XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'95 Camaro Z28 vs 98+ Jaguar XK8/R

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 01:43 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Xk8

Jared, I had a BRG XK8 just like yours before my R. Thought you might like to see haw it would look with a Mina grill.

Attached Thumbnails '95 Camaro Z28 vs 98+ Jaguar XK8/R-dscn1462.jpg  
Old 07-26-2010, 10:58 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Added some more pictures from my trip along the river today. Nothing spectacular.

Thanks govatos. Looks good. I'll keep it in mind. However the grille is lower on my list of to-dos right now.

First: A good, good scrubbin' and interior bathing.
Second: Clean up stone chips and smudges.
Third: Arial
Fourth: Wheels/Tires (I'll need some help with this)
Fifth: Well, already started but I need to "similarize" the Z28 and XK8.

First and second are straight forward. Third could be tricky. It doesn't bug me but I know it's wrong and that does bug me. The wheels and tires will be expensive(ish), especially when I add winter tires to the mix.

And fifth, the fun part. I've decided that since both cars are dark green and both cars have tan interiors, I might make them a little more uniform. Started an idea/update thread here.

Last edited by Fedoraja1; 07-26-2010 at 11:18 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:33 AM
Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Congrats - Nice ride. A new antenna mast (about US$20) and five minutes time will fix you up on that stuck mast. Get yourself a pair of polarized sunglasses and that rear window reflection will be gone too.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:10 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Jared, take a look at this for your stone chips. I tried it and it works pretty well.

http://www.drcolorchip.com/

BTW, check out the detailing section on this forum. Some good stuff there.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:08 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,150 Likes on 753 Posts

speaking of color chip repair, I'm trying the Langka product/system this weekend. Will let you know how it goes, will document well...but only share if it is effective and looks good.

Unlike DrColorchip, this one works using the factory touchup paint, and then a 'glob' remover. I'm actually doing a hybrid process, using a little clear ontop, then using 3000grit sandpaper to level it off. I found a vette forum writeup that is unbelievable using this method.

BTW, speaking of tires, I saw a couple xk8s with the silver 19" Atlas wheels, and they really look good now that I've seen it on the car (not just alone in an ebay ad) Definitely consider these as an option, you can pick them up for less than $1000 for a set. Here's a pic I 'borrowed' from ebay (just picture a coupe, i photoshopped it green)

Last edited by H20boy; 07-27-2010 at 10:18 PM. Reason: made the car green!
Old 07-28-2010, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by brobin
Congrats - Nice ride. A new antenna mast (about US$20) and five minutes time will fix you up on that stuck mast. Get yourself a pair of polarized sunglasses and that rear window reflection will be gone too.
Thank you! And thanks for the tips as well.

Originally Posted by govatos
I'll give it a shot. I might have too many chips in too many places. I'll get some pictures today to show you.

Originally Posted by h20boy
speaking of color chip repair, I'm trying the Langka product/system this weekend. I found a vette forum writeup that is unbelievable using this method.
I'm not sure I have the patience for that, well right now anyways. But be sure to let us know how it goes.

BTW, speaking of tires, I saw a couple xk8s with the silver 19" Atlas wheels, Here's a pic I 'borrowed' from ebay (just picture a coupe, i photoshopped it green)
Excellent photoshop. I thought you had found a new picture, until I reread it. Despite my bias against green, I kind of like that shade of it.
About the wheels though, I'm undecided. They are simple and plain enough for my simple tastes, but maybe it's the lighting or something, but they look more like hub caps or wheel covers than actual wheels.

I've noticed that you and Sam seem to have very similar cars with very similar wheels. I'm pretty sure I like them.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Jared
If you decide to have the front bumper repainted, removing it really is an easy do it yourself project. I had my car repainted last winter and disassembled the whole car for paint. The JTIS was invaluable. One thing I did find out about the front bumper when I bought my car the bumper had been repainted before and they didn't use the special Jaguar plastic rivets, just screws and metal fasteners underneath to fasten it. This actually distorted the bottom of the bumper. I believe the plastic rivets from the factory give the plastic a little room for expansion from heat and cold. When I installed it I used all of the Jaguar fasteners and the distortion went away.
Doug
2001 XKR Silverstone

