XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

97 xk8 with issues, need help please!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 xk8 with issues, need help please!!

Hi everyone

i have a few issues, the majority i have found solution too, others i am not so sure what is happening or is there a fix, i will list, a few are minor but i want to fix them all.

main issues.

1, engine after warming up at a stop will sometimes show low oil pressure, if placed in to neutral it is fine and while driving it is fine, any ideas?

2. important one, transmission this is interesting. the car has 98,000 miles on it and has not been maintained, all the tensioners and heads were just replaced by previous owner $4800,
i purchased the car but within 30 miles i got a transmission fault. the atf that came out was filthy and black. the fault code was a stuck off torque converter solenoid, there are 3 such solenoids so we had no idea which one to replace, called jaguar they had no idea either. we took a chance tested the ohms / resistance to all 3 but they were all the same, filter was changed gasket changed and the fluid was changed 5 times to remove as much of the old contaminants as possible, fluid is now red.

the transmission will drive in manual selection all the way up to 3rd but no further in drive you get an instant transmission fault dont have it handy but it was from memory the control module, it is going in to a transmission shop on thursday. looking to see if you guys have had a similar experience and what was the fix.

3. drivers seat manual tilt latch does not work all the switches do, any idea is it a cable and where would i get one?

4. passenger seat manually tilts moves forward and back on the switch but not the back forward and back, the switch seems to be physically broken , any idea on parts?

5. the top latch is extremely slow, i have the jagwrangers switch but dont want to put it in until everything moves faster, i have new fluid but have no idea how to change it without causing issues, any help appreciated.

6. is there any tips for getting the front nose off, it is cracked and needs repaired just like the bmw 840 on wheeler dealers. i actually bought the same stuff they used from a uk supplier i will advise how well it works and provide pictures.

thats pretty much it, everything else is cosmetic, door dings and a drivers rear quarter that had a bad repair, anyone in the upstate new york area good with paintless dent removal? looking to keep the cost as low as possible.

any way my wife thinks im nuts but i dont care, i now have a pet my kitty cat.

any way thanks for looking and i will post pictures as i fix all these bits

Old 04-03-2012, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,989 Likes on 2,125 Posts

1. Drop the oil pan and check for debris or sludge on the oil pump sump screen. If it is clean, you may have oil pump issues.

5. Suck the fluid out of the resevoir with a vacuum tool like this: Brake Bleeder & Brake Bleeder Vacuum Pump Kit It may take a couple of flushes of the system (with operation of the top in between) to clean out the old gelled fluid.

General: Get yourself a copy of the JTIS CD or download it (see faq sticky). And don't forget to inspect your secondary tensioners.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 04-03-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently had the same low oil pressure problem with my 99' XK8 and had I knew it was the oil pump going bad or the sludge build up I could have prevented blowing my engine. Don't drive it at all till fixed.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks . Took the car to a transmission shop wanted $3000 to rebuild it. I bought a used one with 50k on it instead. I will rebuild the original myself.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:26 PM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts

#5 - If you are going to refresh the fluid you might consider a system upgrade.

My top latch rebuild was $160 (Top Hydraulics), it began leaking a year after I upgraded the hoses after the originals failed. Consider new hoses from Coliflower (~$300) and a pressure reduction valve (~$300 LSI Controls) or similar device. Much discussion on this topic on the fourm and at Gus' website.

Splurge and get the ~$200 key fob top activator from WhiteXKR on the forum and you'll end up with a durable, trick top system.

Now that I add it up, nearly $1,000 is a lot just to have a functioning top. That's with my own labor, too!

Last edited by Spurlee; 04-07-2012 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-07-2012, 10:45 PM
dx3
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm dealing with the low oil pressure issue myself... I know I don't have sludge in the system, so am going to check the sensor before I replace anything. From what I understand, the oil pump is a pretty big job and I don't want to drop the oil pan unless I have to... From past experiences - taking it off is pretty simple, it's getting that gasket back on with no leaks that is the issue.