XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Aaaahhhh... nothing like some fresh rubber

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 09:23 PM
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by elandfish
I know my Michelin tires are nice because I get compliments on them a lot! I'm not looking for fancy schmancy tires; instead, I'm looking for good quality, safe and reliable tires that give good handling . A tire guy told me I could get a four season Michelin the next time to save money, and get the same quality, safety and reliability.... What do you guys think? What tire is best for the money and why? Please, please, please...I don't do summer and winter tires.
I have Michelin M&S (some kind of all seasons) on mine right now. I would not buy them again; they came with the car. They are noisy, but offer better than expected performance in the (light) snow. If you must go with all seasons, i guess they are as good as any but being Michelins, probably a tad more expensive. You might want to consider getting a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks for the winter and a true summer tire for the rest of the year.

I gave up on the multi-purpose approach for every car I've owned and will be purchasing an additional set of wheels for this car, in order to have summers and snows (if needed). All season tires are too mediocre for either condition when compared to a purpose-built tire. Not to mention the summer tires are much less noisy than any all season variant and can be used for a majority of the year in NC. Just my opinion.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:33 PM
Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts

I generally agree with the winter/summer tires approach, and I have a second set of wheels with blizzaks for one of my vehicles. BUT the storage and cost are a factor for most people... I had a set of dunlop sp-sport 5000's that were quite impressive in all conditions. Ok, not the kind of grip I get from a summer tire like say, a pilot sport, but the dunlops actually wore well, had more grip than I was willing to put to the test in 99% of my driving and also cost less and were quiet through their entire tread life. So I'd recommend you check out the dunlop 5000 if available in the right size.

My experience with summer tires is not the same as the above poster's... At about half treadwear remaining, pilot sports (generally highly regarded among most) seem to develop a washboard effect to the tread. "feathering" it might be called, and this gives a nasty roar from the tires, very noticeable both in and out of the car, making it so these expensive and already-short tread life tire is only good for about half of that life. Even so, I still buy summer tires because like the above poster I'm not willing to compromise grip and the connection to the pavement. There ARE good M+S tires out there though. A good start might be to browse tire rack's category of "ultra high performance all season".

Old 04-13-2010, 01:15 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

H2Oboy,

How have the hancook tires been working out for you? You have had them for several months now and I would really appreciate an update as the prices on them is still fantastic.

As an additional aside, how many miles should I expect to get from a set of tires? I am approaching 8,000 miles and I am wondering what to expect to get above and beyond that.

Thanks very much,

Kip

Old 04-14-2010, 05:03 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Hey Kip, let me check my tread depths in the next few days, everything is progressing really well, I'm getting good wear across the entire face.

I'll give you a % used (front/rear) and number of miles since they've been installed, and let you 'interpolate' at your liesure.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:43 PM
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Matt,
Thanks for your post. I had never heard of Hankook before. My rear tires are way past due for replacement. I thought I would just replace the PS2s that were on it when I bought it. I just ordered the Hankooks from TireRack.com. You saved me several hundred $. I should be having them installed next week. I'll post again later with an update.

Steve

Old 04-18-2010, 09:07 PM
Veteran member

Steve, I hope you like them. Do follow up if you would!

Ok, here are my tread wear measurements I promised, use and extrapolate as you see fit.

Mileage: 6,504
--------------------------------------------------------------
Green = outside edge
Blue = inside edge

LF 8/32 9/32 9/32 ------------ 8/32 9/32 8/32 RF (15% used)

LR 7/32 7/32 7/32 ------------ 7/32 7/32 7/32 RR (30% used)

Last edited by H20boy; 04-19-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:43 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by h20boy

Ok, here are my tread wear measurements I promised, use and extrapolate as you see fit.

Mileage: 6,504
--------------------------------------------------------------
Green = outside edge
Blue = inside edge

LF 8/32 9/32 9/32 ------------ 8/32 9/32 8/32 RF (15% used)

LR 7/32 7/32 7/32 ------------ 7/32 7/32 7/32 RR (30% used)

I had a set of the Dunlop's that were on my XK8. I replaced them with another set of the same (245x50x17). They last about 23K miles. I replaced them with Michelin A/S Plus which I find to produce less road noise, have a better ride and grip/hold better. I'm a VERY spirted driver.
To each their own I guess.