Old 07-29-2010, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by RCSign
Jared
One thing I did find out about the front bumper when I bought my car the bumper had been repainted before and they didn't use the special Jaguar plastic rivets, just screws and metal fasteners underneath to fasten it. This actually distorted the bottom of the bumper.
Doug
2001 XKR Silverstone
If you felt about that how I feel when I'm working on my cars and notice a repair wasn't done correctly... I know the feeling and it's not a good one.
Thanks for the heads up though. I can only hope the paint is still original... it sure looks it.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:05 AM

I seem to have found a donor car for $1700 with a parts title. Some parts are missing but if the owner doesn't sell the car as a whole I can lay claim to the driver's seat, emblems, antenna and motor and maybe even some other parts I may need once I find every little gizmo and imperfection.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:31 AM
Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

See if www.colorsonparade.com has a guy near you. They did the rear bumper of my Jeep and the front bumper on my wife's BMW for $250 a pop (much better than the $900 and $2200 quotes we got) and they're perfect. They come to you, mix the color on the truck, sand, prep and paint (multiple coats + clear coat) in about 2 hours.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:15 PM

So the rule of driving is look where you want to go. What happens when you're staring at a nice looking Jaguar XK8? Yeah you tend to steer towards it. Good thing I generally pay attention when I'm driving or I would've been sandwiched between a large truck and a building.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:50 PM
Default '95 Camaro Z28 vs '98 Jaguar XK8

'95 Camaro Z28 vs '98 Jaguar XK8

I'm not even sure where to begin to compare the cars, they both (in my mind) have so many positive attributes that I can't decide which is better.

Comfort
This is the hardest part to compare, by far. I make no secret of it that my Z28 is super comfortable to me. All of my buttons/knobs/switches are in reach without me moving more than my hand off the wheel and my steering wheel is in just the right position. The seats seamed to fit me like a glove. When I drive with my hand out the window, I can grab the A-pillar in just the right position. Unfortunately a lot of the time, if I'm just driving casually my right arm can't rest to well on the centre console while gripping the wheel at the bottom. And in my case, especially this summer that's how I've been driving and my arm does get sore.

A lot of times I hate change; evidenced by the fact I bought a second green Camaro with the same options despite better, cheaper, nice cars out there. So obviously going from two Camaros and a host of minivans to a Jaguar XK8 was going to be a change. And yes, yes it was. After getting used to the seat itself (which makes the Z28 feel like stone, albeit very comfortable stone), I have found the perfect position for my upperbody and on those days when I have a sore back, extra support is just a split second away. However, with that said, I can't seem to get my legs and feet in the right position. My left leg can't quite reach the rest and my right foot never manages to get to the throttle correctly without dedicated thought to my foot's exact position. I must also complain about the smaller windows that come with the lower roof line, I can't grab the A-pillar as comfortably either. Less of an issue, but still a nuisance, I'm just out of comfortable reach from some of the controls. If consol had been tilted towards the driver like in the Camaro, I don't think it would be an issue.

Obviously the ride quality doesn't compare. In the Z28, I feel most bumps and some can knock me around the cockpit pretty well. In the XK8 I feel them alright, but the car absorbs them so much I don't need to rearrange myself after hitting them I merely think "was that really a cat I just hit? Could've sworn it was just a frog..."

Despite the extremely annoying foot positions, I reluctantly give overall comfort to the Jaguar. The seats are too close to call and the upper body positions have their pluses and minuses, but the fact that I can drink my tea while driving the Jaguar while running over cats tilts the balance, however slightly. Comfort: Jaguar

Gizmos and gadgets
This is a no brainer. The Camaro doesn't have a heated windshield necessary in winter driving in Canada. It doesn't have heated seats, another necessity. In fact, the Camaro Z28 really doesn't have any gizmos and gadgets that the Jaguar doesn't have... oh wait... it has a CD player in the dash and a much more simple and capable stereo system.

The Jaguar has both a heated windshield and heated seats. If I had a garage, I could open the door with the car. It has an autodimming mirror which is seamless and confused me the first time I noticed it in action. I love the little beeps with the unlock and lock. The only down fall of this car is the barely satisfactory sound system (especially the lack of a manual radio dial!!!)

