Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 xk8 rear view mirror connection

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 12:39 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 97 xk8 rear view mirror connection

Hello,
I was wondering if any one had an explode diagram of the wiring harness in a 1997 xk8 convertabile for some reason the wiring to my rear view mirror is cut where it comes out from underneath the roof liner at the windshield. The car does not have auto lights or a rain sensor feature. The mirror looks fine but does have a power icon on it in the lower center with two led lights on either side of it. Is LJA300AE the right harness for it?

Old 10-22-2014, 10:11 PM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts
Default Hope this helps as I'm having a similar problem

Originally Posted by J8levi
Hello,
I was wondering if any one had an explode diagram of the wiring harness in a 1997 xk8 convertabile for some reason the wiring to my rear view mirror is cut where it comes out from underneath the roof liner at the windshield. The car does not have auto lights or a rain sensor feature. The mirror looks fine but does have a power icon on it in the lower center with two led lights on either side of it. Is LJA300AE the right harness for it?

I'm betting that my '99 is similar with the exception that mine has the auto headlight feature which includes a setting button on the backside of the mirror. That extra feature makes what is in yours a three wire connector into the four wire connector that mine has.

Under the roof console, which must be taken off VERY carefully and VERY gingerly you should look for a BLUE 3 wire female connector to the right of center just below the roof header panel.

The electrical schematics in the JTIS show a slightly different arrangement for each year for '97 - '98 - '99 with your '97 making some notations about early production cars having a total of 6 wires including one for side marker lights being on and convertible top being down as well as the normal ground wire, reverse gear being engaged, mirror tint output, and one that goes to the driver's side fuse #16 (5 Amp)

Now you might ask if it shows as many as SIX wires how is it your looking for a THREE wire connector. Good question.

Let's assume for a moment your car ISN'T an early production version. That eliminates 2 wires so your down to just 4, and of those 4 at least one of those probably doesn't actually connect up in the roof console.

For example my '99 shows a schematic with FIVE wires including the auto headlight feature, yet there is only a FOUR wire connector. I am also missing a wire and I think the answer is that the MISSING wire is only there if you ALSO have electroluminescent side mirrors to which that extra wire would go as shown in the schematic so that all three mirrors would react at the same time. Without those type side mirrors that extra wire wouldn't be needed. With me so far???<G><G>

I also have one sitting in front of me that is supposedly from a '98 (don't ask why) without the auto headlights and it also has only THREE wires like I think yours might be. If I'm correct, and I'm making some assumptions here, this is probably what yours looks like THREE wire female plug as I first described should be what your looking for. I can't say with any certainty that it's blue because there's nothing in the schematics that states connector color but it is blue on the '98 that I'm staring at. As for the colors of the wires themselves the schematics have been more often wrong than right on that score. Just match the wire color of those in your mirror with whatever you find in the console.

You have removed, or do know how to remove, the back of the mirror stock itself so you can get a good look at the wires.

The wiring schematics I'm using are contained in the JTIS under the year and model and can be found in section 11 subsection 11.4 and section 1 subsection 1.4

If you mirror turns out to be defective (mine is as evidenced by it being about 80% darkened with the fluid slowly drifting up or down depending on how I hold the mirror) you' find good ones hard to find and in the area of $100. There is also reported to be a company in Illinois I think that repairs them for about $95 so it's a toss-up.

Hope this helps if I've confused you ask me to clarify and tell me more about what wires your mirror actual has...3 or 4...or more????

Old 03-20-2017, 10:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question xk8 rearview mirror replacement

i need to replace my 98 xk8 rearview mirror - it is a donnelly 011530 with 6 wires [black,brown,gray,green,white,yellow] + a yellow connector

i see available units with 3 + 8 wires

1=my question is if i buy one of these and just do not connect the wires will the mirror function function just as an ordinary mirror?

2= or will the cat get upset because the mirror is not connected?

