XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

99 XK8 convertible - electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 09:42 AM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Lot's of good input here....like I said before I HATE electrical issues...my solution (and I'm not trying to me a smart ***) buy one of those jumper boxes like the AAA guys carry...they work amazingly well lol

Old 06-28-2019, 06:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going to try the Fancasee Indoor FM Antenna 75 Ohm T-Type/Y-Type Dipole Antenna Male F Connector Plug Jack Coax Coaxial Cable Wire Antenna for Table Top Home Stereo Receiver Radios from amaz*n and mount them in the back and disable the antenna altogether.

Last edited by cjdee; 06-28-2019 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:34 PM
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

wrong thread, deleted and moved

Last edited by SunFlower; 09-21-2019 at 07:40 PM. Reason: wrong thread
Old 05-12-2024, 08:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99xk8guy
Hi Everyone

Thought I would see if anyone here could help me diagnose a glitch I am having with my 99 XK8 convertible.

I'm having been having some various electrical glitches and was wondering if anyone can help me sort out the cause(s).

HISTORY
(1) occasionally I would get a "REAR BULB FAILURE" warning on my display. This is something occurs about 5% of the time I apply the breaks.

(2) one night I got in the car and went to close the door and it wouldn't close. What happened is that the hook on the door grasp latch was in the closed/locked position and could not grasp the corresponding part on the door frame. I played with it a bit to get it to open, and eventually did and after some difficulty got the door to close and stay closed. The car then didn't start. why? I don't know, but after some more messing around and opening and closing the door, I got it to start. It's been a month now and no more problems with the door closing, but the WINDOW MEMORY went out a week ago. Some kind people here helped me sort that out. I drove off on a hour trip. When I got to my destination I cracked the windows a bit to keep the car cooler, and I noticed the antenna didn't go down all the way (left about an inch up). When I came back to drive home the car was completely DEAD. It didnt even TRY to start up, there was NO POWER at all. Lights didn't work, the automatic truck release didn't work, etc. With the windows issue and all, I thought, "well its the battery". So I tried to jump it - with two different cars... no luck - not any response. The only thing I noticed was TWO RED WARNING LIGHTS one on the oil pressure and one on the gauge on the other side of the clock (I forget what that is- maybe the charging). these stayed on even when the key was not in. Lost, I made arrangements to get it towed to a dealership and went to get a rental. When the tow came I asked to see if we could try a jump one last time. The tow guy had a jumper kit rather than jumper cables and it started up immediately. I was a bit dumbfounded having tried jumper cables twice just 90 minutes before. Well I said let me see what happens if I cut the engine and try again without the jump. Well, this time everything worked fine. I turned on the headlights and started it. They did not dim at all (making me think the battery was fine). I turned it off and restarted it about five more times with no issue. The battery hadn't been charged, that was not likely the issue. I reset the window memory and restarted, shut off and restarted it again, so it didn't repeat the issue that had happened before, with me fixing the memory, driving and it dying.

Since I already had the rental car, I parked the jag in a safe place and will pick it up after the 3 day weekend. Clearly something is going on and now I am getting concerned about taking long trips with her.

GIVEN THE HISTORY OF THESE ISSUES WHAT DO YOU THINK IT COULD BE?

Thanks for any suggestions!
you may try this. Your car may or may not have this but it sure does sound like the same issue I was having. In the trunk by the battery there is a little yellow or orange box that the positive wire from the battery goes into if you have that box that box has gone bad there is a relay with contacts in that box and the contacts get corroded and will not deliver enough voltage and will confuse the computer in the car just delete that box that is an aftermarket device that I believe the Jaguar dealers installed. When it is working it is supposed to turn off the battery voltage if the battery voltage gets too low but through the years the contacts fail and cause all kinds of problems try this it may just solve all your issues.

Old 05-22-2024, 07:26 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Could you be a little more specific as to the component in or near the battery compartment of which you write. Photos would also be helpful. In my 2003 Jag XK8, the positive battery cable goes directly to the master (500 amp & 250 amp) fuses.
Check my 5/8/2024 post for the exact same electrical issue described above by 98xk8guy.

