XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Aaaaaaaah! %$##@^%# Opportunists!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 11:52 AM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

THE XKR DOES USE A DIFFERANT PUMP OVER THE NA ENGINE. AND THAT 800+ PRICE IS FOR A FUEL PUMP MODULE WHICH MEENS ITS IN A PLASTIC CAN WITH LINE FITTINGS, SENDER AND CHECK VALVE. YOU CAN BUY A PUMP FOR IT AND TAKE THE CAN APART AND CHANGE JUST THE PUMP LIKE THIS ONE AT PARTSGEEKS FOR $125 PLUS THE SCREEN
03 2003 Jaguar XJR Fuel Pump - Fuel Delivery - Fuel Injection Corp. - PartsGeek
BUT ILL FORWARN YOU NOW, THAT CHECK VALVE KEEPS PRESSURE IN THE SYSTEM FOR A QUICK RESTART. AND TAKING THE MODULE APART DOES LEAD TO THE CHECK VALVE BREAKING AND OR COMING APART LATER AND LEADS TO LONGER THAN NORMAL CRANKING.......
YOURE WELCOME

The following 4 users liked this post by Brutal:
H20boy (09-28-2011), Silver2002XKR (12-18-2021), WhiteXKR (09-28-2011), XKR (10-03-2011)
Old 09-28-2011, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 403 Posts

I sympathize with the OP about the ridiculous prices for the parts and pieces of these cars but, when I bought my 2005 XKR in 2008, I sort of braced myself that expensive parts and repairs were probably part of the territory when you picked up semi-exotic (let's not get into a discussion again about what "exotic" means) cars. When you get these on the secondary market, you are paying a fraction of the price that they went for when new. So you are ahead of the game at that end. But you make up for it when you have to bite the bullet on repairs, particularly if you go to official Jaguar dealers.

If I had not had the extended warranty on my 2005 XKR, I would have been hopping mad if I had to pay the $2,000 for the convertible hose replacement and another $2,000 shortly after for the convertible pump--all within about a year of taking possession of the car. Needless to say that is why I spent money for another extended warranty that gives me another several years of protection.

The other advice is to find some good local independent mechanic that knows how to track down aftermarket parts or is clever enough to repair the suspect parts.

Good luck.

Doug

Old 09-28-2011, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
THE XKR DOES USE A DIFFERANT PUMP OVER THE NA ENGINE. AND THAT 800+ PRICE IS FOR A FUEL PUMP MODULE WHICH MEENS ITS IN A PLASTIC CAN WITH LINE FITTINGS, SENDER AND CHECK VALVE. YOU CAN BUY A PUMP FOR IT AND TAKE THE CAN APART AND CHANGE JUST THE PUMP LIKE THIS ONE AT PARTSGEEKS FOR $125 PLUS THE SCREEN
03 2003 Jaguar XJR Fuel Pump - Fuel Delivery - Fuel Injection Corp. - PartsGeek
BUT ILL FORWARN YOU NOW, THAT CHECK VALVE KEEPS PRESSURE IN THE SYSTEM FOR A QUICK RESTART. AND TAKING THE MODULE APART DOES LEAD TO THE CHECK VALVE BREAKING AND OR COMING APART LATER AND LEADS TO LONGER THAN NORMAL CRANKING.......
YOURE WELCOME
THANK YOU, BRUTAL!!! That's information that I've been wondering about for nearly a year. I have the long-cranking problem. My problem, then, is that I need the piece that the fuel pump goes into. So even if I did buy myself a new fuel pump, it sounds like you're saying that it wouldn't fix my problem unless I bought the entire assembly, correct?

Old 09-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

What a shame. Thanks for guys like Brutal for such good info.

My 99 model XK8 takes a Ford Taurus/Mazda fuel pump which is a single aftermarket Airtex pump @ $58 at RockAuto.com.

Now, my local auto shop cannot get motivated to pull the tank--a difficult job. I'm going to put it on a car trailer and take it 135 miles to a real Jag Indy mechanic next week. I tried to pull the tank, but doing so on your back is very difficult.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by reverend sam
thank you, brutal!!! That's information that i've been wondering about for nearly a year. I have the long-cranking problem. My problem, then, is that i need the piece that the fuel pump goes into. So even if i did buy myself a new fuel pump, it sounds like you're saying that it wouldn't fix my problem unless i bought the entire assembly, correct?
yes

Old 09-28-2011, 07:58 PM
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

Wow! Twenty six posts in 24 hours - my plight must have hit a chord.

OP here, and And I want to thank everyone that have offered ideas and sympathy too!

I'm still on the fence about what approach to take.

Used is a good idea and I'm willing - but I have to start searching salvage yards. With used I worry about high milage potential and having sat in putrid fuel for a time..

I'd love to just layover and pop a thousand down on a new pump and filter - but that's not in my thin wallet's future. I'd go 400 to 500 - but nearly a thousand bucks? That's biting a 50cal bullet!

