XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

'97 Body Control module. Plug and Play or need coding?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 05:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '97 Body Control module. Plug and Play or need coding?

I think I may need to replace the BCM on my '97 convertible. Does this plug straight on or does the car have to go to a dealer to have the replacement module coded please?

Nothing specific on search....

Thanks,

K9

Old 08-19-2014, 10:39 PM
Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by K9cop
I think I may need to replace the BCM on my '97 convertible. Does this plug straight on or does the car have to go to a dealer to have the replacement module coded please?

Nothing specific on search....

Thanks,

K9
I believe it needs programming. A quick search on Ebay shows a few, and the label indicates it's programmable, and the part number has /XXX afterwards that also indicates programmable.

In the trunk there should be a JCATS lable that indicates what the module was programmed with (a 3 digit code).

-Steve

The following users liked this post:
K9cop (08-20-2014)
Old 08-20-2014, 12:12 AM

Nice, thanks for the reply Steve. I have a buddy coming over tomorrow (Chevy Tech) just to go through the basics and see where we are. It used o start fine, then wouldn't start in Park, then not in neutral, so now not at all. I thought it was the PRND switch but now not so sure....

K9

Old 08-20-2014, 05:32 AM
Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts
Default No Plug and Play

....more information.

Attached Files
The following 3 users liked this post by toaster:
jonscot (08-20-2014), K9cop (08-20-2014), multiplecats (08-20-2014)
Old 08-20-2014, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by toaster
....more information.
Holy smokes! That's great information, thank you very much. That should make a module from a car with an identical VCATS sticker plug and play. Thank you!

K9

Old 08-20-2014, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,819 Likes on 2,246 Posts

I replaced my abs module with an exact match and it works fine. I also bought a spare TCM exact match and it also works, but when I had the checked with WDS (or maybe IDS0 was told it wasn't communicating with the ECU. Still, the transmission operated correctly. So there may be a problem, but not necessarily a major one.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts

K9cop, If you could post instructions on where to find, how to get to, the BCM, I'd sure appreciate it. While I've got a 1998, I'm sure it is similar and would sure like to check connections & continuity to the wheel tilt/extend switch. I don't have a clue as to how to get to the BCM. It's behind the glove box right?

Thanks in advance, John

Old 08-21-2014, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by Johnken
K9cop, If you could post instructions on where to find, how to get to, the BCM, I'd sure appreciate it. While I've got a 1998, I'm sure it is similar and would sure like to check connections & continuity to the wheel tilt/extend switch. I don't have a clue as to how to get to the BCM. It's behind the glove box right?

Thanks in advance, John
Hi John. yup, the BCM is behind the glove box. Not sure if you are left- or correct-hand drive in OZ, but in my car at least the wooden airbag cover is on compression clips and just (verrrryyyyyyy) carefully pulls off four clips towards the back of the car. They are kind of 'pinch' clips, where there is a plastic 'finger' mounted to the dash (x4) and four sets of grips that mate up with those to hold the cover on. I'm assuming you have relatively high ambient temperature, so the clips shouldn't be too brittle... The cover is then restrained by two strips of what can only be described as 'scrap seat belt', so don't expect it to come all the way off. It will dangle in front of where you need to work next. Once the airbag cover is off, the various bolts to remove the glove box are revealed. V. easy process. Remove glovebox lid and inner 'bucket'. Don't forget to diconnect the various interior light wires before you try and pull the glove box. The BCM is tucked up high on the top of the transmission tunnel, mounted vertically, but readily accessible. I'd say it's roughly behind where the furthest right of the three auxiliary gauges is, on my car at least. Of course that may or ma not be reversed on a right hand drive car. If you'd like me to take pictures I certainly will, please PM or email me. It's late here now, so just wanted to get a reply off to you..

Let me know what you need mate, sorry for the delay.

K9

Johnken (08-21-2014)
Old 08-21-2014, 03:25 AM
Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by K9cop
Holy smokes! That's great information, thank you very much. That should make a module from a car with an identical VCATS sticker plug and play. Thank you!

K9

Yes but............

2. In the example above, the part number of the Body Processor Module is identified as:
LJA 2500AG/055.
In the above, the basic part number LJA 2500AG has been programmed during vehicle
manufacture for the specific market and features of the vehicle concerned, and is identified as
/055.
This would be the complete part number for a replacement BPM for the vehicle concerned,
if it were necessary to order one from Jaguar Parts Operations.
Note that the suffix /055 (in the example above) does
not appear on the label on

the CM concerned. This number appears only on the VCATS label of the vehicle.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:54 AM

Gotcha. So essentially I need a BPM from someone parting out a 197 Xk8 Convertible with an identically coded module as my car, i.e. an original unit from a car with an identical coding for the BPM on the VCATS sticker in the boot.
Thanks!

K9

Old 08-21-2014, 07:00 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

But what do you do if your car does not have a VCATS label and you need to replace
One of the modules, Is the version number / firmware ver listed on the modules ?

Old 08-21-2014, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,819 Likes on 2,246 Posts

The modules do not have the subscript code. A helpful service manager may be able to provide the information from your VIN.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:01 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,214 Likes on 1,703 Posts

If I am reading you post correctly I am not sure it is a BCM problem. If your car is not starting intermittently in “P” or “N” then you should be looking at the adjustment of the shifter cable first. It is imperative that the linkage be in synch with the transmission control module and the shifter selector in the car and on the transmission. The linkage on the left side of the transmission and threw the internal linkage it operates a shifter selector switch on the right of the transmission that selector must be in synch with the shifter selector switch in the car, one of them could be defective. It could also be the exciter ring at you key ring.

If the BCM is a problem you can have yours rebuilt.

Link http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto.../jagxk1997.pdf
Link http://www.jagrepair.com/images/TSB/307-01-1.pdf
Link http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...ch%205HP24.pdf

Last edited by Gus; 08-21-2014 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Added new link
K9cop (08-21-2014)
Old 08-21-2014, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Gus
If I am reading you post correctly I am not sure it is a BCM problem. If your car is not starting intermittently in “P” or “N” then you should be looking at the adjustment of the shifter cable first. It is imperative that the linkage be in synch with the transmission control module and the shifter selector in the car and on the transmission. The linkage on the left side of the transmission and threw the internal linkage it operates a shifter selector switch on the right of the transmission that selector must be in synch with the shifter selector switch in the car, one of them could be defective. It could also be the exciter ring at you key ring.

If the BCM is a problem you can have yours rebuilt.

Link http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto.../jagxk1997.pdf
Link http://www.jagrepair.com/images/TSB/307-01-1.pdf
Link http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...ch%205HP24.pdf
Thanks Gus, there's where was originally too, but I have not been able to establish if the selector switch will cut off voltage to the fuel pump and coils but allow cranking. If I physicaly 'close' the fuel pump relay, the pump works fine but car still does not start. Also the mounting points of the shifter (the three plastic ones) are broken so I've bought a replacement. Can I bridge an terminals across the plug of the selector switch (if I disconnect it alongside the tunnel) to convince the car it is working correctly?

Thank you, K9

Old 08-21-2014, 09:28 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Check your PM

Old 08-25-2014, 08:32 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

How did you make out?