Last edited by Paul1940; 05-22-2024 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-23-2024, 01:43 PM
Default Reply to electric issue

Originally Posted by Paul1940
Could you be a little more specific as to the component in or near the battery compartment of which you write. Photos would also be helpful. In my 2003 Jag XK8, the positive battery cable goes directly to the master (500 amp & 250 amp) fuses.
Check my 5/8/2024 post for the exact same electrical issue described above by 98xk8guy.

Yes i will try to send pics today. But if you start with the positive terminal at the battery, the follow it up to the back of the trunk area. If you have this electric box, the other end of the positive cable will be attached to that unit. ( it goes inline with the positive battery cable) it will be yellow or orange i believe. Also another way to know if you have one of these battery saver boxes in your jag is to unplug the positive cable from battery, and then in about 3 minutes, then re attach positive cable back to battery. You will hear a noise like a electric valve so make sure your in a quiet area. I took mine off my jag but will send some pics where to find it. Oh and if you do have the battery saver box, all you do is simply disconnect the other side of it and place the terminal on your positive post on battery. You will see that this terminal that you take off the other side of the power saver box is actually the original Jaguar battery terminal the Box just goes right in line with it simply remove the box then I'm sorry it's so confusing it's kind of hard to describe but I will help as much as I can. Thanks again
Show quoted text

---------- Forwarded message ----------
To: Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum <noreply@jaguarforums.com>
Cc:
Bcc:
Date: Thu, 23 May 2024 14:35:27 -0400
Subject: Re: Reply to thread '99 XK8 convertible - electrical issues'
----- Message truncated -----

Old 05-23-2024, 02:42 PM
Default Pics.

The first one is the picture of what the battery saver should look like if you have one installed. Second picture is what to check for if you do not have the battery saver box it is the electric connections from the battery those tend to corrode and get loose they must be perfectly clean I hope this helps. By the way, my name is Bob I use my wife's email and her name is Carol LOL! It's a pleasure to meet you.

Battery saver

Old 05-23-2024, 02:46 PM
Default Pi

Pic 2

Old 05-24-2024, 08:16 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Battery issue.

Originally Posted by Jagbob1966
you may try this. Your car may or may not have this but it sure does sound like the same issue I was having. In the trunk by the battery there is a little yellow or orange box that the positive wire from the battery goes into if you have that box that box has gone bad there is a relay with contacts in that box and the contacts get corroded and will not deliver enough voltage and will confuse the computer in the car just delete that box that is an aftermarket device that I believe the Jaguar dealers installed. When it is working it is supposed to turn off the battery voltage if the battery voltage gets too low but through the years the contacts fail and cause all kinds of problems try this it may just solve all your issues.
Just bought a new battery. After a few minutes cleaning terminals and mounting the new battery attempted to start the engine. Started OK, when moving the car, the engine sputtered and cut out. Started it again and I slowly raised the RPM in 500 increments until I hit 3,000 and it cut out again and died.

I reset the window limits initially because I read about this.

Is there another 'reset' I need to do to get everything back in order? Or is this another cable related glitch I need to trace?

Appreciate any info I can get

Old 05-28-2024, 12:49 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

There is NO Priority Battery Box in my car which I have had for over four years. It is not part of my issues with the NO START syndrome.

Old 05-28-2024, 09:36 PM
Received 142 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Atilla
Just bought a new battery. After a few minutes cleaning terminals and mounting the new battery attempted to start the engine. Started OK, when moving the car, the engine sputtered and cut out. Started it again and I slowly raised the RPM in 500 increments until I hit 3,000 and it cut out again and died.

I reset the window limits initially because I read about this.

Is there another 'reset' I need to do to get everything back in order? Or is this another cable related glitch I need to trace?

Appreciate any info I can get
You might want to check the fuel pressure. Flaky fuel pumps can cause similar symptoms.