Last edited by H20boy; 04-19-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:07 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default tread depth

Forgive my ignorance, but how did you measure the treadwear depth with such accuracy? Is there a special tool or do you use a ruler or what?

And how do you know how deep it is to start with.

Can you tell this is my first foray into the intricacy of tires?

Kip

Old 04-19-2010, 11:46 AM
Veteran member

mussed up the inside vs outside 'indicator color' - my bad (fixed)

kiphome, yes, there is a tread depth gauge you can buy at your local parts store, measures in mm or 32nds, as the original depths are always in 32nds. These tires, and most, start out at 10/32 when new.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Hey Matt, what pressures are you running?

Old 04-19-2010, 01:07 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

....and how many times (if at all) have you rotated them?

John

Old 04-19-2010, 04:19 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Bridgestone Potenza

After two plus years it was time to change out my Yokahama Advan S4 tires. After much research I decided to go with Bridgestone Potenza 960S Pole Position tires and I have been very pleased. The tires are exceptionally quiet, even more so then the Advan S4s. Handling has also been excellent. While I live in Florida it is my understanding that the new Potenzas also fair well in colder weather and moderate winter conditions. I will provide a future update when I have a few more miles on them.

Cheers!

Tim V.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:41 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by K.Westra
Hey Matt, what pressures are you running?
32 front, 29 rear

Old 04-19-2010, 10:34 PM
Location: Marin County, CA, USA - Just north of San Francisco
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

32 front, 29 rear
Matt - how is the ride? The manual says 26 front/28 rear for the softest ride. I have tried that, and still feel every ripple of the street.

Pierelli tires going to ??? for whatever proves the least harsh road feel. Thanks, DaleD

Old 04-20-2010, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by kiphome
Forgive my ignorance, but how did you measure the treadwear depth with such accuracy? Is there a special tool or do you use a ruler or what?

And how do you know how deep it is to start with.

Can you tell this is my first foray into the intricacy of tires?

Kip
Go to tirerack dot com and look at the specs of the tire that you're interested in. The spec section will tell you how many 32nds of rubber is on your tire along with a lot of other information.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:23 AM
Veteran member

Ride is pretty good, very comfortable, but I didn't drop the pressures for a softer ride per se. From the dealer used, the car had the pirellie p-zero rossos (harder tire in my opinion) at 32/34..just what the manual says. However, after going thru those, a set of falkens, and now on my hancooks, i've been slowly dropping the pressure in the rears trying to find a more even tread wear. With the pressures higher (31-34 psi) the centers always wore quicker. This way, I get a little more life out of them. I think I've found a nice compromise.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:28 AM

I found that the front tires wear the center of the tire more than the rest when running 32 lbs air pressure. I've dropped my front to 30 lbs. I'm running 34 lbs in the rear and they are wearing just fine.

DaleD we have a sport suspension so you're going to feel a bit more of the road. I feel more of the road in the Jag than I do in any other car/truck I've owned.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:26 PM
Location: Marin County, CA, USA - Just north of San Francisco
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenJewel
DaleD we have a sport suspension so you're going to feel a bit more of the road. I feel more of the road in the Jag than I do in any other car/truck I've owned.
Thanks Green J - Others have reminded me of the same thing. Mine is very secure feeling, and I really shouldn't complain - but I will shop for the "softest" tires I can find when it is time to replace the Pierelli's.

And I always thought a 'vette was the harshest riding car I had ever been in! Best, DaleD

Old 05-04-2010, 09:54 PM
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

As a follow-up: I got my new Hankook tires installed last week. I love them. The ride feels much smoother than the PS2s I had. They feel very grippy around the curves, very stable.

As a side note, I bought them from TireRack.com. I had them installed at a local NTB. I should have known better than to get them installed on a busy day. The guys mishandled the wheels and couldn't get them to stay on the tire fitting machine. The wheels popped off the machine a couple times. End result, the machine scratched the wheels in several spots.

I pointed this out to the manager and they agreed to have their wheel guy repair the damage. I must say the wheel guy did a fantastic job. He repaired the installation scratches as well as some old curb rash. The wheels look brand new now, so all is good.

Last edited by H20boy; 05-05-2010 at 12:13 AM. Reason: fixed your quotes
Old 05-05-2010, 12:14 AM
Veteran member

Very glad you like them Steve. Did you score the rebate too?

Quick Reply: Aaaahhhh... nothing like some fresh rubber