3= if i buy a 3 wire unit can i just connect the 3 wires to make it happy?

4= if i buy an 8 wire unit can i just connect 6 wires to make it happy?

Old 03-20-2017, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Bob, I do not believe using a disconnected mirror will cause any compatibility issues.

The mirror performs several electronic functions.
1 dimming by pressing the button on the bottom. Green led lights to indicate dimmed.

2 auto headlights - photo sensor on rear facing forward senescence light level. Below are certain threshold grounds blue wire sending ground to bottom of turn signal stalk. Lights go on, mirror dims if button in.
3 Reverse, reverse engaged overrides dim so you can see behind you best.
4 rain sensor diode on rear of mirror scans a cross hatch design on windshield up where mirror mounts. As I recall, reflectivity changes when drops of water present.

As I type a question hit me. From what you said, isn't current mirror disconnected? Just thinking that would prove first statement (all okay without connections).

Hope this helps.

John

Old 04-28-2022, 02:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 into 8?

Hi there -- I am in the same boat: I bought a replacement mirror for my 1998 XK8... but turns out I bought an 8 wire mirror (white plug) instead of the 6 wire mirror (yellow plug) I need. Does anyone know if it's possible to simply connect my 8 wires (auto headlights etc) and ignore the two in the plug I can't use? Or will this just not work. Apologies to all the enthusiasts here -- there are some serious holes in my knowledge of electrical engineering!

cheers for any help
Michael

Originally Posted by Johnken
Bob, I do not believe using a disconnected mirror will cause any compatibility issues.

The mirror performs several electronic functions.
1 dimming by pressing the button on the bottom. Green led lights to indicate dimmed.

2 auto headlights - photo sensor on rear facing forward senescence light level. Below are certain threshold grounds blue wire sending ground to bottom of turn signal stalk. Lights go on, mirror dims if button in.
3 Reverse, reverse engaged overrides dim so you can see behind you best.
4 rain sensor diode on rear of mirror scans a cross hatch design on windshield up where mirror mounts. As I recall, reflectivity changes when drops of water present.

As I type a question hit me. From what you said, isn't current mirror disconnected? Just thinking that would prove first statement (all okay without connections).

Hope this helps.

John

Old 04-28-2022, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts

I would imagine the only problem you'll have is will the connector mate.

Are you planning on attaching the connector from the old mirror? Does that beg the question which wire goes where?

John

Old 04-28-2022, 07:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes- that’s the plan. And before you (rightly) advise me against it because I know nothing about wiring (TRUE!) I have a mechanic to help, but I don’t want to get him started if there’s no chance it can work.

If he’s careful to match wire to wire do you think the 6 wires will work with the 8-wire mirror?

Originally Posted by Johnken
I would imagine the only problem you'll have is will the connector mate.

Are you planning on attaching the connector from the old mirror? Does that beg the question which wire goes where?

John

Old 10-11-2022, 03:07 PM
Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

I wanted to tag onto the older post as I have the same issue. Can anyone answer some questions for me?
  1. What year model had the fixed/good mirrors after the recall?
  2. Why couldn't you purchase a newer white plug 6 or 8 wire mirror and remove those wires and then re-install into an older yellow plug matching colors as I go?
  3. In my case, I would have to buy the newer white plug mirror and then also buy a yellow plug since mine has been cut off.
  4. Does anyone have a 1999 wiring schematic for mirror with auto dimming and auto headlights?
  5. Is there a better way to approach? I mainly want the auto headlight feature to start working.

Old 10-19-2022, 03:24 PM
Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

OK, it turned out to be an easy fix for me. I was able to slide the old mirror off its clip. The previous owner had already replaced the mirror and the wiring had been cut. I ordered a used unit from Ebay and was able to slide it into place today in about 10 minutes total. Replaced the overhead light bracket that had already been broken and then snapped the light fixture into place. Automatic headlights now work and that was my goal. Happy so far.

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (10-19-2022)