I can't ignore the benefits of heat. Scraping a windshield just sucks, especially if you're in a hurry and spots get missed. Cold leather just sucks too. Gizmos and gadgets: Jaguar

Handling
This is another no brainer. If the centre console wasn't there on the Camaro, on some turns at medium-high speed I'd be in my passenger's lap.
I've travelled some of my favourite turns with the XK8 and well, I can do it. There's no screams of pain from the tires, no backend sliding out, no falling across the car even at a higher rate of speed than in the Z28. Not to mention the tighter turning radius and smoothness of the control.

Do I really need to explain why? Handling: Jaguar

Looks
This is entirely subjective. The Camaro just looks fast. It looks cool. But it also looks cheap. Unless there's $10 000 worth of work in to it, it just looks like a cheap car. There is no aura, no je ne sais quois. It's just a fast, cool car.

The XK8 on the other hand looks gorgeous whether it's stopped, going fast or slow. No, it doesn't look cool, but it looks like a million f'n bucks. It has the aura, that je ne sais quois that makes people drool.

So while the Camaro has the attraction of a gorgeous exotic dancer, the Jaguar has the attraction of a supermodel. Looks: Jaguar

Power
I'm sorry, but this again is another no brainer. The Camaro just gushes power. You hit the gas, you feel the power. you feel it in the accelerator, you feel it in the steering wheel, you feel it flow through your body and you feel it hit the road and then in your stomach as you surge forward. The Z28 is a stampede of 275 horses all racing to that finish line, dragging you a long with it.

While the Jaguar has more power, it uses it differently. It doesn't surge. It doesn't leap. It just... gets there, almost entirely unnoticeable. It's graceful and smooth and probably too refined (sometimes). It doesn't feel like you control the stampede of 290 horses at your disposal. It's more like a well trained caravan trotting in unison with you at the reins sitting on a pillow in the wagon.

Both cars have power but the Camaro Z28 allows the driver to feel it. The car is gone and you're well aware of it. Power: Camaro Z28

Visibility
The Camaro has few blindspots. I only have blindspots when maneuvering on certain angles. The biggest downfall of the Camaro is the lights. They all suck. The highbeams produce less light than many low beams and the lowbeams are often confused for daytime running lights (yes, been pulled over twice for this). Interior lights suck too. The best part of the view though, is out the back; it's totally unimpeded by anything.

The Jaguar has numerous blindspots, helped in part by relatively small doors combined with C and D pillars. The view out the rear is impeded by the rear deck behind the seats, though not as bad as many, many newer vehicles. Anyone who has followed this thread knows where I stand on rearviews. Night driving in the XK8 is much safer though. The lights actually allow you to see the road and the highbeams DO blind people.

Unfortunately for the Jaguar, my night driving is pretty limited as my daughter is generally sleeping and I can't take advantage of the headlights. With that said, my extreme bias towards the rearview is unchallenged. Visibility: Camaro Z28

Volume
The stereo of the Z28 can definitely pump out the jams louder than the XK8. The Camaro needs to though. Road noise can be pretty bad at times, add the roar of the engine, grumble of the exhaust and the wind and it's one, loud, loud car. Those high decible jams are needed to drown out all of the other noises.

The XK8, what noise? There's some minor wind noise, a little road noise on average roads, but nothing intolerable. Normal conversational tone is entirely adequate even with the radio playing softly.

The Camaro is just louder all around and proud of it. Anything but an outdoor voices is too quiet. The XK8 just purrs like a kitten getting it's belly scratched. I'm sure it could be driven in a library and no one would notice, save for the shelves being knocked over. Volume: Jaguar

Misc
This kind of cancels itself out. I can fit two, maybe three more people in the Camaro. More importantly, I can fit my daughter and her car seat in the back and still have room for someone smallish to ride shotgun in relative comfort. With the XK8, it's a tad bit more difficult. The car seat is larger than the seats and the passenger will have a sore back from sitting totally vertical.

On the flipside, the trunk in the Camaro is almost useless. I can't fit a stroller and anything more than overnight bag for myself and my daughter will need to ride in the rear seat (including the stroller). In the XK8, all of that will fit in the trunk with ease.

