XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 XK8 water under back seat

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 02:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This may be simplistic, but isn't it possible a previous owner left the car out in the rain with the top down? Maybe the rain water worked its way under the back seat where it pooled but didn't evaporate because there was no ventilation. Hence the mildew, too.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I briefly considered that possibility, but I had the car for about 1 1/2 months before I made the discovery. I currently have the back seat out of the car until I can be sure the problem is solved. It rained the other day and viola, pools of water. Very frustrating. I have located the chanel the water is supposed to take and it seems to be clear. The only thing I can think of is that the top is getting saturated and letting water through. After checking out a couple of other threads on the forum, I have decided to get myself some RaggTopp protectant and see if that solves anything. I have had someone outside the car with a hose and can't see any active leaks on the inside. Saturated top is all I can come up with. Let's hope that's it! I do have to say that I feel a bit silly that I didn't know you had to do that, but hey, I'm a nubie...

Old 01-02-2011, 08:47 PM
Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Default water prob.

its quite possable that there is a restriction[sealer-undercoating] in the quarter panel area,where the water passes through to the bottom of car out of rocker panels.the missing seals make very little difference other than a fast hard rain.with back seat out and 1/4 window up,pour water on 1/4 glass and watch to see if it drains properly,if not there is a restriction..steve

Old 01-04-2011, 03:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gus correct me if i am wrong but in the trunk of our year there are 2 lines (about 3/4 inch), one on left side of the tank and 1 on the right. I accidently pulled mine loose when I was working on that gas tank problem. See if thats it Kim. They drain to the bottom of the car, I got a face full when I was under the car, thought it was gas-

Old 01-04-2011, 03:47 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by wjd03
Gus correct me if i am wrong but in the trunk of our year there are 2 lines (about 3/4 inch), one on left side of the tank and 1 on the right. I accidently pulled mine loose when I was working on that gas tank problem. See if thats it Kim. They drain to the bottom of the car, I got a face full when I was under the car, thought it was gas-
My information is based on the illustration on a parts breakdown that I attached earlier and based on that you are correct. What lead me to it was the configuration “ where is any of the water to go” I was not sure of the exact location on the drain but I do know that it has one.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:12 PM
IPG

Hi chaps,

was there ever a solution found to this? Mine has the exact same problem at the moment, although it appears to depend on whether my car is facing up or downhill!

cheers

Old 08-14-2012, 03:30 PM
IPG

Hi,

In case anyone has this problem in the future (and this thread i found quite easy to find via google so I thought i'd update...)

The water that collects under the back seat most definitely comes from, however unlikely it seems (dry headlining in proximity etc) the rear window seal. It enters via the external part of the seal, and then drips from the internal part of the seal onto the headlining, from where it makes its way along the headlining, down the side of the area where the convertible top is stored when it's down, through the metal body panel gaps, and ends up in the rear seat well. some silicone under the window seal will solve this problem (as, I imagine, would a replacement seal) and you'll have a nice dry Jaguar again.

Hope that helps!