b e late for the concert, but wuteva.

Wish me luck.

Jared

Old 07-23-2010, 04:55 PM
Veteran member

you can always post updates from your phone!

Old 07-23-2010, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 257 Likes on 200 Posts

Be sure to post some pictures and let us know how you like it. Some of us feel real close to your purchasing a Jaguar!

Old 07-24-2010, 05:29 PM

My ride bailed.

I got a parking ticket.

Not happy.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:32 PM
Old 07-25-2010, 03:08 PM
Veteran member

I can only presume that's you driving behind (then in front) of your old camaro...in the new Jaaa-aag?

How did she drive?

Old 07-25-2010, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

Stoopid me. I saw your post and did not realize your comments were "linkable" and could not figure out what you meant. So these pictures seem to show you driving behind the old Camaro in your "new" Jag? If so, congrats and let's see some pictures of the new car.

Doug

Old 07-25-2010, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 257 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
Stoopid me. I saw your post and did not realize your comments were "linkable" and could not figure out what you meant. So these pictures seem to show you driving behind the old Camaro in your "new" Jag? If so, congrats and let's see some pictures of the new car.

Doug
Took me a bit to figure that out too!!

Old 07-26-2010, 09:02 AM

By the numbers:

1: Jaguar purchased
2: Countries
2: Saloons driven/inspected
3: Coupes driven/inspected
4: Jaguar XKs seen locally in the week immediately preceeding my purchase (most I've ever seen in such a short span. Haven't seen any since Thursday though.)
5: Years of waiting to buy a Jaguar
6: Convertibles driven/inspected
9: Rolls Royces seen (8 in a row on the 402 on the 25th)
10: Provinces and states
11: Jaguars driven/inspected this year (1 XJR, 1 XJ8, 2 XKR, 7 XK8)
23:Cars on my list at the start of spring.
1600: Kilometers put on my car chasing Jaguars since July 6th
Many: Viewpoints and opinions on my search
Many: People involved in helping me make the right choice.
Very many: Thanks to everyone who chipped in with some/a lot of advice.
1: Big thanks to Lew

This spring and summer has been quite interesting. Been some ups and a lot of downs. A lot of travelling. A lot of driving. A lot of money. And definitely a lot of waiting, again.

I can't count the number of times my patience has been tested. Whether it was US Customs (I missed two chances thanks to them), owners misrepresenting their cars and friends bailing on me at the last minute.

I will admit I've expanded my interest list to include C6 Corvettes, Mercedes R171 SLKs and R320 SLs. Even Boxters, Z3s and top-o-the-line sedans (6/7 series BMW) were considered but never really too serious. Would've been nice to find a Maserati Coupe/Spyder but that didn't happen.

But during that time, and over the past couple years I've been able to fine-tune my search. I started just wanting a "Jaguar". Then it was certain models. The models years. Then colours. Eventually ending up with a pretty narrow search criteria.

And that brings me to July of 2010. It seemed as if the god of car purchases had it in for me. Wasn't having much luck with anything related to buying a car. It seemed that that god threw everything he could at me and even teased me. I saw 3 different XKs in town this month. I only knew of 2 which I hadn't seen yet this year. I saw the same one twice on my trips to Detroit.

But here I am. July 26, 2010 and brand new to the world of Jaguar ownership. I purchased car #7 yesterday after finally getting a copilot.

Attached Thumbnails '95 Camaro Z28 vs 98+ Jaguar XK8/R-handshake.jpg  

Last edited by H20boy; 07-26-2010 at 09:21 AM. Reason: big pic from your thumb
Old 07-26-2010, 09:06 AM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Congratulation! Now post some pictures!

Old 07-26-2010, 09:22 AM
Veteran member

ahhh, the story comes to conclusion.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:44 AM

While Car #7 doesn't look anywhere near as nice as Car #1, the one Lew inspected for me, I am happy with it.

Unfortunately Marietta Sportscar wouldn't budge on the price after Lew revealed some of the drawbracks, which could've been overlooked in the near term. However the deal breaker was the unknown status of the tensioners. With their own shop you'd think they would be able to just take a look, but they didn't. If I spend $15 000 on a car after all dues are paid, I had better know what I'm getting. They kept pushing their warranty in my face as if it made up for the potential risk. While it does make up for the risk in a way, I wasn't going to take the risk and the eventual headache and hassle that would come along with asking a dealership 12 hours away in a different country to honour their warranty. So if they wouldn't lower their price, I couldn't in good conscience do it.

Once again, thank you Lew!

And on to my new-to-me car.

I left home around 9:30. We were flying, doing 150 km/h at times with the rest of traffic. Got there, and Steve, the owner came out, provided the paper work and both sets of keys. Allowed me to take it out for a spin before hand and it was definitely improved. No more clunks, clangs or bangs. Engined purrred and then PURRRRRRED. I'm sure something was done to the brakes as well. The car stopped much smoother and quicker than it did last time. It handled even better so I was happy.

Had a two hour ride home from Norwich, Ontario to learn about the car. I love the turning radius. I love the quiet. I love the smoothness and fluidity of every action, though sometimes it is unnerving when I can't feel the stiffness I'm used to in my Camaro. It definitely turned heads on the highway. I could see people in their Bimmers and Escalades following me as they passed me or as I passed them. At 160km/h there was some vibration but I attribute that to the highway more than anything else. Alignment is perfect.

Every time I take off in an XK, I never remember how gracefully it reaches speeds. Every time I scare myself when I look down and I've reached the speed I'm at without even noticing. It's dangerous. Good thing is that traffic was doing 130/140 all the way home, even past two cops so I wasn't out of place and neither was the Camaro.

I have figured out some negatives though. There is a crazy reflection of the deck behind the rear seats on the rear windshield and it's especially noticable in the rearview mirror.
The wood trim on the passenger side near the glove box reflects the trees and other cars which is kind of spooky at times. Out of nowhere I'll notice a big movement and look, then I'd realize what it was.
With my shorter stature, I have a difficult time reaching the intrument panel from my comfortable seating position to change tracks on the CDs and manipulate many of the controls.

But those are mostly minor and more than made up for when cruising down by the river, watching everyone take a look. Either today or tomorrow I'm going to park it in a visable spot, and sit back to watch the people stare.

Here is a link to my Picasa photo album of the new Jag-U-Are.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Congratulations! Once you get used to the steering wheel controls you won't have to touch the stereo much. I definitely know what you mean about the smooth speed requiring acclimation. Thanks for the pictures too.

Quick Reply: '95 Camaro Z28 vs 98+ Jaguar XK8/R