Kind of makes you wonder, if you can't bring your stuff, why have seating for four? If you can't bring your friends, why have so much space?

Conclusion?
I'm not too sure how to bring this to conclusion. Maybe it will be an inconclusive conclusion? Based on points alone, the Jaguar XK8 is the best of the two. No matter how fast it's moving, or even if it isn't, it looks absolutely gorgeous. The car can handle well at higher speeds and what makes it even better is the fact the car will handle well at higher speeds while you drink your tea and carry on a covnersation with your passenger in a normal voice. It's major drawback can easily be cured by an attentive driver. The more minor issues regarding the stereo can be rectified for a couple units of currency and I'm sure if I wanted more immediate, gut churning power some tweaking to the gearing could be utilized or I could just upgrade to an XKR over the winter or spring.

I recommend a Camaro Z28 for anyone who wants a reliable good looking car, with tons of potential and plenty of power. You can beat it for the money and it's infinitely better than anything rice.

No matter how great the Jaguar is and no matter how many imperfections I now notice on the Camaro, I still love it. It's home to me. The XK8 just happens to be the new cottage I visit all the time.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:18 AM
Veteran member

Comfort: I'm still trying to find that 'perfect' seat position...with all those adjustments available, the options are endless. I do know what you mean by the left leg. Try the lower seat tilt/raise on the front/rear to find a compromise.

Power: Did you know there is a kickdown 'switch' under the accelerator? You actually have to press the pedal down INTO the switch, it clicks...and you get another 15% or so throttle opening.

Also, that age of car most likely needs the throttle cable adjusted. See the thread in our area, and just do it. Takes 10 minutes, makes a world of difference.. I gained 21% of my throttle position just by doing this.

You do yours, then report back (or just stinkin reply in that thread) lol

Misc: If you have a small spare, did you lower your boot shelf to the lower position? Gain like 6" over the center of the boot, BIG difference.

Conclusion: Don't you just feel more 'refined' and 'educated' just driving the jag? I do..in fact, too smart. I often have to avoid Holiday Inn Expresses when I travel by car, as my brain will most likely explode from the combination.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:16 AM

Good to know I'm not the only one who has a short left leg!

The only kickdown I've noticed is in second. That's the only place I can get punched in the gut, but even then it's like a 5 year old's punch. I will eventually do the throttle cable, it's just a matter of finding the time and once the change is made an edit to my comparison will be made.

The boot already has more than enough room for my needs but I do have a full size and I wouldn't want it other way. Donuts make me nervous.

I can't quite describe the feeling yet. My best description has and probably will be something like "je ne sais quois" which means "I don't know what". I must admit I feel like I have class now. I don't feel right driving around in a ten year old greasey/oily/stained t-shirt and equally conditioned shorts.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by govatos
Jared, take a look at this for your stone chips. I tried it and it works pretty well.

http://www.drcolorchip.com/

BTW, check out the detailing section on this forum. Some good stuff there.
Wow! That's one expensive band-aid! I'm not sure if that's really worth it if I end up doing a respray over the winter. I just need something to make it look a little better so I can get some super nice pictures during the final month of summer.

Matt, have you had any luck with your hybrid Langka system?

Old 07-31-2010, 09:01 PM
Veteran member

Got the Langka package, just waiting for my touchup pen to arrive, it ships separately and takes a few more days.

Right now, my projects are stacked up. This is the last thing on my list, after the xkr grill install, fuel filter, lower ball joint (my boot got torn, no mechanical problem yet) and new wipers. That last one is killing me, seriously, auto part's book said 21inchers, but I actually need a 20 for the driver, and 19 for the passenger. Geesh!

Probably be 2 weeks until I can get to the paint chip repair attempt...must focus and be well prepared.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:52 PM
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Conclusion: I often have to avoid Holiday Inn Expresses when I travel by car, as my brain will most likely explode from the combination.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, That was classic!

Old 08-01-2010, 11:13 PM
Veteran member

thanks squirrel, I didn't think anyone would get the humor.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:20 PM

I'm beginning to remember the commercials I tried so hard to forget.