XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

99 XK8 convertible - electrical glitch? door & window issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 07:16 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 99 XK8 convertible - electrical glitch? door & window issue

Hi Everyone

Thought I would see if anyone here could help me diagnose a glitch I am having with my 99 XK8 convertible.

I'm having and electrical glitch with the driver's side window.

As owners know, when you open and close the door on these convertibles, the window drops and raises automatically on these when you open and close the door.

Well, mine is only dropping down now and does not raise up.

The only issues preceding this glitch that I know of are:

(1) occasionally I would get a "rear bulb failure" warning on my display. This is something I have only seen at night with lights on and only sometimes. I am guessing it was a loose relay on a rear light.

(2) one night I got in the car and went to close the door and it wouldn't close. What happened is that the hook on the door grasp latch was in the closed/locked position and could not grasp the corresponding part on the door frame. I played with it a bit to get it to open, and eventually did and after some difficulty got the door to close and stay closed. The car then didn't start. why? I don't know. but after some more messing around and opening and closing the door, I got it to start. It's been a month now and no more problems with the door, but now I have the issue with the window not automatically going back up when the door is closed.

It DOES automatically drops down when I open the door, it just DOESN'T go back up when I close it.

Any suggestions of causes and fixes?

Thanks as always!

Old 09-02-2015, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 323 Posts

Reset the Window Memory:

1) With door closed, Raise the Window and hold Window Up Switch for 3 more seconds.

2) Repeat for Window Down

3) Repeat for other Door.

4) If Battery is low or disconnected, Window Memory must be reset as above.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Pavlik
Reset the Window Memory.

1) With door closed, Raise the Window and hold Window Up Switch for 3 more seconds.

2) Repeat for Window Down

3) Repeat for other Door.

4) If Battery is low or disconnected, Window Memory must be reset as above.
So bottom line: If this fixes the problem, and then it comes back again soon, either your battery needs a charge or needs to be replaced.

Old 09-05-2015, 03:47 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you all very much... that certainly fixed the problem. I didn't get an owners manual when I bought the car, so I appreciate the 411. Unfortunately another issue happened right after this was resolved. I'm about to put another post about it. But thank you for the info on this issue

Old 12-14-2015, 07:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same issue...routinely. Even down to the door latch being in the closed position. U have to manually open it like you did. The windows, door latch, and locks are all tied into each other. Not sure why it messes up. I reset it and eventually it comes back and is messed up again. Frustrating. Hope yours doesnt return.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Originally Posted by hoya_loya
I have the same issue...routinely. Even down to the door latch being in the closed position. U have to manually open it like you did. The windows, door latch, and locks are all tied into each other. Not sure why it messes up. I reset it and eventually it comes back and is messed up again. Frustrating. Hope yours doesnt return.
Have you had your battery load tested?...a weak battery is the most frequent cause. It is free at Autozone or Advance Auto.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:42 AM
Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi - this door window issue can also be caused by a faulty microswitch which is part of the door lock mechanism. If this fails, the window will not rise up as the door shuts and also you will notice the "driver's (or passenger's") door open warning does not come on nor does the footwell light.

I had this very problem and tried all the above methods - only to find that it was the microswitch all along. Once replaced, everything worked perfectly.

This part is available through your local Jaguar dealer and cost me just over £20. I fitted it myself in about 2 hours....although it was a fiddly job as you have to remove the door lock completely...be prepared for bruised/scratched hands and a fair bit of swearing!

A garage could do it, but they would probably charge a lot, plus they would want to replace the whole loch mechanism...which is a pity as the microswitch itself is quite easy to replace really.

There is a very good video on you tube which shows the whole procedure at :

and the microswitch part number is C2N1908

I hope this helps.

Regards

The following users liked this post:
cgaechief (06-04-2023)
Old 12-15-2015, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

This sounds more like a low battery or ground issue to me as if it's the micro switch it will not start working after a window reset.

Any way should you feel the need to investigate/replace the micro switch see this post starting at post 6 for my adventure.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...roject-118210/

I recently had an issue with my window only on the drivers side not working correctly, would do a reset and would work a few times and the problem would return. Deteriorated to the point where the car was completely dead one day. Turned out to be the main ground strap on the battery was bad. Replaced the battery ground strap and no more issues for over 6 months now.

Last edited by Jandreu; 12-15-2015 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. I had the same issue with the windows going down a bit with each oddr opening, but not going back up. I reset the end points of travel (up, hold button, down, hold button) and they work fine for the moment. But I will check the battery...sounds like the culprit!

Old 12-20-2015, 11:33 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Spray WD40 into the door latch and then work the door before taking it apart. Often lubricating the door latch mechanism is forgotten but necessary.

cgaechief (06-04-2023)
Old 06-04-2023, 03:03 PM
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

ANDYZEG,

I have a 06 XK8. About a month ago I had an issue pop up with the passenger window. When I pull the handle to open the door the window drops down like it should, but as soon as the handle is released the window goes back up to the fully closed position. If I close the door the window is on the outside of the top. Of course, if I hold the handle in the open position to keep the window down, it won’t latch. I have done the window down and hold the switch until it clicks several times to try and reprogram it, but it has not changed the behavior of the window. The driver’s window works as it should.

I have been messing with it for too long. I have asked several XK8/R folks I know for suggestions, and nothing has worked. Today after searching the forum I came across your post and the video. No doubt it had to be my "Open/Close" microswith. I figure I would try to unstick it before i tore the door apart. So, basically I opened the passenger door and I doused the area in and around the latch with contact cleaner. I exercised the door latch several times and no change. I then got out the WD40 and doused the area around the latch. I exercised the latch many times and nothing. I sprayed the area again while I operated the latch and all of a sudden the window went down.

It now works perfectly. So, glad I do not have to tear the door apart to fix it. I had to come back here and thank you for taking the time to post your fix. So, thank you ever so much, Mark

Gus (06-08-2023)
Old 06-05-2023, 06:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,379 Likes on 2,860 Posts

WD-40 lubrication spray of the microswitches is a temporary fix. It worked for me for a few months, but we eventually had to replace the door latch assembly microswitches (both doors) with more robust versions from mouser.com. That was more than four years ago and all has been well with the door lock / window operation since then....