Thanks to member "Brutal's" very informative post. I think I'll go to work tonight taking the tank out and begin exploring the possibilities of a careful rebuild of the module using a component pump. I'm glad that we finally got an informed answer about the check valve too.

Cheers!
-Max

Old 09-28-2011, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by maxwdg
I'm glad that we finally got an informed answer about the check valve too.
I found some pictures online which show the entire assembly. The check valve is right there on the outside of the pump! I'm thinking about taking the tank out and seeing if I can either repair or replace the check valve. I just filled up, though, so it might have to wait until next weekend. When I do that I'll look to see if there are any numbers on the pump itself which might help you find a cheaper pump.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:36 AM

Rev, where did you find those pics? I'd love to see them myself!

Also, my tired bones didn't get around to pulling the tank last night. Are there any tips that I should know that will make it easier for me to do? You know how un-fun that "discovery" process is! And I hate breaking things - only to find out later how REALLY to do something....

Fun times...

Oh by the way, I had my console/dash apart about a month ago - replacing lights, cleaning the former owner's spilt coffee and coke grah-doo out of everything and putting an antenna inhibitor switch in!

Again, your videos are very helpful.

Thanks.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:05 AM
Received 309 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Try Jagbits.com

I sourced parts here before. They list the oem pump C2N1146 for $530.00.

http://jaguar-parts.jagbits.com/sear...5Bmodel%5D=XK8

Old 09-29-2011, 08:06 AM

Youll need to buy a fuel line release tool kit. You can get a assortment of white ones at autoparts store for about $10. Youll need a long skinny screw driver or something to push the fuel line tool up around the fuel line under the car over the diff(by far the hardest part of the job) spray the lines and fittings with lube since they under the car and in kc will be stuck with road crap. All you do is with the car on jack stands and the e brake cable unbolted and tied out of the way slip the fuel line tool over the fuel line and the use the long screw driver or similar tool to push the tool into the line socket evenly to unlock the fuel line and pull loose.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:19 PM

Thanks member "edobernig." That's a good price it seems! (But the PN is the NOT the PN for the XKR "C2N1147"... It is the PN for the XK8 "C2N1146") Even though the parts man a Nalley's Jaguar told me they are the same, I HAVE to wonder - Are they really?

Jagbits lists C2N1147 but doesnt have a price and says its not normally stocked.

Member "Brutal" Thanks so much for the tips on the tank removal - I read this AM about a guy that got frustrated and had a "gorilla sized" buddy of his RIP IT OUT of the trunk screwing up the lines. Lucky for me I just bought the car in Feburary from a guy in Long Beach CA and have not driven it in any KC crap so far - I hope the line removal is a bit easier for that!

Thanks,
MAX

Last edited by maxwdg; 09-29-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:55 PM
Received 93 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
Can you make a video of removing the tank. I have a 2001 XKR and I just know one day I will be removing the tamk for fuel pumps !! LOL

Old 09-29-2011, 06:06 PM
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by The Coupe
That one is for 1997-98. He needs a pump for a 2003.
Thanks for pointing out the error on our website. I have sent an e-mail to our IT guy. We usually carry just the pump in an aftermarket version which is a huge savings and even though it is listed wrong on the site, just call one of our salespersons for better information. We are transitioning to a new software system as our current one does not interface our inventory with the web site. Our data must be loaded manually so is hardly ever up to date and only about 1000 items out 250,000 items are listed. I have replaced the pump with aftermarket ones and it is not that big of a deal to take apart the housing and replace the pump. If the plastic is brittle, then you will need the whole assembly though. We also have anywhere from 300-400 late model Jaguars for parts so can usually supply a used pump. Sorry to sound like an ad but the questions and comments are in this posting so I thought I would answer them.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:18 PM
Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm very thankful that there are good quality salvage yards out there that can supply good quality used parts at a fair price.

And, for some unknown reason--Insurance companies are so quick to total out Jaguars--like a $1K bumper cover damage. There are huge numbers of Jags going into salvage yards for very little reason.

Every person on this forum should know who has salvage cars in their general vicinity, and which salvage yards are willing to sell the parts at fair profits.

I'm just thankful that some of these cars did use Ford Taurus/Mazda fuel pumps available in an Airtex pump @ RockAuto.com for approx. $60.

Last edited by Bamaman; 09-30-2011 at 07:55 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:54 PM

I got a bit of cold feet about attempting to take the assembly or what our Member "Brutal" calls it - Module apart, replacing just the pump and putting it back together. I was afraid that the plastic would be brittle and I'd break it.

I figured - as someone had already suggested, I could find a used full assembly, put that in my car to get it back on the road and then, at my leisure, dig into my original and if I could figure out how to access the pump, replace it and seal the plastic module back up - I'd have a spare on the shelf, ready to go.

I found a used one (full assembly) with a absolute no DOA guarantee, plus a 90 day guarantee beyond that. It's from a 2003 XKR with 50,000 miles.

