XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

99 XK8 wiring loom behind engine bolt size ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2021, 04:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 99 XK8 wiring loom behind engine bolt size ?

Hey all, first post here after following this great forum for a few years.

​​​​​​I've owned the 99 xk8 for 2 enjoyable years and would like to think I saved it from being parted out; hence the username Feral XK8.

To keep it on the road I swapped the motor for a newer year, lower mileage, with new timing / tensioners etc.

I also have a long laundry list of things done, thanks to this forum.

Still after a couple of years and (still) chasing some codes, I finally noticed that the wiring loom at the rear of the motor/top of trans is not bolted in. Probably forgotten when the motor was swapped.

From what I can tell, it looks like 2 bolts are needed to attach the plastic / metal housing to the back of the engine.

1) Not being bolted, would this cause any grounding issues ?

2) Does anyone know the size / thread and how many of the bolts needed to reattach housing ?

Many thanks, AJ

​​​​​

Old 08-17-2021, 09:07 PM
Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

I think wire chaffing might be your only problem and for the life of me, I can't remember the bolt size.

Old 08-17-2021, 11:24 PM

Much thanks Johns55,

Yes the large multi plug on the firewall is what I'm needing bolt size for.

Do you think there's a chance that any connections downstream lose ground if not multiplug not bolted?

Do you remember from experience if there was only two bolts, or grommets or anything else ?

Thanks again, AJ

99xk8

Old 08-18-2021, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 417 Likes on 308 Posts
Talking

If you are talking about the bracket with all the wiring that straddles the bell housing on rear of engine right at/under the firewall - on mine it took four bolts. I had to remove them to get a little extra room when replacing the octopus hose and aux coolant pump. They were very hard to get to, and I only got two of the four back on. On my car (2006) there are two on each side. 10mm heads, about 3/4" long, not sure about the thread.

Old 08-18-2021, 12:20 PM

Jimmy awesome ! Huge thanks, yes not much room back there. I'm just hoping to get one bolt in to stop the slight movement; and maybe solve some doubtful but possible ground or wiring issues

Best, AJ
99xk8

Old 08-18-2021, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

I think you're going to have to get in there with a couple handfuls of nuts and try'm until you find your huckAHberry.

If it's like mine the bolt is built into the multiplug unit itself, then ya grab the whole unit and twist and push a little until the built in bolt finds it's home in the cradle/basket/cage that the multiplug rests in. From there, bolt end sticking out and multiplug in place,,, the nut secures it to the cage/basket...

Again, if it's like mine. A 2002.

Old 08-18-2021, 06:07 PM

Jay Jag,

Huge thanks for the heads up, I was wondering if it was a set-up like that . Sounds like grommets may be involved or set in the multiplug ?

Had actually been reading one of your old posts from a few years back when you were dealing with it.

​​Might call the dealer and see what parts dept pulls up on diagrams. The motor was swapped and the bolts aren't in the back of the bell housing of new motor-- if it fits in the way that it sounds like you're describing.

Also it seems there's no bolts or fittings in the holes of the multiplug housing either.

I just hope to get one bolt in or even zip-tie it if there's no grounding need.

That's also what I'm wondering-- if that multiplug acts as a ground being bolted up to bell housing ?

Best and thanks for your insight, AJ
99xk8

Old 08-19-2021, 07:50 AM
Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

I don't think the bolt acts as a ground.

Old 08-20-2021, 11:26 AM

Thanks John, calling parts department at dealer today. Hopeful to get some part numbers.

Old 08-20-2021, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by Feral XK8
Jay Jag,

Huge thanks for the heads up, I was wondering if it was a set-up like that . Sounds like grommets may be involved or set in the multiplug ?

Had actually been reading one of your old posts from a few years back when you were dealing with it.

​​Might call the dealer and see what parts dept pulls up on diagrams. The motor was swapped and the bolts aren't in the back of the bell housing of new motor-- if it fits in the way that it sounds like you're describing.

Also it seems there's no bolts or fittings in the holes of the multiplug housing either.

I just hope to get one bolt in or even zip-tie it if there's no grounding need.

That's also what I'm wondering-- if that multiplug acts as a ground being bolted up to bell housing ?

Best and thanks for your insight, AJ
99xk8
No worries... But now I'm thinking I misunderstood ya...

The cage itself is what you're needing bolts for???

If so, same approach. I would get a general sense of how deep a bolt shaft ya need and either dig in the spare nutts and bolts bin (I can't believe what I have accumulated in these 4 short years) and find a way to bolt the cage to the tranny/engine OR find any bolt that fits it for the thread and pitch, then go to the hardware store to get a set. There is nothing really special about the bolt - it's not responsible for any outstanding job - if ya know what I mean?

Also, get hands on the multi plug and try and do the same. I had/have a flood car so in the process of chasing down a mother list of codes at first (it's a 2004) I had the multi plug separated a few times. Anyways, I think the most important bolts (if yours is in fact missing) is the one that holds the two halves of the plug together when in place. I thought that it was a captured bolt from memory, but if not I am pretty sure any longish skinny bolt will do. 10mm head. If it's toooo long fill the gap with a McGuyver like spacer and snug it down.

Hmm, the bolt nutt set up, how to replace it and fix it INTO the multiplug, for me, now that's a mystery and if it is missing I would love to hear how you solve that problem. The last guy in there must have TRIED to lose that bolt. I mean,,, it's captured into the plug. Sheesh.