Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'99 XK8 4.0 injector replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 11:52 AM
Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Smile '99 XK8 4.0 injector replacement

'99 XK8 Convertible 94,000 mi.
Hi All: I just replaced the injectors. Not very hard at all. Patients and attention to detail.
First I blew of the top of the engine and around each injector with my air compressor. Clean is Good. Relieve pressure on system. Left fuel rail has test port. Looks like the top of a tire stem.
There are two sets of clips to be removed. Electrical connections and fuel rod. I put a rag under the area in case you drop a clip. I did the electrical connectors first. Using a small flat screw driver on the bottom of the connector push the clip out. Sometimes they fly off hence the rag. Remove the connectors. Reposition rag to cover any open areas. Next remove the fuel rod clips. Again, same screw driver. Look over to the back side of the injector. You'll see the clip. The clip has a little slot, turn the screw driver and the clip will come off. ATTENTION: Remove them slowly. These clips will fly off. Try to get a pair of needle nose plyers to grab the clip as it comes out. Once the clips are out you can remove the fuel rail. Pull with steady pressure. Mine were really on there. A little wiggling and it will come off. Some times the injector comes with it. No problem. Any injectors left in the engine or rail pull straight away from the engine or rail. Once removed I used some break cleaner on a microfiber rag (no lint) and cleaned the rail and the engine ports. I payed special attention to the engine ports. There is a ridge the O ring sets in. Make sure it is very clean.
Reinstalling the injectors;
There are several different types of lube for the O rings suggested on the forum. I used AGS spark plug boot protector. Use just enough to lightly cover the O ring. I found that installing the injectors on the fuel rail worked best. Because the clips are tough to get on. At the top of the injector there are little two slots This is where the clip slides into. you'll see that the ears on the clip will attach to the fuel rail.. VERY IMPORTANT. Next lube the two other O rings. Place the injectors into the engine. You can start from the back of the engine and move forward until each is seated. Next: I found that installing the clips on the electrical connectors half way then connecting to the injectors worked best. Just push the clip forward and it will click into place. IMPORTANT: Recheck all the clips to make sure they are in their correct positions.
Start your car and check for leaks. If no leaks let the car reach temp. and test drive. Luckily mine did not.
The performance was very noticeable. Very smooth acceleration from standing stop and on the highway. At about 60 I pushed steadily down on the pedal and it kicked down to fourth gear and just pulled very smoothly to 90 without a hitch.
I hope this will help. I had never done this before. I do have some experience. I replaced the timing chains and tensioners along with the water pump etc last year. Serviced the Trans and rear end last year.
Next: Overhaul the front suspension.
Safe Driving
Mitch

Last edited by rsdmitch7; 04-19-2020 at 11:59 AM. Reason: misspelled words
The following 3 users liked this post by rsdmitch7:
cjd777 (04-21-2020), DavidYau (04-19-2020), GT'thusiast (04-20-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,360 Likes on 2,851 Posts

As fragile as the fuel injectors seem to be after all these years, congrats for taking your time and not breaking any. Well done....

Old 04-20-2020, 06:47 PM

Thanks Jon89 much appreciated.

Old 04-20-2020, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Mitch, interesting maybe I should do the same.

Hey, good description of drivability afterwards, could you tell us what "before " was like?

When doing the job, did you remove the fuel rafuel wasn't sure if I read that right.

John

Old 04-21-2020, 01:02 PM
Default Fiel Injectors '99 4.0 Eng

Originally Posted by Johnken
Mitch, interesting maybe I should do the same.

Hey, good description of drivability afterwards, could you tell us what "before " was like?

When doing the job, did you remove the fuel rafuel wasn't sure if I read that right.

John
Hi John; If I spelled it wrong sorry. Should read fuel rail. Yes you must remove the rail to install new injectors. I should have taken pictures but I'm not that computer savvy yet. There are photos on the forum so you can get a good look at them. If you loose a clip they are available form Jaguar. $12. ea. I live near NY.
Drivability before was slightly rough until it warmed completely up. If I drove it for awhile when restarting sometimes it would run really rough. I would put injector cleaner (Lucas) in every other tank full. That seemed to keep it under control. I bought refurbished injectors off Ebay. The company is here in the states. I'll look for the name and let you know. I also replaced the coils and plugs when I did the timing chains and tensioners. The coils I bought from Ebay also. Chinese made with US distributor which was rated very high. I contacted them about the coils and was satisfied they were legit. So far, over one year and no problems. If your car has a lot of miles. It might be something to think about changing. I'm going to take the car over to an old time Jag Mechanic in town an put it on a diagnostics machine. It does run much smother. Nice to hear from you.
Thanks
Mitch

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (04-21-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 01:44 PM
Default Fiel Injectors '99 4.0 Eng

Jonken;
Ebay
Fuel Injectors: 8 OEM (refurbished) Denso fuel injectors
Sold by Aniramotors
Bought 11/30/18 $107.99

Coils
Sold by: Aero-Spark
8 New Coils
$81.12
Hope this helps
Mitch

The following 3 users liked this post by rsdmitch7:
cjd777 (04-21-2020), DavidYau (04-21-2020), Johnken (04-21-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Helps a lot!!!

Yeah, I'm pushing 130,000 miles now. Once in a while I hit "flat spots" under WOT. Normally I'd think fuel filter, but it's a swinging problem maybe 1 in 10 times.

Thanks a bunch Mitch. I'll let you and everyone know how she improves afterwards.

John