Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 10:48 AM
Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ECU

Wasn’t my case, but worth the check

Old 07-25-2018, 01:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello Danny,

God....... Just read your story..... I suppose you speak french? The only way I could comment is "J'ai mon (mot d'église...) de voyage"...

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. I'll do with the other shop in FL. Your car runs OK since the last repair?

As for me, the problem happens when the weather is above 25 degrees... Below 25 degrees outside, it happens but rarely. Only when driving a few hours... Symptom is loss of power when accelerating. Then the 2 messages "engine fault / poor engine performance". After a while (I don't stop driving...) message still there but engine is OK... Sometimes I stop at a gas station and when I strart again, no messages and no loss of power........ ??????? Go figure... Weird, I read a lot and I'm the only one that mention hot weather....

As for the rain (oldmots comment), since I bought the car, only happened once that I drove in the rain... But I'll check that too...

I'll do a good test friday 27th, I'm going to Granby, 5 hours driving. To the "Granby International", (voitures anciennes de Granby).

For car like this, it's very frustrating. Hoping my english is correct...

Thanks again, I'll keep you informed !

Old 07-25-2018, 01:42 PM
Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Robin,

I do speak french, but will stick to english here for the benefits of the others. Other things I would double check in your case:
- low or poor (old) battery; these ECU are sensitive to low voltage and do stange things after a low peak.
- might want to reset the computers (unplug the battery and short positive and negative wires for 10 sec. Capacitors discharge and ECU are reseted.) In might case, it allowed me to finish my trips before it goes back in « limp mode »
- might be a real physical or mechanical problem too, like an injector doing a bad job when too warm, plugs, or else. Not a pro in that area.

cheers and enjoy you trip to Granby !

Old 07-25-2018, 02:01 PM
Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Dt_danny
Hi Robin,

I had my ECM rebuilt a few times successfully at ASI. Basically every second year I had to rebuilt.

I have to admit that last time wasn't great at all. I suspect changes in their business, but long story made short, I had to return my unit 3 times, every time they said the car was the problem, it took a few months of wait time each time, special parts ordering, paid more than expected, and etc and when plugged in, worked for less than 5 minutes before running on 7 cylinders again. So I had to revert to another plan.

I found off eBay a seller that seems to do a similar job. I was even able to get 2 ECM real fast, even before sending my unit to them for rebuilt - so with the paypal protection, I gave them a try. They were the first to ask me if my car had an EGR valve or not, probably because they didn't had my unit in hands before sending a replacement http://site.ecudoctors.com/images/EC...e-Location.pdf I even paid a bit extra to have a second ECM that I keep in the trunk as a spare, with the proper tools to do the swap roadside if ever I get stuck on the road. Their parts and repairs even carry a 5 year warranty !

I would highly recommend them before ASI today. Both business would ship to canada no problem (I am from Montreal area), simply expect an extra duty and taxes.

Specialized ECU Repair

800-328-1425

www.ecudoctors.com

I‘ve had used them too, no problems since 2013...........

Old 07-25-2018, 02:02 PM

Hey thanks again!

All the mechanical possible problems have been checked by my mechanic, but I think the battery is old... I'll surely do the resetting of the computers as you mentioned, and I'll do a visual inspection of the ECU...

Your concern in my situation is a lot appreciated!

Old 07-25-2018, 03:22 PM

Hum, being a french canadian, need a little help.... ! You wrote;

***unplug the battery and short positive and negative wires for 10 sec. Capacitors discharge and ECU are reseted.***

"short positive and negative wires" means connecting them together ???

Thanks!

Old 07-25-2018, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,414 Likes on 1,563 Posts

Originally Posted by Robin Gaudreault
Hum, being a french canadian, need a little help.... ! You wrote;

***unplug the battery and short positive and negative wires for 10 sec. Capacitors discharge and ECU are reseted.***

"short positive and negative wires" means connecting them together ???

Thanks!
Gus explains it with pictures:
JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Bonne chance!

The following users liked this post:
Robin Gaudreault (07-26-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 06:23 AM

Merci !!! Wow Gus! Congrats, what a fantastic web site! Thumbs up !!!

Last edited by Robin Gaudreault; 07-26-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Gus (07-26-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 06:19 PM
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

ECM Fan (LJB2412BA = Papst 8412L + resistor) is ok?

----

Attached Files

Last edited by tlindi; 11-04-2018 at 06:25 PM.
michaelh (11-24-2019)
Old 11-05-2018, 09:17 PM

Thanks ! I'll check that next spring, car is now in a heated garage!

Old 06-28-2023, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dt_danny
Hi Robin,

I had my ECM rebuilt a few times successfully at ASI. Basically every second year I had to rebuilt.

I have to admit that last time wasn't great at all. I suspect changes in their business, but long story made short, I had to return my unit 3 times, every time they said the car was the problem, it took a few months of wait time each time, special parts ordering, paid more than expected, and etc and when plugged in, worked for less than 5 minutes before running on 7 cylinders again. So I had to revert to another plan.

I found off eBay a seller that seems to do a similar job. I was even able to get 2 ECM real fast, even before sending my unit to them for rebuilt - so with the paypal protection, I gave them a try. They were the first to ask me if my car had an EGR valve or not, probably because they didn't had my unit in hands before sending a replacement http://site.ecudoctors.com/images/EC...e-Location.pdf I even paid a bit extra to have a second ECM that I keep in the trunk as a spare, with the proper tools to do the swap roadside if ever I get stuck on the road. Their parts and repairs even carry a 5 year warranty !

I would highly recommend them before ASI today. Both business would ship to canada no problem (I am from Montreal area), simply expect an extra duty and taxes.

Specialized ECU Repair

800-328-1425

www.ecudoctors.com
Dt_danny ( and for the benefit of all that may be concerned ) I found a shop in Toronto, had a great expérience with them, ECM repaired, 1 week turnaround including shipping time, I'm in Saguenay, Québec, Canada.

www.dashboardinstrumentcluster.com

Very courteous, fast, reliable.