XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

96 XK8: Battery/radio/ Key fob woes

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2024, 06:52 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 96 XK8: Battery/radio/ Key fob woes

Hi All,

Long story - short: over time my battery was running down (never flat) until I disconnected the Intel. Sounder (thanks: TTG). However, the months of disconnecting the negative terminal from the battery & trickle charging seem to have caused a few issues. I am not sure that I can download the JAG Technician's program either as I have a 64 bit/ Windows 11
laptop - everything seems to run on XP with the posts now being over 10 years old!
Two of my major issues:
1.The radio/ tape (H Kardon system not square button pad) will not turn on with no aerial either. No blown fuse and power to the unit is ok.
2. Both key fobs stopped locking/ unlocking the car at exactly the same time. They never produced a "chirp" but at least they worked. I have changed the fob batteries & followed the re-learn procedure without success. In fact. the car does not seem to go into "learn" mode as I get no little red light next to the gear lever at any stage in the process. The keys lock the car manually no problem & the boot/fuel filler cap open fine from inside the car OK. All fuses everywhere are good.
The car ran OK until a few days ago when it stuttered & I had the dreaded CEL and a Fuel Relay code (I forget the actual code). I now also have a Traction Control/ Stability Control warning as well.

I am thinking the battery is at fault but it charges well and the car starts fine every time. I am being a tight wad as these batteries cost a fortune so I am holding off as best I can! Surely all of these issues cannot be because of the battery - that does not make sense to me.

Any help is much appreciated.

Old 08-15-2024, 06:59 AM
Received 303 Likes on 225 Posts

If you have power to the stereo but it won't turn on, you have a faulty stereo.

It sounds like you also have a bad battery, but you'd need to post some voltage info here to get more of an idea. Or just fit a new battery.

Old 08-15-2024, 08:29 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey, I sorted out the Key fobs!! I pushed and held the key in at the first number 1 turn and flashed the lights - the little red light came on! I tried to program the remotes with no luck - I cleaned them and got one to work! Hurray! The other ended up being taken apart another 10+ times as the battery would not sit properly.
So, the moral is.... if your car has highish miles (mine has 100,000), the key barrel may be a bit worn. Pushing and holding the key in position made the contact to enable the program/ learn sequence! YAY!
Onto the next issue, but that can wait until tomorrow! I am v. pleased though!

The following users liked this post:
RJ237 (08-15-2024)