Paid $300.00 shipped to my door from Jaguar Heaven out of Stockton, CA

I talked to the salesman, who was very familiar with those pumps, about the main problem he sees with them. When he told me the pump module that he would send me was from a 50K mile vehicle, I mentioned that my XKR only had 80K miles when the pump failed. He says, "You must run the tank really low on fuel before you fill up?" I paused for an embarrassed moment and said... Ummmmm, yeah.... I have done that more than occasionally. He didn't hesitate to offer that he bet I'd find a burned up pump inside the plastic module. Burned up, from lack of cooling - because my dumb *** had been waiting till the info-system on my gauge read 50 miles... or sometimes LESS to fill up.

Okay Guys, I'm used to driving cars that were not even manufactured in the decade I'm living in.... Ummmm, Opps, I guess my 2003 XKR wasn't either!

Well anyhoo, I'm not well versed in the care and keeping of a car that has a fuel pump that is always in danger of going all Chernobyl and sh*t !

After this expensive lesson in "The New Frontier," I don't believe I'll be letting the fuel range get below 75 miles EVER again!

BTW, I just read that a Purolator F65217 fuel filter ($10.99) will work well as a replacement for the $65+ Jag filter. Can anybody confirm this?

I cut my filter apart - trying to diagnose my fuel pressure problem - what a mistake THAT was!

Live and learn, huh?

Here's a pic of the pump assembly for a 2003 XK8 - I bet the XKR look a lot like it.

Attached Thumbnails Aaaaaaaah!  %$##@^%# Opportunists!-jaguar_xk8_2003_electric_fuel_pump_oem_c2n_1146_c2n1146.jpg  

Last edited by maxwdg; 09-29-2011 at 10:01 PM. Reason: smiley didn't work
Old 09-29-2011, 10:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by maxwdg
He says, "You must run the tank really low on fuel before you fill up?" I paused for an embarrassed moment and said... Ummmmm, yeah.... I have done that more than occasionally. He didn't hesitate to offer that he bet I'd find a burned up pump inside the plastic module. Burned up, from lack of cooling -
That seems to be a common denominator in fuel pump failures.

It doesn't help that it looks more cheaply made than some rubber containers bought from Walmart.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 761 Posts

I regularly drive another 10 miles when my board computers say 0 miles left, car runs great on fumes ;-).

But, that is for a 4.0, and there the 2 smaller fuel pumps are sitting in a sort of drum that gets filled by the flow from the return line. Maybe that’s why my fuel pumps have survived their 300.000km life, or it was just sheer luck.

Anyway, it would be interesting to see how the pump looks inside, you would expect it has been design in such a way that it can cool itself, so it wouldn't burn up on low fuel levels.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by simonnallen
Can you make a video of removing the tank. I have a 2001 XKR and I just know one day I will be removing the tamk for fuel pumps !! LOL
Sure! I'll do it just for the fun of it!

NOT!

LOL!

Old 09-30-2011, 03:15 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

BTW, I just read that a Purolator F65217 fuel filter ($10.99) will work well as a replacement for the $65+ Jag filter. Can anybody confirm this?
Well, even though Puralator's website says it isn't compatible, the filter looks just like ours. The one they say fits our 2003-2004 is actually the older style for the 2002-under MY. I'd use the $11 puralator if I had to do it again.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:47 AM

I was at the NAPA store the other day and after the filter their computer and all their books (egads.... BOOKS!) called for was one that had screw on pipe fittings. We looked for a cross. The counter guy even pulled a few boxes and went through them but the closest filter we could find DID look like the filter for the 2002 and earlier - but it was smaller in diameter and at least an inch or two longer at the pipe nipples. I didn't buy it 'cause I didn't think it would fit in the space required - and the push-on fittings probably wouldn't reach.

The computer jockey's at Advance and Autozone, after they also found the wrong filter listed, wouldn't even bother taking a look through their other filters. It aint worth their time! They just said "Just go to the dealer"...

I'm gonna go take a look at that Purolator F65217 tomorrow and see how close it is. If that doesn't look right, I'll buy the old style, cut off the pipe nipples, shorten them and braze 'em back up tight before I'll spend 6-8 times as much for the factory filter. Like I said, I took my old 'Jag" filter apart and there is absolutely NOTHING special about that filter inside.

I know I sound like a cheepskate but I'm not gonna waste the equivalent $$ of an entire tank of gasoline for a Jag sticker placed on a regular filter.

Actually, I know... I'll peel the Jag sticker off my old filter and put it on the other one before I install it...

Yes! indeed. Wow, I feel more supercilious just THINKING about that "Jag" labled filter riding along under my car!

-Max (The Posuer) Wedge

Last edited by maxwdg; 09-30-2011 at 04:52 AM. Reason: grammer

Quick Reply: Aaaaaaaah! %$##@^%# Opportunists!